Bog choke and sputter when going to reserve
Had carb issues that turned out to be petcock
Had poor running issues that were petcock
Had jetting/mod tuning issues that were petcock
Me Raptor -- me not got any of the above now

« Last Modified by: Oldfeller--FSO on: 08/27/12 at 10:44:22 »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Stock Vac Petcock is a piece of shite (Read 1312 times)
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Re: Stock Vac Petcock is a piece of shite
Reply #75 - 09/04/12 at 10:34:07

I kind of understand how this works plunger. when I heard the fuel valve on my motorcycle and realized that "PRI" not working, I removed the spring plunger. i replacing it by a simple washer (not to reduce the fuel tube)

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
Joe F

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #76 - 09/20/12 at 18:49:05

It was a low speed drop after I realized I was going to fast to make a right turn. It didn't bang or ding the tank.  I remember standing over the bike, still attached by my airbag.   I'm thinking it was on the right side. Gas was leaking out onto the street and I thought "I guess vacuum petcocks are safer" It hasn't leaked any since so I'm guessing the gravity fed fuel ran out one of the vent tubes. I'm mostly a "gas and go" guy so that could be wrong.

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/26/12 at 20:34:14:

How did you manage to give a lick to the Raptor petcock since it is well recessed behind the curve of the tank?   Or did you hit it?

Or maybe you need to explain where the gas was coming from and all the rest of the circumstances (like which side was the bike laying on, etc).

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #77 - 09/20/12 at 21:13:32

Joe F,

You are correct, in any layover event on either side, gasoline will come out of the vent tubes.  It is part of their purpose, to allow a gas vapor pathway out of the carburetor and also a way for liquid gasoline to exit (no matter which side it goes down on) during a laydown event.

This makes Routy's point about the vac petcock being a safety device seem a bit weak since it isn't the petcock that does the leaking in a laydown, it is the vent tubes.   I guess he can say the vac petcock limits the gasoline to just enough leakage to set your pants and shirt on fire really really good, but not enought to completely incinerate you to charred dust .....  

(unless it gets your seat foam burning, then you can kiss the gas tank goodby)

But, let's be clear -- you are saying your Raptor had no play in your gas episode, it was the vent tubes doing their thing as the were designed to do.  

No "gas in sump episode", no "leaking float valve episode", no Raptor failure to speak of at all .....

Now, about this airbag that you were attached by .... care to elaborate on that one a little bit?   Curious minds want to know .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #78 - 09/20/12 at 21:54:09

The vac petcock is a safety device in the event the carb float sticks or the float needle valve sticks open. It has nothing to do with the bike tipping.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #79 - 09/20/12 at 22:05:44

Cavi Mike wrote on 09/20/12 at 21:54:09:
The vac petcock is a safety device in the event the carb float sticks or the float needle valve sticks open. It has nothing to do with the bike tipping.

This is true.

Now, we are still waiting for the first one of these carb float sticks or float needle valve sticks open to happen once a Raptor is in place (the Raptor is holding the fuel level STEADY right up at the shut off point like a good little petcock should do so the floats and valves are working correctly).

Point I am making here is that without the vac petcock starving the bowl until the float goes down to a hard stop position (and sticks there) there doesn't seem to be any float sticking or float needle valve sticking open going on with the Raptors.  

This may seem a little harsh, but since we are all looking we can look for these little scenarios too.   I will continue to point out that all the gas in sump episodes so far have happened (started) with a stock vac petcock, and nary a one has started with a Raptor.  

And it has been what, two years now?

We shall start counting sticking floats and sticking needle valves according to what petcock is mounted when it first starts too.

Understanding Charon's point that the population of vac petcocks is supposed to be greater in the wild than the population of Raptor petcocks, I will also point out that here on the list that ratio is now officially going the other way, with more (27) Raptors now and only (21) stock vac petcocks.

Wink     the shoe is on the other foot now ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #80 - 09/20/12 at 22:16:52

Vac petcocks exist because of sticky float valves + regular petcocks(like the Raptor). The Raptor is not special, it's just a valve. Just because it hasn't happened yet on this forum doesn't mean it won't. There are very few Raptor converts compared to stock users so it may be while before that one-in-a-million chance of a stuck float valve happens - but it will happen. A stuck float valve came before a vac petcock.

*edit* And I see your point about there being as many converts as there are stock users on this forum but you gotta remember that people don't go searching for solutions until they have a problem - and that's when they find out about this forum.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #81 - 09/20/12 at 23:05:46

Think you're totally wrong mike.
vac petcock exist for forgetful owners who can't remember to turn it off and tip overs.

sticky float valves and raptor petcock?  what's going to happen if the owner remembers to turn it off?  nothing.

WWW   IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #82 - 09/20/12 at 23:23:41

Verslagens post is interesting, I feel he makes a valid point about people forgetting to turn the petrol off. I am considering the Raptor once my S40 comes out of warranty. As an antique car person I am well used to turning petrol on and off. As a 63 year old I'm used to doing it with older motormowers and motorbikes. I feel there is probably a generation under forty five that has little experience of turning petrol on or off and indeed these people are used to automatic this that and the other. Suzuki obviously thought of these people. An interesting point about the stock device is that it appeares to have a built in fuel filter, which the Raptor doesn't appear to  have. This is my one reservation about installing it. I watched the very good video in the tech section to find this out. Countering that, it appears that there are those who say that a Raptor will cut down on on farts and pops by maintaining a constant float level which is why I'm still interested.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #83 - 09/20/12 at 23:29:32

J C Stokes wrote on 09/20/12 at 23:23:41:
An interesting point about the stock device is that it appeares to have a built in fuel filter, which the Raptor doesn't appear to  have. This is my one reservation about installing it.

Those white things on the ends of the pickup tubes are filters.
But they may require more frequent cleaning due to their smaller size.

WWW   IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #84 - 09/20/12 at 23:33:52

Thank you Verslagen

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #85 - 09/21/12 at 00:23:27

verslagen1 wrote on 09/20/12 at 23:05:46:
vac petcock exist for forgetful owners who can't remember to turn it off and tip overs.

sticky float valves and raptor petcock?  what's going to happen if the owner remembers to turn it off?  nothing.

Wrong about what? Who says everyone turns their fuel off? I never did because J C Stokes is right, the younger generation(like me) has never had to shut the fuel off for anything so I never thought about touching my petcock except to go into reserve. That was, of course, until I came outside from the store one day and found a puddle of gas under my bike.

Just because you shut the fuel off every time doesn't mean everyone does and it's not like you shut it off every time. I know you've forgotten before because it's inherent in humans to miss something sometimes. You're not perfect so don't even attempt to say you are - you forget things just like the rest of us.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #86 - 09/21/12 at 00:53:03

My 05 Yamaha 250 cc 4 wheeler has gas in the oil. Not a vac petcock.

I suspect a worn needle/seat., Ill see, IF I can figure out how to pull that carb..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #87 - 09/21/12 at 02:43:50

verslagen1 wrote on 09/20/12 at 23:05:46:

I completely agree... this fuel valve is suitable for the forgetful...

IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #88 - 09/21/12 at 02:55:29

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/21/12 at 00:53:03:
My 05 Yamaha 250 cc 4 wheeler has gas in the oil. Not a vac petcock.

I suspect a worn needle/seat., Ill see, IF I can figure out how to pull that carb..

I already wrote about this problem a few days ago... now I'm completely sure that the vac petcock not protects from leaking of the fuel and getting it into the engine.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #89 - 09/21/12 at 09:35:41

Cavi writes:

Wrong about what? Who says everyone turns their fuel off? I never did because J C Stokes is right, the younger generation(like me) has never had to shut the fuel off for anything so I never thought about touching my petcock except to go into reserve. That was, of course,
until I came outside from the store one day and found a puddle of gas under my bike.

Aha! In the midst of heated discourse a piece of factual data slipped out and got quickly covered by the spray of debate.

As everyone knows we are all still diligently looking for the first Raptor leaker event, so what I need to ask Cavi for is the particulars for this puddle event.  What bike, what petcock, what was the real problem, ect etc.   Really, take a moment and expand on what happened.

Cavi, you hang in there buddy -- it is important that we have somebody on the stock vac petcock side to keep the rest of us Raptor Nation folks honest.   Really, honest data driven debate is still needed -- so you keep up the good work.

We all now pause to recognize the passing of the stock vac petcock torch, from Verslagen to Routy to Charon to Cavi, each new generation of debaters taking up the good fight until each in turn was overwhelmed by numbers and data and facts to the contrary.

(a moment of respectful silence, please)

================================

Cavi responds to a PM asking for the details.   It wasn't a Savage at all.

It was an old KLR650 and it was actually my friends bike. I don't remember the year but had to be late 80's - early 90's with the big funky square headlight and a bright blue seat.

« Last Edit: 09/22/12 at 17:35:19 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 15:19:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stock Vac Petcock is a piece of shite

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.