Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Should I buy a new S40 and other ques (Read 10 times)
DAS100
Ex Member

Should I buy a new S40 and other ques
11/06/04 at 16:02:26

Anyone know the differences of a S40 sold in California as opposed to one sold in the other states.  The Suzuki Brochure claims the S40 sold in California weighs 3 lbs more.  Anyone know why?

Also, reading the posts, it seems that the older 650's had a tendency to backfire.  Is that true with the new S40's?;  and if so, how bad is it?

Rejetting may not be an option here, as bikes are inspected and tested to compy with the emission requirments on a yearly or bi-yearly basis.  I also suspect it may void the warranty.

One other thing I have run into here in Phoenix AZ, is that the dealerships  do not allow a test drive of the bike you are going to buy or even a similar used bike.  Seems like if you are going to be spending $4,000 or more, you should at least be allowed to test drive a similar bike.  

Would you suggest the extended warranty and/or  the extended service plan (free oil changes, etc) when purchasing the S40?.

This bike would be bought not as main transportation but to put around in town (when the weather is nice) and perhaps some areas of AZ and CA (mileage about 5,000 a year)  

I really like the feel of the bike sitting on it, as it doesn't feel like a lead weight, and I feel that I can control it.  I had an older Honda 750 (4 cly) with a high center of gravity and weighing in at 525lbs, it wasn't  alot of fun to ride, especially in the mountains.  I also had a 1968 Triump Bonniville that was pure joy to ride in the mountains, but had bad vibration and reliability. Are there any other bikes out there, that are similar to the S40, that are light weight, but still have some power, can cruise on the highway, and has the look and feel of a cruiser?  What other bikes did you consider besides the S40 or Savage?

Can the bike cruise at 75mph all day long?  Twice a year I'll be going to CA, so it would be nice if I could keep up with traffic. Otherwise I wouldn't  be doing much interstate traveling, and don't need the power or smooth ride that other larger bikes can offer.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me concerning whether I should purchase a new S40.  

David

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Should I buy a new S40 and other ques
Reply #1 - 11/07/04 at 03:21:16

Having not seen a CA model Savage or S40, I'm not sure but the 3 extra pounds have to do with extra emission stuff hung on the bike...one, I think, is an "evaporative cannister" for fuel vapors.

Take a look on page 2 at the "Is it big enough" topic.  Sarg asked a lot of the same things.

IP Logged
Sgt_Mike
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/07/04 at 08:23:11

Here's what MotorCycle USA says about the S40.

2005 Suzuki Boulevard: First Ride
7/1/2004
By Ken "Hawkeye" Glassman

Since I rode all the motorcycles, we'll start with the Boulevard S40 and move up the food chain from there. The S40 is a 650cc air-cooled single-cylinder 4-stroke. It is an updated version of the old Savage. I was surprised at how smooth the single cylinder engine ran, even when pressed hard. The power was more than ample to scoot away from stop lights and traffic, and it will cruise comfortably at 70 mph.

Once on the winding roads of Red Rock Canyon, the light, 352-lb (claimed) motorcycle was a pleasure to play with in the turns. The drag bars have a very short spread, so they don't provide too much leverage, but the bike turns in easily and has good cornering clearance to lay it over. The clutch and brake levers require a very light pull effort, and the 5-speed transmission shifts very easily. The single hydraulic front disc brake and single mechanical rear drum brake are adequate for a bike this size. The low 27.5-inch seat height and light weight makes this an excellent entry-level motorcycle. If one compares it to the Buell Blast, which has only a 30 cubic-inch single-cylinder engine that doesn't run nearly as smoothly, the S40 is a more versatile starter bike. And at a list price of $4,399, the S40 is several hundred dollars less expensive

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 11/07/04 at 09:05:26

I'll second on that smoothness -- they have come a long way in engine counterbalancing.   At 65 mph my early 80's GS450E twin had a much worse buzz in the grips than the Savage has.  I was on freeway last week (don't normally go there but I was in a hurry) and was doing an indicated 75+ with a bit more available.  From what others have written it you uncork the exhaust and open up the carburetor jets you get even more power.

As I said in another thread, I figure the backfiring to be an adorable quirk.   It happens occasionally on deceleration, not constant; and is not horridly loud.

I went for the Savage because I needed the light weight.  I started riding on a Honda 50, rented a BMW 500 in Izmir, on and off biking 'til '74 when I bought a Yamaha DT175 Enduro that I rode street and dirt for about 14 years.  While not quite as agile as the enduro, the Savage is very flickable on the streets.  At 18 inches from the tire sidewall to the opposite handlebar edge you can sneak along the curb past alll of the cars in the right turn only lane that are being blocked by the four-wheeler who is going straight.

Should you purchase an S40?  Depends.  The Savage will do what you ask.  Will the others manage to move their lumbering bulks through the city as quick and easy as something with the same dimensions and only 50 pounds heavier than the street 250's?

WWW   IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/07/04 at 16:07:00

I don't know how the CA S40s are set up, but I only had to turn out the idle mixture screw some to eliminate 95% of the backfiring.  This could be but back to stock for emissions testing or if it is a visual inspection, after drilling out the brass plug and adjusting the mixture screw, buy a new plug and cover it back up.   Since it is drilled out I doubt they check it's setting.

Mine was at a ridiculous setting of 1/16th out.  It is now 1.5 turns out.

My only complaint so far is for long trips I need a back rest....and can't seem to find one yet.  Around town, in the curvys the S40 is a hoot.  And it doesn't even know what a hill is, lots of 'thump' !!!

IP Logged
Sgt_Mike
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/07/04 at 16:14:23

Rk has good point. I'm sure that the dealer has plugs in stock. Drill out the original, adjust the mixture screw then tap in the new one. Then "look maw no more backfiring"

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/09/04 at 07:50:36

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Having not seen a CA model Savage or S40, I'm not sure but the 3 extra pounds have to do with extra emission stuff hung on the bike...one, I think, is an "evaporative cannister" for fuel vapors.

Take a look on page 2 at the "Is it big enough" topic.  Sarg asked a lot of the same things.

I think its almost all the Canister. It has a bracket it sits in and several hoses and bolts all holding this together. And if its full of activated charcoal then it all could easily make up 3 pounds.

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #7 - 11/09/04 at 14:13:50

The backfire is almost cute.  Riding up and down the hills, shift gears, then POW!  

It's almost like a cartoon, when the rider ought kick his/her legs out for a second and fly off the seat.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 11/10/04 at 14:16:42

Gitarzan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
The backfire is almost cute.  Riding up and down the hills, shift gears, then POW!  

It's almost like a cartoon, when the rider ought kick his/her legs out for a second and fly off the seat.

Maybe you could reverse your little HD signature line to have the guy fire off a POW at the "orange and black" logo and shoot to the left.  That would be Savage. 8)

IP Logged
DAS100
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 11/15/04 at 18:59:09

Just to follow up.

I've decided on  purchasing the new S40. It was that or the Kawasakie 500 Vulcan. The Kaw was more powerful (40 hp), about 70 lbs heavier, water cooled, chain driven, and larger gas tank (about 4 gallons) and definately would be a better highway cruiser.  I would recommend the Kaw over  the S40 if much of your driving would be on the interstate.

But the S40, I think will be alot more fun to ride, and most of my riding will either be on out of the way highways or intown.  

I'll still drive my car, and the bike will only be ridden when I feel like riding it. Just some fun outings from time to time.  

Thanks everyone for all your feedback.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #10 - 11/15/04 at 20:40:12

Thanks for letting us know. We hope you enjoy your Savage/S40. Stop in and visit us from time to time.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #11 - 11/16/04 at 01:15:47

DAS100 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Just to follow up.

I'll still drive my car, and the bike will only be ridden when I feel like riding it. Just some fun outings from time to time.  

and you will feel like it daily.

another fish just took the hook... yippeeeee. Wink

welcome

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 07:30:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Should I buy a new S40 and other ques