Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Pacific Northwest and moving our Savages.... (Read 21 times)
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Pacific Northwest and moving our Savages....
Reply #60 - 01/01/05 at 07:29:54

Okay....I just made a motel reservation.  They predict bad weather in northern CA, so to be safe, I selected Grant's Pass for tonight.

They have high speed internet access...so Paladin, I'll try to be better tonight  8)

See "y'all" later (can I say that out here?)

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #61 - 01/01/05 at 09:58:49

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I stand reprimanded.  There is no excuse.  

.... I don't have a laptop.  I have been lugging my desktop in and out of each motel room and stretching out a phone cable to find a dial-up connection....

I don't know.  That sounds like a good excuse to not even get on-line.  At least tell me you have a flat panel display and have not been carrying a tube in and out of motel rooms.

I don't know about the others, but the thought of picking up everything and moving cross country kind of scares me.  My house was in escrow when it was shaken by the Sylmar 'quake.

At least you have your bikes with you.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #62 - 01/01/05 at 19:45:19

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I don't know.  That sounds like a good excuse to not even get on-line.  At least tell me you have a flat panel display and have not been carrying a tube in and out of motel rooms.

I don't know about the others, but the thought of picking up everything and moving cross country kind of scares me.  My house was in escrow when it was shaken by the Sylmar 'quake.

At least you have your bikes with you.

Nope....I'm lugging a 17" CRT.  No flat panel  Shocked

The good news is that it's about over.  We came over Mt. Shasta and down from the Siskiyou Pass (I think) in a full snow storm at 5000 feet with mandatory tire chain rules, and got into Grant's Pass Oregon at 6:30 tonight.  Took 10 hours to go 300 miles.

After 3200 miles, we are in Oregon for New Years Day!  I just might order a pizza and get drunk.

More later, guys.

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #63 - 01/01/05 at 19:59:58

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
BTW - with the problem with my Earthlink site, I lost my logo too.  I selected a temporary one until we get to Portland.

Happy New Year!

MY GOD, MAN!!!  THAT"S THE BEST YOU CAN DO?

Shocked

Have a happy New Year, Greg.  I wish I was living in the PacNW.  I'm in love with SW Oregon.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #64 - 01/01/05 at 21:56:42

Gitarzan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
MY GOD, MAN!!!  THAT"S THE BEST YOU CAN DO?

Shocked

Have a happy New Year, Greg.  I wish I was living in the PacNW.  I'm in love with SW Oregon.

Well, the pizza is done and I'm working on the other part  Grin

Anyway, here is the latest that I've been able to upload (I've taken an average of 100 photos per day since this started)....my site is still a mess, but tonight I'm back to dialup at the blazing speed of 26.4 Kbps  Undecided

As we entered Oregon and the mandatory chain rules were in place (watch the Weater Channel)....here we are with all the truckers after installing our chains and ready to leave California and go into Oregon.

Then after this we reached the check point at the grade going into Oregon on I-5 I found our final state sign at about 5000 feet.

Tomorrow, I'll post more pics.  Oregon (and northern CA) are really awesome.  I can't wait to ride this side of the country.

BTW - I gotta say thanks to you and everyone else in SuzukiSavage for being such good friends.  Thank you all.

Now, I'm gonna go get another beer, and think about all this some more  Wink

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #65 - 01/01/05 at 23:25:58

Greg, glad you made it over the last big hill. A couple more easy ones and you're in Portland. My wife went to school in Ashland and I went across the mts in Klamath Falls. Cahined up more than once to get her back to the SOC Dorms and then I headed back across the mts still klanking away. Been up that nig one I-5 a couple times on Coors Beer runs. Oregon didn't sell Coors kegs at the time so I'd run to the border for some of the keggers. What a life, if the Dowco cover is warranted like the Motorhome ones, they should replace it. My brother had one destruct on a class C sorted here and time will tell if the one on the class A version he chauffers now will hold up. Snowing here also, kinda like winter.

Good luck job hunting in the forthcoming weeks. Max in Moses Lake.  Cheesy

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #66 - 01/02/05 at 06:31:01

Max_Morley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Greg, glad you made it over the last big hill. A couple more easy ones and you're in Portland. My wife went to school in Ashland and I went across the mts in Klamath Falls. Cahined up more than once to get her back to the SOC Dorms and then I headed back across the mts still klanking away. Been up that nig one I-5 a couple times on Coors Beer runs. Oregon didn't sell Coors kegs at the time so I'd run to the border for some of the keggers. What a life, if the Dowco cover is warranted like the Motorhome ones, they should replace it. My brother had one destruct on a class C sorted here and time will tell if the one on the class A version he chauffers now will hold up. Snowing here also, kinda like winter.

Good luck job hunting in the forthcoming weeks. Max in Moses Lake.  Cheesy

Ah, so you're familiar with this area then...during your learning years  Shocked

It was interesting.  We went through this in the Mt. Shasta area....without chains.

To get to this before Yreka, CA.  What a view!

And then you've seen this too....

And this....

And you really know this one....

Which all this was just fun and games, until I saw the sign that said "6% grade, Next 7 Miles".  That's when I knew that I wasn't in "Kansas anymore".  That worked out to be about a 1/2 mile elevation change.  And I gotta tell ya, that trailer was pushing my truck hard.  I had no idea how high the uphill climb was going to be, or how much snow was at the summit.  I could not take pictures or go faster than 15 mph on the downhill grade.  It was intense...along with all the traffic....vehicles were getting stuck everywhere, but I'm proud to say that the couple from North Carolina made it.

Today is the final leg of 3400 miles.

Later, Savages!

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #67 - 01/02/05 at 06:54:08

Way cool Greg

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Ed L.

Reply #68 - 01/02/05 at 08:11:54

It's been an EPIC story so far, hope it's all downhill for your last day Grin. Sorry man, I had to say that after the post about the 6% downhill grade.  Wink
Ed L.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #69 - 01/02/05 at 20:09:12

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
It's been an EPIC story so far, hope it's all downhill for your last day Grin. Sorry man, I had to say that after the post about the 6% downhill grade.  Wink
Ed L.

No problem, Ed.  How about this?  It started out slippery, today.  But beautiful.

And then the altitude got lower....

And then we arrived in Portland....but this little landmark was in my horizon for 50 miles before I got here....(I took this from an overlook on I-205)

Yep.  The epic is close to being over.  Just small details like getting permenant housing and jobs.  But the 3420 mile drive is over, and the Savages are in the Pacific Northwest.

It feels strange and nice at the same time.  Tomorrow the bikes will come off the trailer  8)

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #70 - 01/02/05 at 23:35:41

greg,

let me officially welcome you to the pacific northwest, and the "left" coast.  

there will be some things for you to get used to. like killer sunsets over the ocean.

the many different types of "rain".
some of the bluest skies you have ever seen, and some of the greyist.  

The Cascade Mountain range. You have seen Mt Hood.
wait till you get to see St Helens and Rainer.  The olympic rain forrest.  oh sooooo much stuff.

i've been floating the idea of a savage meet on june12th at the top of chinook pass  2pm.  just everbody ride on in say hi. it would be a day trip for alot of N.W. riders.  

enjoy.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #71 - 01/03/05 at 02:15:32

Hey Greg

You have made it, how long 'till You go for a ride?
What is the weather like in Your new location?not as way cool as You have experienced on Your journey.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Red Wine

Reply #72 - 01/03/05 at 04:46:16

Greg,  I'm very glad you and your wife have safely droven across the US!!! Your journey is very interesting for a foreigner as me, and I'm sure we will all enjoy your pictures and stories (what about writing a book or something? I could buy it, translate it for a small fee or a share in the profits  Grin and show it to the local riding community).
I can only wish you good luck, both in the job hunting and in your new lives in the West, I was in Montana about 10 years ago, and I know the scenarios are just awesome. You'll be a happy man to ride on those roads, the only problem I recall when I was touring the West is that you can't drive for long without stopping for a look at the vista  Wink... and I like to RIDE!!!!  Grin
Good luck again, and keep us posted, will ya?
Red Wine

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #73 - 01/03/05 at 06:17:16

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
greg,

let me officially welcome you to the pacific northwest, and the "left" coast.  

there will be some things for you to get used to. like killer sunsets over the ocean.

the many different types of "rain".
some of the bluest skies you have ever seen, and some of the greyist.  

The Cascade Mountain range. You have seen Mt Hood.
wait till you get to see St Helens and Rainer.  The olympic rain forrest.  oh sooooo much stuff.

i've been floating the idea of a savage meet on june12th at the top of chinook pass  2pm.  just everbody ride on in say hi. it would be a day trip for alot of N.W. riders.  

enjoy.

You are right about the blue skies.  I guess without the effects of pollution (since it comes from the Pacific) the skies are really clear.  Even when there were clouds, the parts of blue that appeared were bright.

After we got out of the Siskiyou area we found a misty type rain and a really cold rain....almost a freezing rain.  But almost all views have been breath taking.

I'll keep June 12th in mind.  We should have some sort of organization in our lives by then  Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #74 - 01/03/05 at 06:23:51

klx650sm2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Hey Greg

You have made it, how long 'till You go for a ride?
What is the weather like in Your new location?not as way cool as You have experienced on Your journey.

Clive W  Cheesy

Yep, we're here and trying to unwind.  I will get our bikes off the trailer today and put them into storage for a while.  With all the mechanical "adjustments" that I had to make to them in order to fit them on a 5 feet wide trailer, it will take a day to get them going again.  But first, we have to find a permenant place to live....

It was pretty cold last night, but mostly just the wind.  Not at all like in CA and AR.  The skies were clear too.  The air "smells" moist and clean.

Today a new adventure begins  Shocked

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 18:36:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Pacific Northwest and moving our Savages....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.