Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Pacific Northwest and moving our Savages.... (Read 21 times)
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Re: Pacific Northwest and moving our Savages....
Reply #45 - 12/27/04 at 21:48:08

Ditto I haven't been to LA in about 7 years but it is to be avoided unless you were planning to drive through late at night. We commuted from Palm Springs to Pomona and the traffic was relentless. Perhaps some left coasters can offer traffic avoidance routes. You can easily be hung up for hours there. There are severe storm reports in L.A. now.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #46 - 12/28/04 at 06:37:20

Once you're in Northern CA, I'd drive along the coast.  It's too beautiful to miss any chance of seeing it..

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #47 - 12/28/04 at 14:36:49

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
IMHO, Los Angeles is to be avoided if at all reasonably possible.  You can ask Sluggo about the courtesy of Los Angeles Freeway Drivers.

jumbo shrimp
military intelligence
la freeway courtesy

all terms used out of place.

if you have to go through la here's some tips.
1.drive percisely 5 miles under the posted limit in fast lane,provided traffic is moving. if at stand still continually tap vehicle in front of you. and lay on horn frequently.
2.get really really plastered  and weave all over the place.
3.dont use signals just wildly have passenger wave hand out window on side you want to move to
4.constantly hollar out window to passing vehicles your from out of town and need the directions to disney land.
5.leave ample time to reload between flipping people off.

seriously,  yeah right.
time the drive though for about 8-9 pm and all should go well. this way you clear the basin traffic and can head up the 5 a few miles for a stop for the nite. i would think saugus would be a nice spot. spend the nite then the next day at magic mountain. the hit the road again.

if it's going to be a daytime drive through 11am to 1 pm is best. stop for gas at outskirts so you wont have to stop in traffic. pick a lane and stay in it, dont be tempted to move back and forth. if you must merge do so with authority, the la drivers are affraid to scratch thier cars so they will let you in. watch far enough ahead for big rigs, if you see one changing lanes to the left do so also it means theres trouble in the laneahead.
there are generally sign for exits up to 3 miles before exit to allow plenty of time.

now if you are transversing the area in the early morning hours. ALL BETS ARE OFF. just tune in the mark and brian show on klos. 95.5 fm I was a cast member before i moved to washington.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Ed L.

Reply #48 - 12/28/04 at 15:18:29

wow, that,s some move all the way across the US. I thought that my move to Forida come summer was a biggie. Now if I can only talk my ol ball-n-chain to let me ride my Savage down. Humm it's only a thousand miles, if I start talking about now maybe she will fold by summer. Hope your trip goes well, if you get sleepy pull over and take a nap, I've busted up a couple of cars by falling asleep at the wheel. It's no fun waking up in a ditch.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #49 - 12/28/04 at 20:42:20

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
now if you are transversing the area in the early morning hours. ALL BETS ARE OFF. just tune in the mark and brian show on klos. 95.5 fm I was a cast member before i moved to washington.....
Wendy was on the freeway this morning.  She got a bit bored so she got out her digital camera and took a VIDEO of her high-speed commute.  (warning, it's a 9-meg file, about 30 minutes at dial-up speeds in Nowhere, OK.)

WWW   IP Logged
Red Wine

Reply #50 - 12/30/04 at 05:08:35

I just don't want this thread to get too way down the list, since I want to know how Greg650 gets to Portland from PA.
Keep us posted, will ya Greg???!!!
Drive Safe.
RW

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #51 - 12/30/04 at 06:27:06

(Greg650 left his old home in Arden, North Carolina.)

I'm also interested in the trip.  From the map posted on the 26th Greg650 should have made it across Texas yesterday and spent the night somewhere around Albuquerque.  He should be headed toward Flagstaff today and getting into some *cold* weather.

We haven't heard from Greg since the 26th and there is no excuse for that.

WWW   IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #52 - 12/31/04 at 03:38:52

Also from The Netherlands I'm following Greg's trip.
Check-out his website , he's in Flagstaff already on day 6

http://home.earthlink.net/~gmdinusa/

Greetz and a Happy New Year to ALL Smiley

Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #53 - 12/31/04 at 14:53:00

Thanks for posting the link Kropatchek!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #54 - 01/01/05 at 06:41:04

HI, Guys and Gals....Happy New Year from the "Left Coast".

For some reason, as the "Ball Dropped" on the east coast, last night, my web site went to crap.  A bunch of pictures disappeared (even though they were still there).  Maybe it is the effect of the west coast on my east coast computer.  Maybe it is just coincidence.

Hey, I just realized that my computer clock hasn't been reset.  Maybe that's it  Roll Eyes

Anyway, I wanted everyone to know that I miss my usual chatting, and should be back to normal  ??? soon.  We should get into Oregon today.

In our bike related news...the winds in Arizona shredded Julie's bike cover....first a bungee broke and then the wind went to work on the Dowco cover.  Of course, she's wondering why that happened to just her bike.  I don't know, except that her bike is on the "left" side of the trailer  Tongue

Anyway, I wanted everyone to see what I caught with the truck yesterday....this was weird, and I had no idea how it looked until I stopped 30 miles later.  I bet a lot of people were pointing as we traveled along.

This is what it looked like from my seat....

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #55 - 01/01/05 at 06:43:14

At 2880 miles, I find that CA is really interesting.

Anyone use Windows XP?  Now, I know where Microsoft got that wallpaper....

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #56 - 01/01/05 at 06:52:03

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
(Greg650 left his old home in Arden, North Carolina.)

I'm also interested in the trip.  From the map posted on the 26th Greg650 should have made it across Texas yesterday and spent the night somewhere around Albuquerque.  He should be headed toward Flagstaff today and getting into some *cold* weather.

We haven't heard from Greg since the 26th and there is no excuse for that.

I stand reprimanded.  There is no excuse.  

To be honest, I have missed you guys...all of you.  Just been so busy....just think, too, that I don't have a laptop.  I have been lugging my desktop in and out of each motel room and stretching out a phone cable to find a dial-up connection to Earthlink.  Luckily I could find a local connection almost everywhere....except in Mojave, CA on Jan 30th.

Oh yeah, about Flagstaff...did you say cold?   Shocked

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #57 - 01/01/05 at 06:56:24

Red Wine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
I just don't want this thread to get too way down the list, since I want to know how Greg650 gets to Portland from PA.
Keep us posted, will ya Greg???!!!
Drive Safe.
RW

Yes, sir.  I will.

We'll cross into Oregon today.  Don't know how far we'll get because there's some good weather up there, but we'll see.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #58 - 01/01/05 at 07:07:25

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
jumbo shrimp
military intelligence
la freeway courtesy

all terms used out of place.

if you have to go through la here's some tips.
1.drive percisely 5 miles under the posted limit in fast lane,provided traffic is moving. if at stand still continually tap vehicle in front of you. and lay on horn frequently.
2.get really really plastered  and weave all over the place.
3.dont use signals just wildly have passenger wave hand out window on side you want to move to
4.constantly hollar out window to passing vehicles your from out of town and need the directions to disney land.
5.leave ample time to reload between flipping people off.

seriously,  yeah right.
time the drive though for about 8-9 pm and all should go well. this way you clear the basin traffic and can head up the 5 a few miles for a stop for the nite. i would think saugus would be a nice spot. spend the nite then the next day at magic mountain. the hit the road again.

if it's going to be a daytime drive through 11am to 1 pm is best. stop for gas at outskirts so you wont have to stop in traffic. pick a lane and stay in it, dont be tempted to move back and forth. if you must merge do so with authority, the la drivers are affraid to scratch thier cars so they will let you in. watch far enough ahead for big rigs, if you see one changing lanes to the left do so also it means theres trouble in the laneahead.
there are generally sign for exits up to 3 miles before exit to allow plenty of time.

now if you are transversing the area in the early morning hours. ALL BETS ARE OFF. just tune in the mark and brian show on klos. 95.5 fm I was a cast member before i moved to washington.

Thanks for the hints  Grin

Actually staying in one lane has been pretty easy to do.  The truck is hauling and pulling over 3000 lbs total, and though it is being very reliable, it is still at about it's limits.

I dodged LA and went through Bakersfield and the valley.  It hasn't taken too long to get adjusted to some of the drivers in the area....I'll "reload" before we leave this morning  8)

I'll be real close to your country today.  Oregon today!

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #59 - 01/01/05 at 07:09:05

BTW - with the problem with my Earthlink site, I lost my logo too.  I selected a temporary one until we get to Portland.

Happy New Year!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 13:31:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Pacific Northwest and moving our Savages....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.