Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Adjusting handlebars (left to right) (Read 11 times)
Richard Amirault

Adjusting handlebars (left to right)
06/29/05 at 10:31:37

I bought my 04 second hand (actually a salvage bike)  I repaired the obvious damage and it is now registered and on the road. There are a few dings in the gas tank that I will live with, but ..

I've noticed that the handlebars are not "aimed" correctly. There is a slight twist to the right. The bars do not appear to be bent, but shifted on their mounts.  When I look down past the bars to the V shaped thing at the top of the forks (don't know it's official name) you can see that the front edge of the bar on the left side is closer to the edge of the V shaped thing than on the right side.

It wasn't a problem until I decided to add a windwhield (purchased, but not installed yet)   If I mount the windshield with way the bars are now it won't be "square" with the wind.

How do I straighten the bars?

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Re: Adjusting handlebars (left to right)
Reply #1 - 06/29/05 at 12:18:29

The part you are referring to is called a triple clamp or triple tree. If this part is bent then you have trouble. It could also mean your forks and or steering stem plus lower triple clamp could be bent as well. Those are all worst case scenerios. When you compress the forks do you notice sticking or binding on one side? Disregard the bars and sight the forks for straightness. Are they straight?  In your post you say the bars are not bent yet you want to straighten them. If you had a mechanic check the bike to get it roadworthy then I would hope the worst case parts mentioned above are fine. Check the obvious parts first. Take your handlebars off and strip them of all attachments and check for straightness  with a straightedge or level, or by sight. Unbolt the risers that clamp the bars on, and check that they are straight as well. Chances are you have a bent handlebar. Does it appear new or can you tell if it is original?

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #2 - 06/29/05 at 12:47:19

Sounds like you might have a bent riser bolt. The two clamp like things (risers) the handle bar goes through are mounted to the triple tree using long bolts. When the bike gets dropped a lot of the impact is transfered through the handle bars and can bend the bolts. To check them you need to remove the handle bar and unscrew the two nuts on the bottom of the triple tree, one per riser. You shouldn't need to disconnect any cables or controls, just remove the handlebars from the risers and lay them on the gas tank with a shop towel on the tank to protect the paint.To see if the bolts are bent just roll them on a flat surface, they usually bend right below the head. Luck on your scoot.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Richard Amirault

Reply #3 - 06/30/05 at 09:37:12

Ok .. that sound like it just might be the problem.   It might take me a while to get around to do this ... but if I assume that those bolts are the problem now, and order replacement bolts NOW .. they should come in by the time I'm ready to tackle the job Wink

By the way ..the bike is a 2004 that got rear ended and ended up in a salvage yard (that specilizes in motorcycles) ... the bike had 76 miles on the odometer!! (about 2800 miles on it now)

Had to replace the rear fender, tail light, and one of the turn signals, as well as the right side rear view mirror.  The sissy bar was torn off (but I got new rails and a sissy bar off eBay)

Again thanks for help.

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #4 - 06/30/05 at 14:31:53

Richard,
Don't make the classic rookie  mistake of  choosing to make the repair that is easiest  rather than diagnosing the exact problem. Don't take shortcuts. Aproach this repair with the tenacity of a surgeon. Do what I said in my post.

>>Unbolt the risers that clamp the bars on, and check that they are straight as well. <<

If they are indeed bent you will see this when you expose the threaded portion. You will then have a positive negative. It cost nothing to do this and you won't be paying for parts needlessly. If they prove to be straight you then know you have to continue until you discover the problem.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #5 - 07/01/05 at 02:15:22

Here's some more about handlebars and risers.

I installed  Intruder risers ( about 3" high) and a HD steering bar.

After that I wanted to change the oil in the forklegs. You have to undo the forkcaps, the big bolts on top of the legs. I used the handlebar to hold the bike while undoing the bolts. In this proces I twisted the rubber inside the risers.

So i had to loosen the handlebar clamps and the riser bolts. Put every thing in it's proper position, torqued the riserbolts and the bar clamps, inserted the cotterpins , finished.

Hope this helps.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #6 - 07/04/05 at 12:30:11

It could just be that the handlebars twisted due to the impact of a fall. I had this happen to me and basically all I had to do was take them off (loosen them) and reset them. Nothing was actually bent they had just twisted on the triple tree. With a helper it only took about 5 minutes to fix. Good luck.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Bluejeanz
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/06/05 at 16:11:57

Susan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
It could just be that the handlebars twisted due to the impact of a fall. I had this happen to me and basically all I had to do was take them off (loosen them) and reset them. Nothing was actually bent they had just twisted on the triple tree. With a helper it only took about 5 minutes to fix. Good luck.

I had the exact same problem right after I got my bike.  I dropped it like the second day I had it and my handlebars were crooked.  But all it took was loosening them and straightening them back up.  No real damage done.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 20:22:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Adjusting handlebars (left to right)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.