Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Jeans on Fire! Thanks for your help! (Read 15 times)
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Re: Jeans on Fire! Jet kit time?
Reply #15 - 07/18/05 at 12:18:58

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Same jeans?  Same style, I mean.  Tight legs or loose?  I got half a mind (normally) to find an old piece of denim and put it on a hot clyinder head just to see how it burns.....

And, it isn't too far fetched for the head to be that hot at around 400 - 450 degrees, but the engine is more narrow than the tank so how does this happen without direct contact?

Does your bike run right?  Does this happen in slow traffic on a hot day?

Greg_650, first i should say thank you for continuing to humor yourself with me and my challenge! Same style jeans, areas were just approx. 1/2inch apart.  I do not think I want my jeans to touch it at 400 degrees! It has been 85-90 degrees and so humid you can barely breathe around here lately. Bike seems to run right, except occassionally gears not engaging on first attempt during downshifting.

WWW sctsamj sctsamj   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #16 - 07/18/05 at 12:23:32

Just to throw another question in. Is it possible you are contacting either the muffler or header pipe when you are either riding or putting your feet down to dismount or just stopping? It doesn't take long for the muffler to melt things. Embarrassed Are the jeans 100% cotton or synthetic (big temperature difference for "scorching")

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #17 - 07/18/05 at 12:50:20

Paula71 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:

Greg_650, first i should say thank you for continuing to humor yourself with me and my challenge! Same style jeans, areas were just approx. 1/2inch apart.  I do not think I want my jeans to touch it at 400 degrees! It has been 85-90 degrees and so humid you can barely breathe around here lately. Bike seems to run right, except occassionally gears not engaging on first attempt during downshifting.

Ah, Humor, a wonderful thing....but I'm not doing this at your expense.  Really.  And trust me, this isn't just a challenge for you...we're all in this one

Don't get me wrong, but if I don't ask what seems to be the silliest, strangest or the most redundant of questions for things that are rather inconceiveable and outrageous anyway, we'll never figure it out.  After all, I'm pretty sure that "Jeans on Fire" is not listed in the troubleshooting section of the manual.  Okay?

Never realized the actual temperature of the engine parts, did you?  Most people don't either.  We're all too used to watching a water temp gage in a car and worrying if it gets up to boiling.  So the idea of temps like that can be surprising.  Just remember this is an air cooled engine just like your lawnmower....

The head/cylinder metal can easily reach those temps; especially near the exhaust port.  The temps inside your exhaust header pipe are even higher than that, as there is pretty close to an open flame going on there.

Oh, did I mention that the cooling fins on the engine do work?  Way out on the edges, it isn't nearly as hot as it is at the bottom of those fins....heat is dissipated into the air and water (and clothing) that comes in contact with them....so they are most likely not actually 400.

You aren't mad at me, are you?  I am trying to help.  

So, let me ask, do you iron your jeans?

8)

IP Logged
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Reply #18 - 07/18/05 at 12:55:35

mornhm - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Just to throw another question in. Is it possible you are contacting either the muffler or header pipe when you are either riding or putting your feet down to dismount or just stopping? It doesn't take long for the muffler to melt things. Embarrassed Are the jeans 100% cotton or synthetic (big temperature difference for "scorching")

I have wondered that , too.  The burn is to high on my leg to be a muffler burn when my feet are down. And my legs do not touch anything when I am riding, they are just long enought to reach the pegs with little room to move around Smiley

Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #19 - 07/18/05 at 13:06:03

Do you have a digital camera?  Maybe you could sit on the bike and have someone shoot a picture of your leg with your foot on the peg.....an idea....

IP Logged
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Reply #20 - 07/18/05 at 13:18:56

You aren't mad at me, are you?  I am trying to help.  

So, let me ask, do you iron your jeans?

8)

Heavens No! To both questions. Never occured to me that you were not just helping Grin Ironing? hmmm you may want to describe what exactly that is!!! Ha Ha  If I can't wash and wear I dont buy it!!

My header pipe has begun the change to gold.  I do have a medium weight cotton denim, maybe that is all it is? But I would not then understand why it has only happened two times out of 1300 miles?  Maybe it will not again?
I guess I will be adding a new jet , messing with the idle screw and white spacer in the next day or two to get rid of that hesitation. I will not expect it to prevent further scorches though from what you have said.  But , hey it is time to start some mods anyhoo. Grin

Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Reply #21 - 07/18/05 at 13:22:34

Do you have a digital camera?  Maybe you could sit on the bike and have someone shoot a picture of your leg with your foot on the peg.....an idea....

Sometimes it works , sometimes it doesn't (the camera). It is an idea though.

Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #22 - 07/18/05 at 13:24:42

Heavens No! To both questions. Never occured to me that you were not just helping Grin Ironing? hmmm you may want to describe what exactly that is!!! Ha Ha  If I can't wash and wear I dont buy it!!

My header pipe has begun the change to gold.  I do have a medium weight cotton denim, maybe that is all it is? But I would not then understand why it has only happened two times out of 1300 miles?  Maybe it will not again?
I guess I will be adding a new jet , messing with the idle screw and white spacer in the next day or two to get rid of that hesitation. I will not expect it to prevent further scorches though from what you have said.  But , hey it is time to start some mods anyhoo. Grin

Whew, I can rule out that possibility.  My spouse doesn't let me iron anything 'cause I usually scorch it.....Smiley

The gold color is kinda nice if you ask me.  It is also normal.  Blue is the color to avoid.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #23 - 07/18/05 at 13:34:34

Maybe it was answered and I missed it but someone asked about the fabric of the jeans.  That could play a part.  I mean, I wear basic cotton jeans but my wife likes so-called stretch denim which has a lot of synthetic content.  It's just a possibility.

Here's a bandaid.
Leather Legs

I wear them but not for heat protection.  Although there is a slight shiny spot on the leather of my right one where I appear to have touched the exhaust once.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #24 - 07/18/05 at 21:31:37

I wear rain gear when it is cold, or drizzling. If it is raining raining, I drive my truck.  The raingear didn't touch the pipe at all, no telltale plastic gunk baked onto the pipe.

I currently ride a VS800 Intruder, liquid cooled, with very tightly tucked exhaust pipes. Gets just as hot.

100% cotton jeans (Wrangler cowboy/boot cut).

Whatever the cause, it's a pain in the butt. I WILL be switching to low/no alcohol fuel and see if it makes a difference. 18 years of riding air cooled motorcycles, and this is the first year the excess heat has happened, in ANY of them.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #25 - 07/19/05 at 07:21:04

Well, I left the Leather Legs at home this morning so I could check this out a little more.  It was 79 F on the ride in so it was too cool to tell anything.  It'll be better when it's 97 F this evening.  I'm not sure it'll be a decent comparison though, since I'm still wearing boots and my header still has that ugly-ass wrap on it.  I really need to take that stuff off.  It insulates well but I think it's just plain unsightly.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
gandalph40
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 07/20/05 at 05:48:33

Let me ask an obvious question about this...have you checked the oil level or added oil recently (since the scorching incident)?  What grade/weight oil are you using?  I'm trying to think of something, like perhaps the fuel issue, that could make the engine run hotter.  My reaction was that, if it's running hot enough to scorch fabric from several inches away, you might be close to an engine lock-up.  Just another "silly question" to ask in pursuit of this mystery.

Tom

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #27 - 07/20/05 at 07:08:01

Yeah, I think someone mentioned the possibility of a different grade of oil earlier but I don't recall a response.  I was curious too.

Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Reply #28 - 07/20/05 at 20:10:24

Okay guys don't beat me up, but last oil change used Suzuki 10W40. And yes this did start in under 400 miles of oil change. Alot of gear slipping when shifting, also.  I have not had another incident only two. But I now hold my legs way out away from everything!!  Cant fix it , Manage it!
Hope it ain't gonna lock up on me. Undecided

Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Jeans on Fire! Thanks for your help!
Reply #29 - 07/21/05 at 05:53:14

If you feel that much heat and even suspect the oil is too thin/light weight, I'd change it.  I am very satisfied with Maxum 4 Extra synthetic and don't get clutch slippage.  However, to make it as simple and easy as possible, just get a plain old 15w50 dino oil and replace yours.  Then see if you have the same symptoms.  I don't know about anyone else, but that's what I'd do.

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 09:40:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Jeans on Fire! Thanks for your help!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.