Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Removed the white spacer, what else? (Read 70 times)
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Removed the white spacer, what else?
Reply #45 - 10/27/04 at 11:53:32

Why Keihin and not Mikuni?  Take up too much floor space  ???

IP Logged
Firefighter
Ex Member

Reply #46 - 10/27/04 at 11:55:16

Is that good or bad about the older jet being a 144 ? I already put in the 152.5.

I can't find a washer. I will check the o-ring with gas.

No luck at Walmart for a manual.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #47 - 10/27/04 at 12:04:23

Firefighter wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Is that good or bad about the older jet being a 144 ? I already put in the 152.5.

I can't find a washer. I will check the o-ring with gas.

No luck at Walmart for a manual.

No, no, no...I wanted to check with Rob because that 144 sounds like a Dynojet number, not Mikuni.  The jet you removed should have said 145.  Go ahead with the 152.5

IP Logged
Firefighter
Ex Member

Reply #48 - 10/27/04 at 12:32:08

WHEW !!  I'm so glad you said that!!   Grin  I didn't want to have to take it apart again.

OK, I am really sorry to keep asking, but with this spacer... I let it soak in fuel, and it seems to be fine.
Now, I am looking at the diagram of the carb from Ronayers.com , and when looking at the parts, I want to make sure I am putting this spacer back in the right place.
I took off top and the spring, when looking into the carb, I thought the old white spacer was sitting right on top of #3 ?? Am i remembering wrong?
Or does it go UNDER #3 and then #3 is screwed down on top of it?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #49 - 10/27/04 at 12:40:27

Ack!  Sorry, missed that.  Yes, the 144 is a Dynojet size.  My kit had everything from 138 to 146 in increments of 2.  I also noted that the head on the Dynojet main is smaller that that of the Mikuni 145 I took out.  The stock Mikuni 145 I removed looks like photos of the large round Mikuni mains.  I hope so because that's what I ordered.  The Dynojet main looks more like the photos I've seen of the Mikuni small round mains.

Quote:
Now, I am looking at the diagram of the carb from Ronayers.com , and when looking at the parts, I want to make sure I am putting this spacer back in the right place.
I took off top and the spring, when looking into the carb, I thought the old white spacer was sitting right on top of #3 ?? Am i remembering wrong?
Or does it go UNDER #3 and then #3 is screwed down on top of it?

It looks to me like part #6 is the white spacer.  They just call it a ring.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Firefighter
Ex Member

Reply #50 - 10/27/04 at 12:49:53

OH, and one last question, do I need to move the lock washer #7 on the diagram, up or down or just leave it where it is?

I am gonna run to another hardware store and see if I can find another washer instead of the rubber one.

Be right back !  Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #51 - 10/27/04 at 12:53:14

Firefighter wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
OH, and one last question, do I need to move the lock washer #7 on the diagram, up or down or just leave it where it is?

I am gonna run to another hardware store and see if I can find another washer instead of the rubber one.

Be right back !  Tongue

Does your jet needle have different slots in it?  Or is there just one?

IP Logged
Firefighter
Ex Member

Reply #52 - 10/27/04 at 13:24:03

It has 6 slots, and with the white spacer in, it is sitting in the middle, on the 3rd one down.

I can't find any single washers that will work. I think I will just use the rubber one.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #53 - 10/27/04 at 13:29:31

Ahhhh, he DOES have a DJ kit added then.  The slotted needle is not stock.  The DJ instructions say to put it in the 4th slot down.  I have mine in the 4th slot with the spacer still installed and it winds up being about the same as the stock needle with a spacer half the thickness of the original.  The DJ instructions did not say to include or discard it so I held them up side by side before deciding to go ahead and use the spacer WITH the DJ needle.  I have not decided whether to keep this arrangement or not.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Firefighter
Ex Member

Reply #54 - 10/27/04 at 13:34:40

Wait, ok I looked at the needle again, it is on the 4th slot !!  So I probably didn't need to take the original spacer out ???  Should I just put it back in, and see how it runs with the new main jet, and adjusting the idle mixture screw ?

Of course, I messed up my stock spacer, trying to make a 1/2 one out of it. I did order a new one yesterday, just in case I would need it... I guess I will.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #55 - 10/27/04 at 13:53:20

Hang on and see what Greg and anyone else thinks because I am just experimenting with mine.  I will say that the size of your spacer (or even its existence) is probably not much of a problem because you simply need to move the clip on your needle to accomplish the same adjustment.  That's really the only cool thing about the Dynojet kit - the adjustable needle.  The stock needle is not adjustable.  That's why folks play with spacer thickness or removal.

Firefighter
Ex Member

Reply #56 - 10/27/04 at 13:57:16

Are you saying by moving the clip up or down, that does the same thing as the spacer?

IF so, where would you suggest I start with at.  I know with it on the 4th one and no spacer, it seemed to be running really rich.  I pulled my air filter out today, and it smelled really really strong of gas.

IP Logged
Firefighter
Ex Member

Reply #57 - 10/27/04 at 14:16:05

This is so funny, I just got off the phone with 2 different bike shops.

One is the one who put the dynojet kit on my bike, and he said to leave the spacer in, and don't mess with the jet. Just adjust the air/fuel mixture.

The other shop, said since I have the dynojet kit, leave out the spacer and adjust the needle up o notch and see how it runs, and adjust the air/fuel.
??? ??? ???

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #58 - 10/27/04 at 14:30:30

They're going to be similar except that your spacer is smaller now, so you're probably better off with the second option of leaving it out and moving the clip up a notch.  You may even need to go up two notches.  I'd try one first and see if it's still too rich.

Firefighter
Ex Member

Reply #59 - 10/27/04 at 15:01:27

I left it out and moved it up one notch. I just ran it around the block, but I have to stop working on it for now.  I have to pick up the kids.

Hopefully it won't be raining tomorrow and I can run it for a little bit and see how it's running and adjust the air/fuel mixture too.

I really do appreciate all the help guys!!!!
I'm learning   Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:26:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Removed the white spacer, what else?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.