Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Valve Adjust?
Reply #16 - 06/03/05 at 10:26:54

Yeah, I have the tappet wrenches and feeler gauges but am awaiting delivery of the wrench.  I ordered one yesterday.

Oh yeah, when I ordered the feeler gauges from BikeBandit, they backordered it and then sent a single gauge instead of the set of 6.  Don't use the email address for customer care - use their email tool on their site.  Once I actually got their attention, they fixed the error quickly.  They didn't want to bother with getting the 1 extra gauge back either - not that it'd be worth the shipping for a $4 item.  Just an FYI.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #17 - 06/03/05 at 12:49:15

Angled feeler gauges?  D@mn, you guys got it too easy.  I keep forgetting and so when I need to do this, I end up doing it the hard way with straight ones.

The range is .003"-.005" and I always snug the rocker with a .005" feeler, and remove.  Then when I completely tighten the 10 MM nut it just about always closes up to .004"....and middle works for me.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #18 - 06/04/05 at 02:00:13

Like my SR500 but with twice the number of valves.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #19 - 06/04/05 at 03:02:11

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Angled feeler gauges?  D@mn, you guys got it too easy.  I keep forgetting and so when I need to do this, I end up doing it the hard way with straight ones.

The range is .003"-.005" and I always snug the rocker with a .005" feeler, and remove.  Then when I completely tighten the 10 MM nut it just about always closes up to .004"....and middle works for me.
http://home.comcast.net/~gmdinusa/ValveAdjust01web1000.jpg

Nice picture
But do you remove the engine to set the valve clearence?

Greetz
Kropatchek

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #20 - 06/04/05 at 05:55:54

Kropatchek wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Nice picture
But do you remove the engine to set the valve clearence?

Greetz
Kropatchek

Oh, did I forget to mention that?  It isn't mentioned in the manual either.

Only remove the engine if you want to take really clear pictures.  Otherwise, it is much easier to adjust the valves with the engine installed   Shocked

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #21 - 06/08/05 at 18:23:50

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
The wrench and screwdriver will probably work but with the limited space, I thought I'd prefer the specialized tools like the Motion Pro Tappet Tool Set.  Oh, and the feeler gauges and timing plug wrench make the job easier.

Okay, evaluation time...
While the tappet toolset might be fun on some other engines (or this one if it's out of the frame), I couldn't seem to get it into where it was needed.  An open end wrench and an offset screwdriver were what I used.  The feeler gauges worked fine, though I'm glad I had two of each size because I had to bend the handles slightly to get them into place.  The timing cover wrench is a good investment.

TDC was at about 3 o'clock on mine and I'd guess that's probably standard.  I'm pretty sure this was the first time the valves were adjusted and they were TIGHT - I mean no gap at all.  It took between 3/4 and 1 full turn out to open a gap.  I set them snug on .005 and once tightened, they were at .003.  Just my experiences this time.  I hope this helps someone else.  If any of this sounds horribly wrong to anyone, let me know.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #22 - 06/08/05 at 20:23:02

So if they were dang near closed up you had no clicking to worry with - so was it missing or anything after it got hot before the adjust?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #23 - 06/08/05 at 20:41:23

No, I was retorquing the head cover bolts at TDC and just figured it was time to adjust 'em while I was in there.  I must admit the instructions in the Clymer are a little odd - at least to me.  I mean, I see the timing mark and can align it easily enough for TDC - now whether that is TDCC I don't know.  The Clymer says to set it at the mark and then check that all rockers have free play.  Then it goes on to say that if they don't, you should rotate the engine another 180 degrees and check again for free play and to be sure it's on the timing mark again too.  NOW, if it was on the timing mark and I rotate it 180 degrees, it darn sure won't be on the timing mark again.  I'll play with it some more tomorrow and won't crank it until I'm sure I've done it properly but if someone could clarify how to achieve TDCC, it'd be helpful.  I guess I could always pull the plug and insert a dowel to see when the piston rises.  Nah, the piston has to rise on the exhaust stroke too.  Hmmm...  I'll get it one way or another.

SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #24 - 06/08/05 at 20:52:41

I guess nobody here works on airplane huh?!# How about try do adjust/remove/replace a component by feel only  Angry

I think if you don't have the right tools or the patient, then cough up the mula for the mechanic and let him do it right and save the grief Grin

SavageDude

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #25 - 06/08/05 at 21:00:44

SavageDude wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I guess nobody here works on airplane huh?!# How about try do adjust/remove/replace a component by feel only  Angry

I think if you don't have the right tools or the patient, then cough up the mula for the mechanic and let him do it right and save the grief Grin

SavageDude  

That's no fun and I don't learn anything.  I guess I'll just watch the valves as I turn the engine and see what stroke it's on.

SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #26 - 06/08/05 at 21:09:42

[glow=red,2,300]That's no fun and I don't learn anything. [/glow]

Savage_Rob

So true, so true   Cheesy

Like you said, I watch the valves very closely everytime that 3 o'clock mark line up, if none of them move. I am in TDDC(spelling ???)

SavageDude

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #27 - 06/09/05 at 05:40:00

No, I was retorquing the head cover bolts at TDC and just figured it was time to adjust 'em while I was in there.  I must admit the instructions in the Clymer are a little odd - at least to me.  I mean, I see the timing mark and can align it easily enough for TDC - now whether that is TDCC I don't know.  The Clymer says to set it at the mark and then check that all rockers have free play.  Then it goes on to say that if they don't, you should rotate the engine another 180 degrees and check again for free play and to be sure it's on the timing mark again too.  NOW, if it was on the timing mark and I rotate it 180 degrees, it darn sure won't be on the timing mark again.  I'll play with it some more tomorrow and won't crank it until I'm sure I've done it properly but if someone could clarify how to achieve TDCC, it'd be helpful.  I guess I could always pull the plug and insert a dowel to see when the piston rises.  Nah, the piston has to rise on the exhaust stroke too.  Hmmm...  I'll get it one way or another.

Confusing?  Maybe.  There are 2 TDC positions.  One on the exhaust stroke (with the exhaust valves open) and one on the compression stroke with all valves closed.  That is where you want to be.

If you find it easier, you can remove the plug to rotate the engine.  To feel when the valves are free is a matter of touch, though.  Very small movement.  Just watch the valves as you go through a couple revolutions and you'll see where the position is....

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #28 - 06/09/05 at 06:28:38

Will do, thanks.  After I thought about it, I figured I could see them move and determine when it was on the compression stroke.  Exhaust forward and intake aft, correct?

Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #29 - 06/09/05 at 15:29:17

Will do, thanks.  After I thought about it, I figured I could see them move and determine when it was on the compression stroke.  Exhaust forward and intake aft, correct?

That's right.

Did you turn the engine anti clockwise when looking from the left side or did you follow Clymer's instructions ?

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

And yes I worked on airplanes and did my share of replacing components and other stuff by feel.

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 15:16:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Valve Adjust?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.