Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Valve Adjust?
Reply #60 - 06/26/05 at 09:42:27

Boy, I got here just in time.... 8)

(great pics, BTW)

First, where is your manual?  It should tell you that the paint mark on the bolt is supposed to line up with the small groove in the threaded hole...at the 3:00 position.  

That is TDC for the piston on either the compression or the exhaust stroke.  Now you gotta find when both sets of valves are completely closed....

So watch when the intake valves open (piston going down) and then close.  When the intake valves close the piston will start going up on the compression stroke....now, line up the paint mark at 3:00 and adjust your valves...

See, what I mean about shortcuts?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #61 - 06/26/05 at 09:44:41

Oh yeah, you're very correct to turn the engine in a counter-clockwise direction with that bolt....good point  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #62 - 06/26/05 at 10:05:30

Okay, here's the "rest of the story...."

The paint mark and the groove in the hole are for tune ups and regular maintenance.  You see them at the red arrow.

With the case removed, there is another mark for TDC.  This is located on the top of the rotor and lines up with a "V" shape that is cast in the crankcase (kinda silly that the blue arrow covers part of it...what can I say?).

IP Logged
defrag
Ex Member

Reply #63 - 06/26/05 at 11:41:02

copy greg thanks, thats what i figured. im having a bit of trouble squeezing all the tools into place, but i imagine with a bit of finesse i can get in there. now the screw should be tight with the .005 feeler before i snug up the bolt correct? im having to jam it in there pretty hard now. the diffrence between .003-.005 is hardly even noticeable on the feelers themselves.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #64 - 06/26/05 at 12:01:58

defrag wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
copy greg thanks, thats what i figured. im having a bit of trouble squeezing all the tools into place, but i imagine with a bit of finesse i can get in there. now the screw should be tight with the .005 feeler before i snug up the bolt correct? im having to jam it in there pretty hard now. the diffrence between .003-.005 is hardly even noticeable on the feelers themselves.

Yeah, it might have been nice if the engineers had made that cover a bit bigger so you could actually see and work in there at the same time...plus getting the tools around the frame.  But you're on the right track, and with patience you won't have to do this for a long time to come.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #65 - 06/26/05 at 12:46:39

Yup.  Got the better half to hold a flashlight for me and it helped a lot in being able to tell what I was doing.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
defrag
Ex Member

Reply #66 - 06/26/05 at 13:18:40

Grin success! i think. lol

it sounds lots smoother, i can only hear the tick if i try too. idle is fine as well.

its still cutting out after idling for a while or if i try to give it gas. then it wont restart unless you let it sit for about 5-10 mins, then it will do the same thing.

hmmm. any ideas? check out this pic here of my diaphram slide. that doesnt look normal to me.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #67 - 06/26/05 at 14:19:04

You officially have a galled carb slide. THAT is why I run two stroke oil in every tank. Don't know why it works, but it works. Polish it with a filthy dollar bill, reinstall, and add some oil to the gas. Will work for awhile while you wait on the new slide to arrive.
-WD

Info taken from years of tinkering and the Heise Savage forum. It works. Just don't ask me why. I don't know (and don't care to find out to be honest).

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
defrag
Ex Member

Reply #68 - 06/26/05 at 14:21:07

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Info taken from years of tinkering and the Heise Savage forum. It works. Just don't ask me why. I don't know (and don't care to find out to be honest).

lol, quite an interesting fix. any suggestions on a place to order a new slide? also do you think this could be the cause of my bike cutting out after a few mins of idling?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #69 - 06/26/05 at 14:27:36

Try BikeBandit or RonAyers. Or the dealership if need be (choice of last resort).

Odds are the slide was causing the problems. It's pretty common to the Japanese bikes. Even the mechanical slides will gall and stick.  Angry

Sure wish regular carbs were still made for motorcycles. You know, like a Weber sidedraft without a slide system...
-WD

It can't be THAT hard to fit a 240Z carb...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
defrag
Ex Member

Reply #70 - 06/26/05 at 14:33:31

ouch, looks like $80 for just that assembly. might as well just get a new carb. i see bobo selling a souped up stocker on ebay, looks promising. or maybe... somethign bigger  Shocked

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #71 - 06/27/05 at 03:20:15

Yeah man go for the AMAL.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #72 - 06/27/05 at 05:37:40

defrag wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Grin success! i think. lol

it sounds lots smoother, i can only hear the tick if i try too. idle is fine as well.

its still cutting out after idling for a while or if i try to give it gas. then it wont restart unless you let it sit for about 5-10 mins, then it will do the same thing.

hmmm. any ideas? check out this pic here of my diaphram slide. that doesnt look normal to me.

http://uploads.jzl.us/files/carbslide.jpg
http://uploads.jzl.us/files/carbslide2.jpg

How deep are the marks in the slide?  Picture is just a bit fuzzy.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #73 - 06/27/05 at 08:23:05

I guess I'm thinking along the same lines as Greg - that doesn't look bad enough to worry about to me - I guess I consider the black coating as sacrifical - on the mikunis I have when the slide was dragging it has acted different than you describe - normally hangs on the way down, doesn't close the main jet at ldle to mid throttle and floods the devil out of the engine - good cleaning of the slide and bore take care it - I use electric contact cleaner and a clean clean rag to do it

But you describe an engine happily at idle that just dies and will not start for 5-10 minutes - I might pull the air box to carb intake tube so I could watch the slide and see if the slide is acting correct.

IP Logged
defrag4

Reply #74 - 06/27/05 at 20:15:48

the marks are definetly there and you can feel em, however i tried my best to clean it with some carb cleaner. same problem.

i guess i can try to watch it with the filter off as reelthing suggested.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 19:06:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Valve Adjust?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.