Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Fuel Mileage? (Read 6 times)
LMM
Ex Member

Fuel Mileage?
07/20/05 at 13:11:37

Looking at buying a new Suzuki Boulevard S40.  Will be riding on a daily commute (80 miles round trip).  Interested in what kind of fuel mileage you guys/gals are getting with your LS650/Savage/S40?

This will be a "fun" ride motorcycle also not just for commuting.   8)

Fuel savings for the commute is the big selling point to the wife.  Any info appreciated.

LMM

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Fuel Mileage?
Reply #1 - 07/20/05 at 13:22:03

It's a great bike.  Mileage differs since mods, riding conditions and riding habits differ.  I personally average about 57 MPG.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #2 - 07/20/05 at 13:41:19

I get right at 50mpg. Highway commute. There have been quite a few thread on this forum and others about the cost of motorcycle commuting. It is working for me. I got a good deal on my '04, I was driving a full size pickup. Gas prices just keep going up. I figured the cost per mile of the truck vs the Savage without taking the cost of purchase price into account and then offset cost of the bike with the savings (~$.20/mile for my circumstances). One thing to also consider is whether you will be doing your own wrenching.

If you are comparing a buying new bike (even a savage) vs. a used econobox, the savings won't be there to justify the motorcycle.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 07/20/05 at 14:06:40

Before I relaced the baffling in myaftermarket pipe, my old 98 Savage was pulling in the 70s mpg consistently. Currently pulls around 52 city, 70 highway the way my stepson rides it. The 800 Intruder is pulling around 46 mpg. Pathetic. I can get that mpg out of the Celica and be somewhat comfortable (if I'd get off my dead butt and fix the car that is). My truck gets 8-12 mpg.

I'm thinking about buying a late associate's 1909 Harley Silent Grey Fellow. 425cc single cylinder flathead with belt drive. 35 mph top speed, BUT, gets 160-180 mpg.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #4 - 07/20/05 at 14:06:57

8)My bone-stock '03 Savage, with almost 4000km (2500mi) on the clock,  has since new been averaging between 50 & 60 mpg (based on U.S. gallon) ... lately though I seem to have improved on that a bit?!
There's a great Thread somewhere on this Forum devoted to the LS' fuel milage ... but as previously stated it seems to vary widely due to variables such as state of tune, riding habits and modifications to stock set-up ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
sakara
2005 No Login

Thumpalicious

Lockport, NY
Reply #5 - 07/20/05 at 14:07:25

My wife and I went on a ride from Niagara Falls to Rochester (NY) and got 66mpg. '99 ls 650 stock.

Alliance Member

'86 Thumper bobber rat project.
sakara   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #6 - 07/20/05 at 15:01:30

i average a whopping 43-45 mpg.  

but then again i ride go kart style.  Grin

three throttle positions.

closed, full open,  steady after reaching speed. repeat.

it blows the milage to pieces, but it's a darn fun way to ride.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #7 - 07/20/05 at 16:45:28

LMM wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
... Will be riding on a daily commute (80 miles round trip).  ...
This will be a "fun" ride motorcycle also not just for commuting.   8)

Assuming that the commute is mostly a steady state 55-65 you can expect at least 55 mpg.

Depending on how much "fun" you have you can approach 40 mpg.

My Savage replaces my wife's (she's owned it longer than she's owned me) 1972 Camaro RS 350 LT1.  The way I drive and as bad as it is running I am saving over $.25 per mile.  

Assuming 60 mpg Savage replacing a 20 mpg car on a 80 mile round trip commute regular gas at $2.60 /gallon you are looking at  $45 week in gasoline savings --  $195/month,  $2250/year.

Toss in the depreciation of 20,000 miles/year on the cage vs. the bike. and you're looking to save another $2K a year.

With the Savage you can do most of the maintenance yourself for more savings over a cage.

You also can arrive home relaxed and ready to tackle a couple of jobs around the house versus arriving home after frustrated from fighting traffic in the cage and needing a double scotch.

WWW   IP Logged
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Reply #8 - 07/20/05 at 19:43:40

'05 S40 all stock up til 3 days ago (idle screw adjustment) Have been getting a very reliable 59mpg.  That is very little stop and go, steady 35-40 & 55-60mph.

And oh yes she is a fun bike to ride!  Even likes the off rode!!  My hubby swears we should turn her loose in the yard once in a while to keep her calm & steady on the street!  Grin

WWW sctsamj sctsamj   IP Logged
HollyHavoc
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/20/05 at 19:44:26

55-57 mpg sounds about right.  I'm still breaking her in.  @ 375 miles on her and I do like to get into her a little bit  Roll Eyes
Happy with the mpg without any highway miles.

IP Logged
LMM
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/21/05 at 03:40:39

Thanks for the info!!  I'll be able to cut my weekly fuel expense in half.  That is good enough to convince the wife.   Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 07/21/05 at 06:03:21

LMM wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Thanks for the info!!  I'll be able to cut my weekly fuel expense in half.  That is good enough to convince the wife.   Grin

My wife held out for additional life insurance...
Grin

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #12 - 07/21/05 at 06:47:25

Quote:
My wife held out for additional life insurance...

My wife bought me mine for Christmas and no mention of additional life insurance.  Shocked

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #13 - 07/21/05 at 07:35:14

My wife suggested the motorcycle in lieu of a car.  I think she's trying to kill me so she can go after a young stud.

WWW   IP Logged
Richard Amirault

Reply #14 - 07/21/05 at 09:08:25

REMEMBER: that for that kind of round trip ... you'll need to fill up the tank EVERY DAY ... (it's a small tank)

Ricahrd in Bsoton, MA, USA

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 14:35:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel Mileage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.