Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Is it big enough? (Read 33 times)
Mike Hebert

Is it big enough?
10/26/04 at 06:53:37

Hi Folks;
First time on this forum. I haven't been on a bike for 30 years. I will retire in a few months and want to start riding again. I will ride mostly on country roads with an occasional 45 mile trip to visit my son. I need to know if this bike is big enough for me. I'm 6 foot tall, 205 lbs. The local dealer doesn't have one in stock and doesn't exactly when they will receive one. You input will be greatly appreciated. I need to know before I go out of town to shop for one. Thanks. Semper Fi.

Mike Hebert

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Is it big enough?
Reply #1 - 10/26/04 at 06:58:33

Welcome back to riding!

For the type of riding you describe, it's the perfect bike.  I am 5' 9" and 190 lbs and find it very comfortable but to be honest, I hear mixed reviews from folks taller than about 5' 10" or 5' 11".  Some like it and some don't.  I definitely think it's worth pursuing but you should also most definitely sit on one and decide for yourself.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #2 - 10/26/04 at 07:03:07

My husband is your height.  He can ride my Savage just fine although he has his own larger bike.  If you were planning lots of 2-up riding or long highway trips, it probably wouldn't be the best bike for you given your size, but the Savage is perfect for the uses you describe.  I would say it is worth a trip out of town to check it out but I wouldn't buy it sight unseen.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Diane
2004 No Login

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Houston, TX
Reply #3 - 10/26/04 at 07:26:41

My boyfriend rides an '02 Dyna Wide Glide.  He rode my Savage home from the dealership and thought it was great.  He is 6' 190 lbs. but mostly torso and short on legs.  I am 5'6" and all legs but so far have not felt cramped on the Savage.  I have seen that there is a forward control kit for the bike if you need a few more inches and have about $500 to spare.  For the price you just can't beat the Savage.  So go hunt one down and try it on for size!

Gas $3.39 a gallon, map $5.95, getting lost on a scenic country road.......... priceless!
2003 Teal Green Savage
Houston, TX
WWW   IP Logged
Old Geezer

Reply #4 - 10/26/04 at 07:31:25

The Savage would be a great bike for the rides you described.  It's design is super and takes to the highway as well as any bike.  You'll love it on the country roads.  That said, I have an 03 Savage for sale if you are any where near west Texas.  Has 2000 miles and is in perfect condition.  Have fun and good luck shopping.

IP Logged
tekxtc
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/26/04 at 08:50:06

Please don't hate me for saying what I am about to say.

I am 5-10, 145 lb. I love the bike I have. But ...

I would like to have something a little more powerfull. Eventually you will want more and may be savage will not deliver. It *is* big enough for what you say you want to do with it. But eventually if you want to take it on the highway over 65, it will not be comfortable. It will do 75 if you ask it to, but it will not be fun for either of you.

I am not sure if I am able to get my point accross.

I have a green 2000 with about 9700 miles on it. I intend to trade it for Shadow 1100 or vulcan 750 or if I have the money for this puppy

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/machine/models/model.jsp?model=r1150r

please dont hate me  Grin

IP Logged
Mike Hebert

Reply #6 - 10/26/04 at 09:18:58

Ok; here's the deal folks. I'm 62 years young and like I said I'll be retiring in a few months. I'm not interested in scorching blazing speed anymore, those days are gone. I need a machine that is able to cruise at interstate speeds at times, and do it with moderate comfort. I live in central/western Maryland, when I go see my son in Damascus, Md I will go over 2 mountains, 1500 feet in elevation, 5 degrees in inclanation. WILL THIS BIKE TAKE ME OVER THOSE MOUNTAINS AT 70 MPH WITHOUT HUFFIN' & PUFFIN' AND STILL HAVE SOME THROTTLE LEFT  IF I NEED IT?  The rest of my riding will be on country roads. Thanks. Semper Fi & be safe

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #7 - 10/26/04 at 09:45:36

The answer is yes with a big grin on your face!!! Smiley Smiley

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 10/26/04 at 10:51:08

Mike Hebert wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Ok; here's the deal folks. I'm 62 years young and like I said I'll be retiring in a few months. I'm not interested in scorching blazing speed anymore, those days are gone. I need a machine that is able to cruise at interstate speeds at times, and do it with moderate comfort. I live in central/western Maryland, when I go see my son in Damascus, Md I will go over 2 mountains, 1500 feet in elevation, 5 degrees in inclanation. WILL THIS BIKE TAKE ME OVER THOSE MOUNTAINS AT 70 MPH WITHOUT HUFFIN' & PUFFIN' AND STILL HAVE SOME THROTTLE LEFT  IF I NEED IT?  The rest of my riding will be on country roads. Thanks. Semper Fi & be safe

I weigh more than you but I am shorter.  I have no problem with the bike.

You started by asking about back country riding with occassional interstate (my impression).  That sounds kind of mixed now, with more emphasis (CAPS) on interstate cruising at 70.

I ride in the mountains all the time, but not at 70.  There is always plenty of throttle and I've pulled some 9% grades on mine.  But for what you want at 70, you'll be at 80% of the throttle range, and you may want to consider a larger bike...especially if you plan on taking anyone as a passenger or carry luggage.

BTW - Since you have been out of the saddle for a while and are real rusty, you should take the MSF course too.

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/26/04 at 11:03:35

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
 But for what you want at 70, you'll be at 80% of the throttle range, and you may want to consider a larger bike...especially if you plan on taking anyone as a passenger or carry luggage.

..or maybe just slow yourself down ya old fart!

(just kidding ya. Want to see you enjoy your retirement) Grin

IP Logged
Mike Hebert

Reply #10 - 10/26/04 at 11:06:25

Hi Greg;
Thanks for the comeback. Occasionally I'll cruise I-70 and I-81. The grade of the mountains that I've mentioned are not all that steep but they are 4 miles long and 70 is the going speed or one gets about run over. Those trips will not be often, alone or 2-up, but when I do go I want to make sure that the S40 will keep up, and than some. Semper Fi & be safe.

Mike Hebert

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 10/26/04 at 11:31:10

I have driven those roads, and 70 on most northern interstates is a challenge to your survival skills.

The Savage/40 will do 70 all day, but it isn't designed or built for it.  That is a positive statement for any single cylinder engine, but the bike is light and relatively short which shows  its better qualities when swishing through mountain curves.  On the interstate, trucks will buffet you around a bit.

I've done it, but maybe it's just me.  I hate interstates.  I also know the northern states are a bit more congested and getting from A to B dictates their use rather than all the stop and go traffic that you'd have to endure otherwise on 2 lanes.

I suggest that you sit on one first, but maybe consider the S50 for that "moderate comfort" if you'll be on the interstate alot.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #12 - 10/26/04 at 11:40:59

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I have driven those roads, and 70 on most northern interstates is a challenge to your survival skills.

The Savage/40 will do 70 all day, but it isn't designed or built for it.  That is a positive statement for any single cylinder engine, but the bike is light and relatively short which shows  its better qualities when swishing through mountain curves.  On the interstate, trucks will buffet you around a bit...

Agreed.  I've ridden the interstates in Pennsylvania.  The Savage can do it and I can keep up at 70-80 mph but frankly I'd rather not.  Its particularly tough on a windy day on a long, open bridge.  You just get blown about a lot.  I try to avoid the interstates if at all possible on the Savage.  Just not my idea of fun.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Mike Hebert

Reply #13 - 10/26/04 at 11:47:14

I dont like interstates either, even in my car. I don't plan to go 70 MPH often, just go the speed limit (65 MPH), but for some reason when those people hit South Mountain or Braddock Mountain they put the pedal to the metal then go back to the speed limit when they're out of them. But, from what I can tell the S40 will do what I need it to do. To all, thanks for your input. Semper Fi & be safe
                                                                  Mike Hebert

IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 10/28/04 at 17:34:39

I'd look into other roads to do that stretch.  Most of Rt. 40 west of Frederick is downright gorgeous and twisty with plenty of ups and downs.  At least find a better way to 81.  I'm assuming you mean 81S from 70, that road (81) is getting so full of stops and traffic the last few years that it should be no problem for you. Rt 70 I wouldn't do without a windshield, that's for sure !!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 06:11:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Is it big enough?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.