Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Removed the white spacer, what else? (Read 70 times)
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Removed the white spacer, what else?
Reply #75 - 10/29/04 at 09:01:38

Firefighter wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I am a new rider, but it wasn't driver error. I think it just had to warm up a little more.  I haven't ran it yet today, but I am getting ready to. I'll see how it goes from there.

It is a "pop, pop, pop" and then when you shut the bike off, it gives one last "pop".

I had to ask....

So, the "pop" comes between shifts, and it sort of "pops" when you decel?  With a "pop" at shut off?  You aren't really too far off then.  Try the idle mixture again.

IP Logged
Firefighter
Ex Member

Reply #76 - 10/29/04 at 09:35:49

Just got back from a ride. It was backfiring quite a bit.

I adjusted the air/fuel mixture back to 1 turn out. It was at 2.

I'll go for a ride in a little bit and see..

IP Logged
Firefighter
Ex Member

Reply #77 - 10/29/04 at 09:36:27

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I had to ask....

So, the "pop" comes between shifts, and it sort of "pops" when you decel?  With a "pop" at shut off?  You aren't really too far off then.  Try the idle mixture again.

Yes, exactly !!!!  Wink

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #78 - 10/29/04 at 09:42:30

I have the DJ kit installed and the instructions said to set the clip in the 4th notch but made no mention of whether to include the original spacer or not, so I did a side-by-side comparison of the two needles.  That seemed like a rather large difference from the stock needle with the spacer, so I decided to try the DJ needle (set at the 4th notch, as indicated) with the spacer.  That appeared to be somewhere between stock-with-spacer and stock-without-spacer, so I figured I'd give it a shot.  Now that I've tried it, I am sure it's still too lean on throttle release.  Tomorrow I will remove the spacer and run it with the DJ needle set at the 4th notch.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Firefighter
Ex Member

Reply #79 - 10/29/04 at 09:45:25

It seemed too rich for me at the 4th slot with no spacer.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #80 - 10/29/04 at 10:01:25

Firefighter wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Yes, exactly !!!!  Wink

So it is a "pop" and not a "boom".  Let's call it a "pop" instead of a backfire then.  They are different lean conditions and sometimes can mean a leak.

Have you checked your muffler clamp and the header clamp at the cylinder?  Do you have any black stuff on the oil level sight glass?  That can mean a muffler clamp leak.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #81 - 10/29/04 at 10:07:08

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I have the DJ kit installed and the instructions said to set the clip in the 4th notch but made no mention of whether to include the original spacer or not, so I did a side-by-side comparison of the two needles.  That seemed like a rather large difference from the stock needle with the spacer, so I decided to try the DJ needle (set at the 4th notch, as indicated) with the spacer.  That appeared to be somewhere between stock-with-spacer and stock-without-spacer, so I figured I'd give it a shot.  Now that I've tried it, I am sure it's still too lean on throttle release.  Tomorrow I will remove the spacer and run it with the DJ needle set at the 4th notch.

Okay...Should we assume that the DJ kit comes with everything you need?  I suspect that if they include a needle that it is intended to be a replacement for the stock setup.  So, if they don't mention a spacer, then maybe it shouldn't be in there either.  Does Dynojet have a tech support site?  

I wonder if the needle taper is different too...like in the rate of taper, not diameter  ???

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #82 - 10/29/04 at 10:15:52

Yeah, I'm going to do another side-by-side and maybe even take a photo.  You can't assume the kit is complete.  I know for sure the spring was not included in it.  The instruction sheet was somewhat odd in the way it represented the parts.  There were basic drawings of each part in the middle, with lines pointing to the stock parts from the one side and more lines pointing to the DJ parts from the other side.  In some cases, lines from both sides pointed to the same part (such as the needle and main jet).  There were not separate depictions duplicated parts.  In the case of the needle, you know you only use one and choose the new one.  In the case of the spring, you know you need it and the only one available is the stock one because there was not one included in the kit.  In the case of the spacer, well.... it's kind of up for grabs.  That's why I did the side-by-side.  I don't recall a difference in taper but it's entirely possible.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Firefighter
Ex Member

Reply #83 - 10/29/04 at 10:48:57

I don't know anything about the kit, mine was installed by the dealer before I got the bike.

I just got back from another ride, still backfiring.

I don't think it's ever gonna go away  Wink

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #84 - 10/29/04 at 11:08:41

Quote:
I don't know anything about the kit, mine was installed by the dealer before I got the bike.

So the dealer did yours with the needle set at the 4th notch and with the white spacer installed too.  Is that correct?

Firefighter
Ex Member

Reply #85 - 10/29/04 at 11:23:37

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
So the dealer did yours with the needle set at the 4th notch and with the white spacer installed too.  Is that correct?

Yes, that is correct.

IP Logged
Firefighter
Ex Member

Reply #86 - 10/29/04 at 11:36:10

I just checked the clamps at the muffler and the header bolts.  The header bolts were loose, and the muffler clamps were just a tiny loose.

I'm off for a ride.  Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #87 - 10/29/04 at 12:26:54

That means I installed the kit the same as your dealer did.... now as to whether that's the correct way, I'm not yet convinced.  But I'll play with it until it's right.

Firefighter
Ex Member

Reply #88 - 10/29/04 at 13:12:38

Just got back...

It still pops on decel and shutting off.  I'm not too sure what else to do.

I figured out why it was dying on me the other day when I was putting it into 1st gear....
I still had the kickstand down, and I guess it won't let you into gear with it down  Embarrassed (correct?)  I had no idea.

Live and learn. Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #89 - 10/29/04 at 13:28:44

Yeah, that's one of the interlocks.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 06:13:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Removed the white spacer, what else?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.