Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
Pacific Northwest and moving our Savages.... (Read 21 times)
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Re: Pacific Northwest and moving our Savages....
Reply #90 - 01/10/05 at 18:17:15

My uncle's up that way, actually down at Roseburg.  He said the sense of time is different up there.

I'll be there at...

...9:00, means in the morning,

...in the morning means that day.

...Tomorrow means this week...  etc.

It drove him nuts.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #91 - 01/15/05 at 07:50:33

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
greg, glad you like the nw  it's a neverending circle to get things done.

now the drivers, my experience has shown that every locale has their own set of bad habits.

here in moses lake  it's
a. running yellow lights
b. failure to yeild to the right in residential sections
and the worst of all
c.  waiting untill the last possible moment to signal a right hand turn into a parking lot or driveway.

after you get to know the "rules" it's easier.  
now the I 5 through downtown portland can get pretty ugly.  

I would say that signaling does seem to be one thing they don't do very much.  Of course, if you're driving through the maze of downtown with it's mix of mass transit and one way streets, you will normally have your signal flasher clicking away 1/2 the time anyway....I never realized how "loud" mine can be.

Julie has a fantastic new job now (I'm still looking) working in downtown, and since we still haven't gotten organized, I was there to pick her up after her first day, last night.  Whoa, don't get caught in the outbound rush hour flow in the wrong lane.  It took me 1/2 hour to get back into the city to pick her up on 5th avenue.  I went from being early to being late and it only took one wrong turn.
Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #92 - 01/15/05 at 08:04:02

Gitarzan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
My uncle's up that way, actually down at Roseburg.  He said the sense of time is different up there.

I'll be there at...

...9:00, means in the morning,

...in the morning means that day.

...Tomorrow means this week...  etc.

It drove him nuts.

I almost feel like I can understand  Cheesy  I think that my internal clock is still synched to EST.  I want to go to bed at 8 and get up at 3.  Still some adjusting to do, I guess.

Thank goodness for the weekend, and here Julie has Martin Luther King Day off as a holiday (work one day, and get a holiday.  Can't beat that) which is different.  That was only a bank holiday in NC.

Funny too.  Today is supposed to be a winter storm warning.  The temp has been around 30, and I'll be darned if the folks aren't running around buying all the bread and milk just like in NC.  I know the weather is more severe as you go east from here, but I'll be darned if Portland doesn't seem like Asheville at times.  I just chuckle when I hear one of the news people report that it's going to be "cold".   Owwww   Shocked

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #93 - 01/16/05 at 13:59:32

Greg, see you are experiencing Portland's version of winter, freezing rain and  interstate skating rinks.  Paper said the bridges over the rivers were blocked with stuck vehicles for hours and tire chains were required in town even. Hope yours are still easy to find, not buried in the storage unit. Good luck job hunting this week, Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #94 - 01/20/05 at 16:15:36

Max_Morley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Greg, see you are experiencing Portland's version of winter, freezing rain and  interstate skating rinks.  Paper said the bridges over the rivers were blocked with stuck vehicles for hours and tire chains were required in town even. Hope yours are still easy to find, not buried in the storage unit. Good luck job hunting this week, Max

Yep, we had a bit of a mess last Saturday.  Never quite seen  an ice storm as intense as that one was.  The parking lot here had at least 1/2 thick glaze of ice.  and there were 35 MPH winds coming down the gorge too.   When it was time to walk the dog, the wind jerked the door open, the dog jumped out and fell, and with me hanging onto both I went down also.  Hello.  Something else.  I had a heck of a time getting into my car and the trunk to install the chains.  Literally had to break into it.  The rear window defroster was totally useless and blew a fuse trying too  Tongue

The next day, in true tourist fashion, we ventured out with chains and went east along the gorge.  Really interesting ice everywhere...and cars too.

Funny too, the temps were up to 63 on Tuesday, and all the ice was gone.

Well, this thread is about dead...I got hired today.  I start to work on Monday.  So that makes us both employed in Oregon, and soon all the details of residency will fall into place...yep, have to get new custom tags for the bikes, too.

In closing....I'll be looking forward to seeing you and Sluggo in June at Mt. St. Helens.  Should be fun....

Oh yeah, I know this is Mt. Hood, but I took it yesterday.  Where'd all the ice go?

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Reply #95 - 01/20/05 at 20:50:22

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:

Hey, are you and your dog standing on the water?  Shocked

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #96 - 01/21/05 at 11:46:35

Grin

Nope at the risk of getting much wetter, I'm just standing on the edge of the surf.  I wanted to touch the Pacific.

If I could walk on water the trip here certainly would have been simpler  Tongue

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #97 - 01/22/05 at 10:19:45

...Well, this thread is about dead...I got hired today.  I start to work on Monday.  So that makes us both employed in Oregon, and soon all the details of residency will fall into place...yep, have to get new custom tags for the bikes, too...

Congrats on the job! I'm amazed at how quickly you both found positions. You must be good!  Grin

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Reply #98 - 01/26/05 at 19:37:00

Well Greg,
are you riding yet? Com'on, don't leave us wondering if your thumpers are already thumping on the West Coast!!!!  Grin

If you are not riding, I wonder how you can survive to driving a cage in new and unknown traffic rules  Wink

take care 8)

RW

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #99 - 01/28/05 at 07:51:42

Ah, nope.  Our poor Savages are still in storage and not in the best condition either, since we had to disassemble some parts to fit them on the trailer for the ride here.  Those parts are in boxes.  As well, they need some serious cleaning.  Luckily they are dry and safe.

It's been a lot of cage driving here for 1 month.  Since we have jobs, we are now moving out of this "temporary apartment" (if you are familiar with the Extended StayAmerica chain of motels).  We have found another apartment with a garage and in the next month the bikes will end up there.  In fact we can now start moving everything one pickup load at a time to a new place.

Then?  Shoot....

Cleaning and repairs...
New drivers licenses...
New vehicle insurance...
New vehicle registrations...
New vehicle inspections...

Then riding, again, begins in the Pacific Northwest.... 8)

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #100 - 01/28/05 at 07:56:42

Oh yeah....I know that I haven't been too regular online lately, and it will probably get worse before it gets better.  I have dialup here in the motel, but in the apartment it will be a cable connection (Oh, yeah!).  However, that may take a week or so to get connected.  Since we use wireless phones, we won't have a land line either.  So, after we leave here there may be a lag in my communications here.

An unavoidable hassle, but "I'll Be Back"   Tongue

IP Logged
Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Reply #101 - 01/28/05 at 11:06:06

Greg, you're excused  Wink , don't worry...
I just wanted to touch base with your saga...  Grin

Take care,

RW

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Reply #102 - 01/28/05 at 16:45:29

Oh yeah....I know that I haven't been too regular online lately, and it will probably get worse before it gets better.  I have dialup here in the motel, but in the apartment it will be a cable connection (Oh, yeah!).  However, that may take a week or so to get connected.  Since we use wireless phones, we won't have a land line either.  So, after we leave here there may be a lag in my communications here.

An unavoidable hassle, but "I'll Be Back"   Tongue

I always thought the witness protection program would treat you better than that!!

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #103 - 01/28/05 at 19:39:31

Gitarzan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I always thought the witness protection program would treat you better than that!!

ROFLMAO!!  Grin Grin

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Reply #104 - 01/31/05 at 06:43:19

"I always thought the witness protection program would treat you better than that!! "

So that's why you left the East Coast so quickly!!  Grin
I always knew that friendly face had a turbulent past... maybe you helped convict some lawless, reckless HD rider and the HOG community is after you Grin...
Take care and ride safe (and low)  Wink

RW

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 15:45:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Pacific Northwest and moving our Savages....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.