Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Spring Fever
Reply #345 - 03/24/24 at 18:15:20

I picked up a new motorcycle project today.  I really didn't need another project - but I got this from a neighbor and it is a bike that I believe I will like!  It was last licensed and ridden in 2015.

1972 BMW R75/5 with 60,000 miles.  I got saddlebags, the stock seat and a king/queen style seat - along with the Corbin single seat.  I also got a pair of original leather staddlebags that are in poor shape, along with a set of fiberglass saddlebags.

It needs a bath, the fuel tank and carbs cleaned, and the tires have plenty of tread but are 20 years old.  The original paint is pretty nice with only a few minor cosmetic flaws...the paint at the rear of the tank has been worn away by the seat rubbing on the tank.  The exhaust system has no rust - it does have a few small dents.

IMG_3216.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #346 - 03/24/24 at 19:25:55

Looks nice for a 50 year old bike !  Smiley

Wouldn't you love to have a new one like it !  ?    Smiley Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #347 - 03/25/24 at 05:34:34

MMRanch wrote on 03/24/24 at 19:25:55:
Wouldn't you love to have a new one like it !  ?    Smiley Smiley

The bike being 52 years old has an advantage for me.  I can get vintage license plates and they don't expire or have to be renewed each year....and the yearly vehicle tax is very low.  Hopefully the insurance cost is low as well.

It appears the weather here is finally warming up and we are likely done with the overnight freezing temperatures.  I will be able to wash it this week - but any other work will have to wait until after the Texas trip.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #348 - 03/25/24 at 07:10:39

I want a Green one !

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/bmw/bmw_r75-72.html

That is really close to the weight and HP of what I'm ridding now !   Simple , with Ample everything and good fuel millage , but not a lot of excess .    Smiley

A real Front fender !   Cool

1973-bmw-r75-5_3.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #349 - 03/25/24 at 07:11:45

Nice!  That should polish up like an old penny!  You NEED another project!

I'm bidding on this 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan tomorrow.  Auction bike with salvage title.  I checked it out in person last week and the damage is the front end, but not the forks or triple tree, justs headlight, turn signals, instrumentation cluster, windscreen, mounts, etc.

We'll see if I can get it for the right price.  I've been wanting to play with and experience one of these bikes.

IMG_3773_crop.jpeg
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #350 - 03/25/24 at 07:45:12

Hay Paul

Even if the forks are a little bent , RE parts a cheep even New from India !   Wink

E bay is full of RE parts !

Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #351 - 03/25/24 at 08:06:31

See what spring does !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #352 - 03/25/24 at 08:47:31

Hey MM.  I've already been shopping parts on ebay and found a few sellers that are cheaper than others for authentic RE stuff!

I've also been researching the weak points of these bikes.  The standard organic brake pads and weak master cylinder will be something I want to address (at least get some sintered pads up front).

And some company named TEC has a "stage 2" cam that claims a 20% HP gain without other mods or special ECU tuning required -- I find that a bit hard to believe, but they do share a dyno chart (is it legit??).

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #353 - 03/25/24 at 08:48:04

Ruttly wrote on 03/25/24 at 08:06:31:
See what spring does !

TRUE!!  It does something!!   Cool

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #354 - 03/25/24 at 09:27:29

I have enough project bikes ! Whoops  , I said it. Seems whenever I say that someone dumps another in my front yard , like some recycling center. I pick it apart like monkey picking bugs off another monkey. Dispose of the crap , box anything to be reused and file it in the warehouse. It Spring , Ride season. I can ride the tracker all summer , build in the evening. Friend of mine says I should build the Sportster , I know another tracker. It’s a real solid maybe. All other projects must be dead done before attempting a big project like that. Having never been inside a v-twin , it will take focus to get thru it and a chunk $$$ too !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #355 - 03/25/24 at 10:13:03

Ruttly wrote on 03/25/24 at 09:27:29:
I have enough project bikes ! Whoops  , I said it. Seems whenever I say that someone dumps another in my front yard , like some recycling center. I pick it apart like monkey picking bugs off another monkey. Dispose of the crap , box anything to be reused and file it in the warehouse. It Spring , Ride season. I can ride the tracker all summer , build in the evening. Friend of mine says I should build the Sportster , I know another tracker. It’s a real solid maybe. All other projects must be dead done before attempting a big project like that. Having never been inside a v-twin , it will take focus to get thru it and a chunk $$$ too !

LOL  Grin Shocked

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #356 - 03/25/24 at 17:27:26

Everyone has the fever now!  

Look what you did Ruttly!!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #357 - 03/25/24 at 21:38:55

Hay Paul , did you get the winning bid ?

I've got one of those +20% cams in my 350 Meteor.   It really show's up in the upper end of the RPM range .    So I'm running the DNA air filter set-up , then through the +20% cam , then out the free flowing de-cat muffler.   The only thing left to do is put a bigger piston in it ... and there is a 410cc kit available but ... it's fine just like it is !   Wink  
This bike may be the very essences of Zen ?   Its just so easy , so much like a modern Savage with a 4 gal fuel tank  Grin  !   Smiley

As millions have discovered, the motorcycle is far more than technological fluff.  Tooling down the highway on a bike is nearly pure emotion, an elemental, bare-knuckled adrenaline rush. Like few other machines, the motorcycle can make you feel totally alive. The feelings evoked by the motorcycle are so vivid and so powerful, in fact, that it’s become a colossal icon of pop culture, symbolizing values associated with rebellion, power, seduction, high fashion, and escape. Pirsig was right on when he chose it as the embodiment of romantic fantasy.

http://pages.erau.edu/~pratta/zenweb.htm

zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #358 - 03/26/24 at 07:56:15

It seems like you're on the right path. (Aren't we all) I also enjoy the savage where I don't have to worry about whether a sensor works or not.

While driving, my body is the sensor and I enjoy every sensation and the pure joy that driving gives. I am a bit jealous of the beautiful landscape and roads through it that you have at your disposal to get to your zen.

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #359 - 03/26/24 at 07:59:03

ohiomoto wrote on 03/25/24 at 17:27:26:
Everyone has the fever now!  

Look what you did Ruttly!!

Yup , but it’s a good kind of contagious.     Cool

The Topic Terminator