Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Jeans on Fire! Thanks for your help! (Read 15 times)
gandalph40
Ex Member

Re: Jeans on Fire! Thanks for your help!
Reply #30 - 07/21/05 at 06:01:22

Yep...I agree with SavageRob...take 15 minutes and change the oil.  You don't even need to replace the filter...just drain the oil, put in some multi-vis (15w50, 20w50 seems to be consensus as to the best to use, especially in hot weather).  I mean, it'll cost $6 for 2 quarts of GOOD dino juice at WalMart.  And you won't even use all of that.  It's got to be worth it just to check it out.  I mean, if your engine seizes, it is gonna ruin your day... Wink

Tom

IP Logged
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Reply #31 - 07/21/05 at 16:37:59

Thanks Savage Rob and Grandalph40, sounds like a good and reasonable plan will do the oil change and report back.

WWW sctsamj sctsamj   IP Logged
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Re: Jeans on Fire! Jet kit time?
Reply #32 - 07/27/05 at 13:02:06

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Maybe it was answered and I missed it but someone asked about the fabric of the jeans.  That could play a part.  I mean, I wear basic cotton jeans but my wife likes so-called stretch denim which has a lot of synthetic content.  It's just a possibility.

Here's a bandaid.
Leather Legs

I wear them but not for heat protection.  Although there is a slight shiny spot on the leather of my right one where I appear to have touched the exhaust once.

Thanks for that link!!  The bugs and small stones have wacked my shins good several times.  Leatherlegs are on my need to purchase list!!  Grin

RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #33 - 07/27/05 at 13:22:48

Although I've never scorched my jeans, I have melted the side & soles of my boots. I am short and "hug" the bike to reach the ground. When I rode my V-Star, I padded my pants with a silicone hot pad to keep from burning on the exhaust, but it was up around my knees. I do notice that my Rockys Jeans seem to get hotter than plain denim. And wide legs or boot cut have a tendency to touch the hot spots. Something else I read about here today, they are air cooled, do you have a tool bag in the way of the circulation?

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Reply #34 - 07/28/05 at 04:32:37

RadarORiley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Although I've never scorched my jeans, I have melted the side & soles of my boots. I am short and "hug" the bike to reach the ground. When I rode my V-Star, I padded my pants with a silicone hot pad to keep from burning on the exhaust, but it was up around my knees. I do notice that my Rockys Jeans seem to get hotter than plain denim. And wide legs or boot cut have a tendency to touch the hot spots. Something else I read about here today, they are air cooled, do you have a tool bag in the way of the circulation?

That hot pad idea is a good one! I did notice my cotton blends are to hot, I only wear 100% cotton now, and upgrading to something like Rocky is an excellent thought.  I do have a tool bag, very interesting idea there, something to consider if I get a repeat.
Thanks a million! Cheesy

Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Reply #35 - 07/28/05 at 04:37:15

So took in the ride for a shifting issue, just very briefly mentioned to the tech that I seemed to get excessive backfire.  Of course his reply was "they do that", as I well know.  But just asked in case a new "fix" was out there.  After he had it one day he called and said it backfires way too much!  Now I didnt think so, but his riding style and mine are probably different.  So he got permission from Suzuki to mess with the Carb and idle and reset somethings.  Yesterday and this morning not near as much heat on my legs!!  Glad I took it in.
Thanks everyone Smiley

Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #36 - 07/28/05 at 05:18:22

It's too lean.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 07:51:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Jeans on Fire! Thanks for your help!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.