Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Saddlebag recommendations? (Read 27 times)
Munson_kl279
Ex Member

Re: Saddlebag recommendations?
Reply #15 - 09/29/04 at 07:54:29

savagethumper wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I also have a HD fork bag, that I picked up for $25 at the HD dealership.  It holds all my tools, a flashlight, extra bulbs, and a few other little items.  I ran the leather strap around the base of the headlight, so it wouldn't ride down and scratch the fender.  

I have a similar bag that my father made (we do leather work on the side), and when I switch my headlight to a springer style I mounted the bag above the headlight.  I like the look of it better and it helps hide some of the wires.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #16 - 09/29/04 at 09:35:56

klx650sm2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Greg do You do Your own welding.

Clive W  Cheesy

I can, but I'm not very pretty at it sometimes (not enough practice).  The swingarm and frame welding was something that I let a shop do.  I did the setup and prep and let them do the rest.

The battery box brackets were the ones that I cut and rewelded myself  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #17 - 09/29/04 at 09:48:36

I can gas weld but like You not enough practice. Tony in the next village does gas and TIG.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
LittleRedster
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 09/29/04 at 16:34:34

Susan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Cheryl, Which size did you get and do you have a picture of it on your bike?  What a great idea for traveling!  Thanks.

I have the medium Biker's Friend.  However, I can't seem to figure out how to insert a photo.  If someone can give me some pointers, I'll get it posted.  Otherwise, I'll try to email you a photo directly.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #19 - 09/30/04 at 02:44:09

LittleRedster wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I have the medium Biker's Friend.  However, I can't seem to figure out how to insert a photo.  If someone can give me some pointers, I'll get it posted.  Otherwise, I'll try to email you a photo directly.

The images need to be on a web site like Yahoo Photo and then you insert the image location (http://.....) in between the 2 tags that you get with the image button above (4th from the left)...

For an example, click "quote" on someones post that includes a picture and you'll see how it works.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #20 - 10/01/04 at 07:46:25

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
The images need to be on a web site like Yahoo Photo and then you insert the image location (http://.....) in between the 2 tags that you get with the image button above (4th from the left)...

For an example, click "quote" on someones post that includes a picture and you'll see how it works.

Since how to do this has come up several times, I just created a topic that we can refer people back to: Posting Pics/Links.  I tried to make it as easy as possible by listing step-by-step.  My hope is that it will make it easier for everyone.  Grin

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
LittleRedster
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 10/01/04 at 10:35:33

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:

Yeah, I figured as much when I tried to "insert image".  I had the same problem when I wanted to find an image for my profile.  I'll have to find some time to register at a site and get the photos up there.  Thanks Greg.  And Susan, thanks for the instructions and stay tuned for the photo.

Cheryl

IP Logged
LittleRedster
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 10/02/04 at 06:08:45

LittleRedster wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I have a "Biker's Friend" which bungees onto the pillion.  It's formed out of molded plastic so it's rigid, and detaches easily.  It also serves as a backrest which is really nice on those longer trips.

http://www.bikersfriend.com/pages/description.htm

Here it is on my bike (although I can't figure out what's wrong with the image I'm trying to insert into this post   ??? - the link works fine):

or

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/littleredster/detail?.dir=fa44&.dnm=ccd4.jpg

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #23 - 10/02/04 at 10:58:40

LittleRedster wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Here it is on my bike (although I can't figure out what's wrong with the image I'm trying to insert into this post   ??? - the link works fine):

or

Thanks for sharing.  The biker's friend looks great on the Savage and it looks like it holds lots of stuff.  

I inserted the image below.  What I did was go to your link, right click on the pic, choose properties and then used the address I found there (click on quote on this post and you will see the address I used).  Thanks again for the pic!

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #24 - 10/02/04 at 11:47:09

As for product reviews, I do know that 4 1/2 years will wear out the straps on the leather bags.  I kept mine clean and treated too.  It all matters whether you figure that is a good life for the bags.  Mine were OEM bags that seemed well made and heavily loaded only a few times.

They are in semi retirement now, to be thrown over the seat when needed.  If a good fitting set of hard bags can be found, they might be worth the extra money.

IP Logged
bassman29
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 10/04/04 at 18:19:59

I just got a set of River Road Compact Slant bags (e-bay):

but I'm having a problem with the fit.  They seem just a little wide to fit the space between my taillights and the shock.  I also need to relocate the license plate.  

What is the stock plate mounting bracket like?  Anybody have a spare around?

Susan, do have a pic of your Willie & Max bags yet?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #26 - 10/05/04 at 02:46:21

Wow, that's a snow ball rolling down hill.  Here you have the rear fender nicely cleaned up and you've got to revert it back to stock.  Since you have the bags, can you move the turnsignals  more to the rear or something like that?

IP Logged
bassman29
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 10/05/04 at 05:02:12

Quote:
Here you have the rear fender nicely cleaned up and you've got to revert it back to stock.

I know.  It's like I have to choose between having a cool-looking bike, or having a practical commuter bike.  I almost wish the mod hadn't been done before I got the bike so I wouldn't have to make the choice.  I guess I could just mount the bags and obscure the plate - until I get caught.   Cheesy

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #28 - 10/05/04 at 11:07:55

bassman29 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Susan, do have a pic of your Willie & Max bags yet?

Yup, sorry for the delay.  Trying to squeeze in all the riding I can before the weather gets too cold...  Here they are:

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #29 - 10/06/04 at 14:24:32

I don't know about those but the set of Willie & Max bags I inherited with my bike are quite nice with one problem I've noticed... If yours are the synthetic leather like mine, be very careful with that inner flap and don't let it hit a hot exhaust.  It will leave smears of itself on your muffler.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 00:11:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Saddlebag recommendations?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.