Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Removed the white spacer, what else? (Read 70 times)
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Re: Removed the white spacer, what else?
Reply #15 - 10/24/04 at 06:38:35

Instead of "hack job", we'd call it something else where I live -- I think we are talking the same language though.  I agree that to leave it this way would not be right, but I'm in the first stage of playing with it and I do appreciate your inputs.  

I looked up the dynojet kit with a yahoo search, and I like the needle with e-clip -- looks like the older dirt bike carbs.   Is there a cheaper source than the $65 on their website?  I can buy alot of jets and teflon washers for that kind of money.

Here it is Sunday and the shops are closed around here.  Iwas leaning (no pun intended) toward putting the white spacer back in to make the idle circuit work like it's supposed to again, and picking up a 150 and 155 jet to experiment with.  Since you speak highly of a half-thickness spacer, I'll make one up this afternoon and I will be halfway there.

I have had some other headaches with this bike, and maybe you can help me shortcut to the right solutions.    

My 98 still had 1999 expiration tags on it, with faded paint from sitting outside when my neighbor bought it (cheap).  It had 11,000 miles on it.  He does not enjoy wrenching as much as I do, so I was helping him get it running again.  He bought new rocker arms since the old ones looked like the bike had been run with gasoline in the oil.  He bought a bunch of new parts that we put on, and he had the seat redone in leather (looks nice), but he finally got tired of working on it and bought a new Harley.  So I picked up the Savage cheap.

Do you guys know where I can get another fuel petcock vacuum diaphragm without having to buy a whole petcock?  Mine is termorarily converted (you'd call it a hack job) to on/off only as the vac diphragm was leaking fuel into the carb and fililng up the crankcase with gasoline so I removed the vac line and plugged off the ports till I could get another vac diaphragm.  I also plugged the "reserve" hole so I would hav an "Off" position.  This works, but it's redneck/hack and does not match the printed "on"/"pri"/"res" markings.  I'd rather it be right again because I'm always forgetting to turn on the fuel and get down the street with backfiring till I get the fuel turned on again.  Any help you can give will be appreciated.

Thanks again.

-Michael

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #16 - 10/24/04 at 06:54:52

I'll be darned...Ron Ayers doesn't have a diaphragm listing for the pet_c_o_c_k or fuel_c_o_c_k  ???

It does have a listing for the whole assembly though.

Fuel C_o_c_k

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #17 - 10/24/04 at 07:01:07

Bike Bandit is the same way.   Angry

Arlington Texas
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #18 - 10/24/04 at 07:01:24

bobo383 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I looked up the dynojet kit with a yahoo search, and I like the needle with e-clip -- looks like the older dirt bike carbs.   Is there a cheaper source than the $65 on their website?  I can buy alot of jets and teflon washers for that kind of money.

Thanks again.

-Michael

Go to the Topic about Jardine and Mac mufflers....read my description of the Mikuni main jets.  Then after you replace the spacer, go get a handful of jets from from the dealer.  If you can turn a wrench and afford $4 per jet, you can tune it pretty well for pretty cheap, too.

IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 10/24/04 at 11:43:52

Once I go to a K&N and Supertrapp, do you think the Dynojet kit is unavoidable due to lack of tuning in the needle area with the stock needle?  Or is a 'half washer' going to run good enough if the idle mixture and mains are properly chosen?  I was thinking K&N and Supertrapp in the spring....... 8)

Also, on the main jets, are they the short ones with the flat blade in the top or the tall hex ones.  My local shop had both and wasn't sure which ones I needed without opening it up first.  

Anyways, glad you all are open minded and thick skinned...I'm starting to enjoy it here  Grin Grin Grin!

IP Logged
Firefighter
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 10/24/04 at 15:29:50

Ok, now I am confused again.  I have read over and over on the internet about removing the white spacer completely and adjusting the idle mixture and everything being fine.  

So am I supposed to put in a half spacer or what?  IF so, where do I get  half spacer?  I don't know what to do now.  I have a Supertrapp on it, and don't know about what jets.  This was done before I got the bike.

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #21 - 10/24/04 at 16:20:09

Are you happy with the way your bike runs now?  If not what's it doing that bothers you?

Arlington Texas
  IP Logged
Firefighter
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 10/24/04 at 18:16:18

The only problem I have is the backfiring. Other than that, it seems to be fine.

I have noticed a few times though, after riding for a little while and when I come to a stop, it has died on me.
And I know I had the clutch in. So I know it wasn't driver error.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #23 - 10/25/04 at 03:08:34

Firefighter wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
The only problem I have is the backfiring. Other than that, it seems to be fine.

I have noticed a few times though, after riding for a little while and when I come to a stop, it has died on me.
And I know I had the clutch in. So I know it wasn't driver error.

How many disks does your SuperTrapp have installed?

BTW - the main jet uses a flat blade screw driver.

IP Logged
Firefighter
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 10/25/04 at 07:23:09

I think it has 8.  

I don't know where the jets are even at.  I know where the fuel mixture screw it  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #25 - 10/25/04 at 07:36:44

I think it has 8.

Since you siad it backfired, I wondered.  Does it have an end cap on the disks too?

Quote:
I don't know where the jets are even at.  I know where the fuel mixture screw it  Cheesy

That there main jet be right cheer  Grin

IP Logged
Firefighter
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 10/25/04 at 10:15:19

Yes it does have an end cap I believe.  I am sorry I don't know for sure, but this is my first bike.  Embarrassed

But at the end of the exhaust there is a cover with some allen screws in it.

Should I just put the white spacer back in and just adjust the fuel mixture?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #27 - 10/25/04 at 11:12:39

Yes it does have an end cap I believe.  I am sorry I don't know for sure, but this is my first bike.  Embarrassed

Since it still backfires, make sure that the header bolts at the exhaust are tight and there is no exhaust leak there or at the muffler clamp on the Trapp.  Tighten them cold.

Hey, we're all newbies once.  I can't even begin to count my mistakes.

Quote:
But at the end of the exhaust there is a cover with some allen screws in it.

That's the end cap.  I just remembered another rider that bought a used Savage and said it was LOUD.  He didn't know there was supposed to be a cap on the end....he didn't have one either.

Quote:
Should I just put the white spacer back in and just adjust the fuel mixture?

Before you go to the trouble, go to a hardware store and rummage around.  Look in the plumbing section even.  Take the spacer with you and find a replacement about the same diameter but 1/2 the thickness.  You can find something for about 25 cents.  Then put that in.

IP Logged
Firefighter
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 10/25/04 at 17:37:15

ok, I'll look for a 1/2 spacer.

I got to take the bike out for a liitle bit today, it seems to be running rich, and is backfiring just as much as before.  ???

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #29 - 10/26/04 at 03:11:47

Yep.  While your out looking for a spacer, go by ANY bike shop and get 152 main jet for a BS40 Mikuni.  Even Harley uses Mikuni carbs (go figure, right?).

Then install the spacer, the jet, and adjust your idle mixture to the fastet, smoothest idle.  You should be a lot happier.

I can't wait to find out what size jet you currently have.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 09:33:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Removed the white spacer, what else?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.