Send Topic Print
Spring Fever (Read 2635 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Spring Fever
Reply #330 - 03/01/24 at 07:28:45

We only got a bit of rain , but they got a crap load or two of snow. Some dumbas$ tv weatherman standing in snow beyond waist high. Blizzard like conditions , white out , lots of mountain passes impassable. What I call stay home conditions. If we don’t hear from Sneeze ,  I’ll dig him out in the spring , it’s only 3 weeks away. Couple more days of rain & Snowy blizzardy white out conditions , hang in there Sneeze !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #331 - 03/01/24 at 07:38:58

However I feel for our brothers in Texas wildfires. There is nothing you can do but get out of the way. You’re not going to win , get out ! See it here in CA every year.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #332 - 03/04/24 at 08:51:37

Scored a real nice front fender for the 250 project. From UK , not an oem fender but a Speedwell Mudguard painted black with the extra support rods. It got here so fast , I wasn’t expecting anything , it showed the day before and sat in the rain overnight. Box mangled , my stomach rolled over , even one corner of the box was gone. Cut it open and out comes a perfect fender. I had photographed the box for the sender. Couple of chips in the paint but otherwise it’s perfect with a rubber fender extender flap thingy. And it matches the fuel tank and the side covers. Looks so British. Trying to sneak in very subtle British bits to accent my build in a different way. The fender flap , maybe a heat sink for the exhaust at the cyl. head and some of those old style bar end turn signals , oh yeah. Keep it subtle don’t want to load it up with crap and make it obviously annoying. I have other builders watching this one , now is no time to half as$ anything.  Make no mistakes , stay focused , build it just like the vision in my head and no compromises ! A cold but dry day , good day to bomb the farmlands !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #333 - 03/04/24 at 10:23:18

Well today I get to play luthier. I have only one work bench , where I repair everything. Cover it in lush carpet for guitar repair. I have to finish 2 today. Then transform bench back for mock ups until I get wheels/tires. Gonna put frame/swingarm up on the bench. Add engine , intake & exhaust , tank  , seat , side covers. Plan on securing it to the bench to keep it stable. Primarily for mocking exhaust system . I have a new nos header , stock. And  441 muffler that needs surgery to meet my specs and mounting on frame to fab too. Also checking for clearances , mainly kick starter lever to clear the muffler. And other clearances as well , battery , horn , cdi and carb & air intake. I can wing the rest but exhaust has to be sorted out here and now. Cool

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #334 - 03/13/24 at 13:14:11

This is real nice , having frame up on workbench. Better than the table , at least till forks and wheels get put on. But for mocking up  it’s perfect. A lifetime of tools , welder & compressor right near bench. Only pressure I have is what I create as a goal , want to ride it by end of this year. Moving right along , in my element and as predicted, not real social part of the build. After it rolls I get much more social , maybe cause I can ride it down the driveway , IDK ! When it rolls , steers & stops I think that will be the half way done mark. Still haven’t settled on the tail light but up coming mock-up  will settle that conflict. Love both tail lights but only room for one on this fender , so unproductive having my last two brain cells arguing !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #335 - 03/13/24 at 16:25:42

Mine don’t argue so much, they just have difficulty coming to a consensus on things.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #336 - 03/14/24 at 21:41:52

I can’t even get them to find my keys !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #337 - 03/16/24 at 19:07:39

Tail light dilemma is over , my keys just appear , go figure. Wanted a Sparto style tail light , a cool reproduction but needs to be mounted higher on the fender than frame allows. It would leave lens angled down rather than straight back. Just won’t ever suit my build , so back to a small Lucas tail light , I have a new uk made Lucas lens. Somewhere I have an aluminum casting with light , old skool stuff , not to sure if it’s mie. So far almost everything is mie , trying to keep it close. My levers I think might be from India or China , that and maybe the bars. Just have to lay my hands on that tail light , buried bad in spider land !

« Last Edit: 03/16/24 at 20:09:10 by Ruttly »  

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #338 - 03/16/24 at 20:06:16

Keeping true to a 1971 I will be using the light grey for the frame. Stainless rear fender with small Lucas tail light. Stock seat , stock tank with black cross , black side covers. Stock headlight , black front fender. 18” hoops. Well that’s it in a nutshell , all the rest is the smaller detail items. No major changes now , just have to do one thing a day till it’s it’s done. Not a survivor , not a custom , not a restoration , just a Ruttly build. Put that new  tail light up in the warehouse with the rear sets,chains & filters , in stock!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #339 - 03/19/24 at 13:33:33

Finally got 2nd round of powder coating out , front & rear hubs and some smaller pieces. Hubs will go out for wheels when they come back. Frame & swingarm with all the attaching parts & dodads will soon follow. I would be a step ahead to have an assembled roller by June , leaving me six months for wiring and engine. Kinda jazzed up a bit , I’ll do a mock up tonight and start working on exhaust ! Was out yesterday for a short  clear the head ride. Tracker really likes that canned fuel , I added a quart to get to the gas station and top it off with 91. Runs like a pissed off hornet , still cool and damp in the am , she likes the combo.  Clean acceleration  no coughs , hiccups or farts , nothing but throttle , big fun makes me smile everytime out !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #340 - 03/19/24 at 19:15:23

Ruttly , we need pictures ! Please !!

Me for one would like to go visit 1971 , even if it is only in looking at pictures .  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #341 - 03/21/24 at 11:09:06

Well now for sure I got to tear down reseal the engine , I was right in buying  gasket & seal kits for it before I even got the bike. Had engine back out of frame and laying on its right side on the bench overnight and it left a pool of  new 90 wt.  I guess the seals are harder than a brides dream ! I’ll drain it so it doesn’t become a problem . Right now I need engine as a whole for mock ups. After it’s a roller then it will be resealed. It’s like a time capsule for me to go back recheck my work from over 40 yrs ago. Tear it down slowly and be super observant of every little detail. It will be fun , my first post retirement engine build , very cool. Give me the opportunity to polish outer cases and clean the rest. This will give me some road worthy confidence. Just turned into full build , actually glad I’m going there !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #342 - 03/21/24 at 20:24:55

Well Ruttly

Your braver than I am.  

I've gone to buying new bikes with 3 year grantees.
And hope I don't need to open either of them up for nothing but valve clearance checks.
Maybe I'm getting lazy but I did wash them both today !   Grin

I'll try to remember to get an updated picture next sunny day we have that co-insides with them being clean.   Here the last one I bought before any modifications or add-ons .

astral_blue_028.png

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #343 - 03/21/24 at 20:28:40

Now its a light blue version of this with turn key hard 25L saddle bags and a 30L trunk.
That 80L of storage is nice when I come out of the grocery store .  Wink

resized650Meteor_001.jpg

Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #344 - 03/24/24 at 10:31:34

Someday I will make it to the RE dealership. Several models I would like to look at , maybe swing a leg over. Not shopping , unless something jumps out or fits me so perfect I have to take it home. Really it would have to be
“The Bike” before I would even consider buying a cookie cutter made for the masses run of the mill motorcycle or have a happy button !!! Grin Grin Grin
Im not putting anyone down for what they ride , important part is simply just ride something , a lot. My Sportster and my SR500 kinda both fall into that category. The SR500 has always been the best bike for me , size & weight , handling , styling and most important the fit , the bike made me feel in control ! Note we are not talking power , although it has all you need.
But the tracker has somewhat taken its role. So I tend to build not buy , but that could change with the right bike in a second ! While space might be an issue , price most likely won’t drive me away from the right bike. I really want to ride that BSA Goldstar , it would be my last new bike , if it ever gets here !!!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 28
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 21:48:41

General CategoryThe Cafe › Spring Fever

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.