Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Valve Adjust?
Reply #30 - 06/09/05 at 20:07:21

Sitting on my canvas folding camp stool on the left/port side of the bike, I only turned clockwise.  I watched the valves closely tonight and could easily tell intake and exhaust but couldn't tell much else by sight alone.  So I just turned it to TDC several times and each time felt the rockers/tappets until one time at TDC all four had a touch of play.  At that point I adjusted all four and tightened them so that all are between .003 and .004 when tight.  I put everything back together and she purrs.  Oh yeah, I didn't think my header gasket all that worn but I replaced it anyway and like magic, the last of my backfires disappeared.

If I don't ride her to work tomorrow, I'll find some kind of mount/mountain to ride to on Sunday.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #31 - 06/10/05 at 07:23:54

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Sitting on my canvas folding camp stool on the left/port side of the bike, I only turned clockwise.  

Warning.  "Warning Will Robinson"!!!

I hate to say it, but DO NOT turn the engine clockwise from that position on the port side (yes, I was a sailor).  In fact, never turn the engine in a direction opposite the direction of operating rotation.  

Rule of thumb...rotation direction on all bike engines (except flat horizontal ones) is always the same direction as the tire rotation.  See the arrows on the tire side walls?  Turn the engine that way only...it doesn't matter which side you're on.

Reason #1 - the engine turns counter-clockwise from the left side...

Reason #2 - that timing bolt on the rotor is left hand thread....that is a loosening direction.

Reason #3 - turning that way is rotating the cam chain backwards which puts any cam chain slack in the wrong direction through the gears and the tensioner, and the valves aren't timed correctly (in reverse)...

Reason #4 - you are rotating the starter clutch in the wrong direction...which is turning the starter gears against the starter....the clutch is engaged in that direction.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #32 - 06/10/05 at 07:28:48

Oh yeah, I didn't think my header gasket all that worn but I replaced it anyway and like magic, the last of my backfires disappeared.

On the other hand....that is a good point about a sealed header and backfires.

By the way...you are getting the hang of this mechanicing stuff.  Keep it up.

Grin

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #33 - 06/10/05 at 07:37:24

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Warning.  "Warning Will Robinson"!!!

I hate to say it, but DO NOT turn the engine clockwise from that position on the port side (yes, I was a sailor).  In fact, never turn the engine in a direction opposite the direction of operating rotation.  

Rule of thumb...rotation direction on all bike engines (except flat horizontal ones) is always the same direction as the tire rotation.  See the arrows on the tire side walls?  Turn the engine that way only...it doesn't matter which side you're on.

Reason #1 - the engine turns counter-clockwise from the left side...

Reason #2 - that timing bolt on the rotor is left hand thread....that is a loosening direction.

Reason #3 - turning that way is rotating the cam chain backwards which puts any cam chain slack in the wrong direction through the gears and the tensioner, and the valves aren't timed correctly (in reverse)...

Reason #4 - you are rotating the starter clutch in the wrong direction...which is turning the starter gears against the starter....the clutch is engaged in that direction.

Thanks Greg, I was just figuring out how to explain the issue of rotation. Think we discussed this way back.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #34 - 06/10/05 at 08:00:33

I thought it was odd to rotate opposite normal engine rotation but I'm an amateur so I did as the manual stated.  I hope I didn't do any damage.  Clockwise was the direction the Clymer specified.  I rode her in today and she seems okay so far.  Do I now need to readjust the valves rotating the other direction?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #35 - 06/10/05 at 08:16:14

Hmm, I hope I didn't do any damage.  Clockwise was the direction the Clymer specified.  I rode her in today and she seems okay so far.  Do I now need to readjust the valves rotating the other direction?

Just another point.  I think that my SSM specifically states not to rotate it that way, but I knew it anyway from experience.

No telling the interpretation in the Clymer.  They could have been referencing it from the starboard side instead of port, too.  On the clutch side that would be correct.  In this case, it is a matter of having the experience to know to "read between the lines".

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Sounds like it is working fine so just leave it alone.  I was only using your post as a lesson for everyone.  You are using your manual and working on your bike.  That is commendable.  In time, the whole engine will be a simple spinning animation in your head and these details will be second nature.  Keep it up    Shocked

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #36 - 06/10/05 at 08:19:22

By the way, the same rules apply in a car engine too, but there it doesn't involve the starter because automotive engines use a starter solenoid to engage the starter.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #37 - 06/10/05 at 08:21:09

No telling the interpretation in the Clymer.  They could have been referencing it from the starboard side instead of port, too.

I'll check it again but I'm pretty sure it specified the left side because they went through removing the timing cap there first.  They even show a picture of the wrench I got for it.  Mine is Motion Pro and they state Honda makes one.  Anyway, good stuff to remember and I guess I'll leave it alone then.  I was just concerned because you pointed out that the valves aren't time properly when turning it in reverse.  Thanks for the advice.  As always, it's much appreciated.

Note:  I've also decided to order the factory manual.

Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #38 - 06/10/05 at 08:33:15

I was just concerned because you pointed out that the valves aren't time properly when turning it in reverse.

Note:  I've also decided to order the factory manual.

Free play is free play, and I assume that you found the point where the valves were completely closed and there was actual tappet freeplay before you started.

At this point, the worst that could have been done is to make the valves too loose.  Really.  The worst you could have done is to ADD another .003"-.004" to what existed...just think about it and you'll see what I mean.  No way to make them too tight if the valve was slightly open when you started.

Besides, if you did, you'll also HEAR the freeplay, and you used the word "Purr" before 8)

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #39 - 06/10/05 at 08:52:50

Free play is free play, and I assume that you found the point where the valves were completely closed and there was actual tappet freeplay before you started.

At this point, the worst that could have been done is to make the valves too loose.  Really.  The worst you could have done is to ADD another .003"-.004" to what existed...just think about it and you'll see what I mean.  No way to make them too tight if the valve was slightly open when you started.

Besides, if you did, you'll also HEAR the freeplay, and you used the word "Purr" before 8)

They were too loose from the way I'd set them the night before when they were not at TDCC but I did not run her because I was not satisfied at all that I'd done it correctly.  
And yes, she did purr last night and this morning on the way to work - no clatter that I could discern.
Oh, and I guess I spoke a little early on the backfires.  I still have a few.  I may still have a slight exhaust leak and I know my carb is not quite yet where I want it (stuck idle mixture screw and such).  I'll get her there though.

Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #40 - 06/10/05 at 08:53:13

thanks for the posts folks - setting the valves this weekend on the '02 - either before or after the ride - anyway - I might not have even thought about the direction and I know better - but working on some of these 2-strokes may have corrupted my brains - several of the older golf carts to not have a reverse - you flip a and start the engine backwards if you want to go backwards - dangest thing when I first start fooling with them - but there's no valve train to worry about

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #41 - 06/11/05 at 22:57:51

Rob (and all the other Savage rocker-heads),
The Savage cam is tame. If your rockers were loose and you were on the mark, you are OK. The Savage's OHC cover makes it a little trickier to watch. On a V-8 pushrod motor where you can see both rockers this is the easy way, but this works for any conventional 4-stroke:

Forget the timing mark, just bump the motor.
Adjust the Intake valve lash when the EXHAUST valve begins to open, this will assure that the intake valve is on the heel of the intake lobe.

Adjust the Exhaust valve when the INTAKE valve has just closed so the exhaust is on its base circle.

When I say bump it, just tap the starter so you get no crank speed.
If you think you bumped it too far or the crank coasted past where it should be, just bump the starter a few more times, to roll the crank around twice(=1 time for the cam) and bring the opposite rocker to the right position and make sure you are able to rattle the rocker you are adjusting up and down a little before you set the lash.
Oh yeah, since this is a thumper you may need to pull  the spark plug to get the crank to stop in the right position.

easy huh Wink

They were too loose from the way I'd set them the night before when they were not at TDCC but I did not run her because I was not satisfied at all that I'd done it correctly.  
And yes, she did purr last night and this morning on the way to work - no clatter that I could discern.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #42 - 06/12/05 at 06:28:24

Mr 650 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Rob (and all the other Savage rocker-heads),
The Savage cam is tame. If your rockers were loose and you were on the mark, you are OK. The Savage's OHC cover makes it a little trickier to watch. On a V-8 pushrod motor where you can see both rockers this is the easy way, but this works for any conventional 4-stroke:

Forget the timing mark, just bump the motor.
Adjust the Intake valve lash when the EXHAUST valve begins to open, this will assure that the intake valve is on the heel of the intake lobe.

Adjust the Exhaust valve when the INTAKE valve has just closed so the exhaust is on its base circle.

When I say bump it, just tap the starter so you get no crank speed.
If you think you bumped it too far or the crank coasted past where it should be, just bump the starter a few more times, to roll the crank around twice(=1 time for the cam) and bring the opposite rocker to the right position and make sure you are able to rattle the rocker you are adjusting up and down a little before you set the lash.
Oh yeah, since this is a thumper you may need to pull  the spark plug to get the crank to stop in the right position.

easy huh Wink

Well, in truth, if you turn the crank, find free play on the rocker...no matter what position...it would work.  You're cheating, though....you've jumped classes from Mechanical Concepts 101 to Shade Tree Methods 301  Grin

IP Logged
defrag
Ex Member

Reply #43 - 06/21/05 at 19:39:56

wheres the timing plug at? can you use normal tools to remove it?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #44 - 06/21/05 at 22:38:07

Left side cover of the engine, it is the little slotted circle. If by normal tools you mean a screwdriver, not really. A washer that fits the slot works better, just stick a long spike or hefty screwdriver through the washer to get the needed leverage (very little, timing plugs are SOFT!!!).  I despise the Virago series (horrible electrical systems), but at least Yamaha was smart enough to use a hex head on the plug instead of a slot. And the things STILL shatter if you look at them wrong.

Be patient, judiciously apply penetrating oil if needed, have a couple cups of coffee, and go for it. If you feel the slightest amount of resistance from the plug, STOP. Regroup, apply oil, let it sit, and then try again. Picking a broken timing plug out of an engine case is NO fun. I broke 3 this week on Viragoes and Maxims.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 17:46:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Valve Adjust?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.