Bog choke and sputter when going to reserve
Had carb issues that turned out to be petcock
Had poor running issues that were petcock
Had jetting/mod tuning issues that were petcock
Me Raptor -- me not got any of the above now

« Last Modified by: Oldfeller--FSO on: 08/27/12 at 10:44:22 »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Stock Vac Petcock is a piece of shite (Read 1312 times)
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Stock Vac Petcock is a piece of shite
Reply #30 - 08/25/12 at 11:52:35

It's nothing more than hyped up, scary, myth... until it happens to you...

I've purchased about 10 Savages, most bought for resale...
Several sellers had spent many hundreds of dollars at dealerships getting carb and engine work that wasn't needed, and didn't fix the bike, because of undiagnosed petcock failure...
My first Savage, the one I still ride now, was bought with a leaky petcock diaphragm.. it took me weeks to find it... (This was before the Raptor info existed, and before I was on this site)...

If you want to keep the stock petcock,... test it first, at the first sign of any running issue...  (Not saying that will be the problem, but just to rule it out)...
If you never want to deal with the problem,... get a Raptor...

A manual petcock fails in different way than a vacuum petcock... When the seals wear, a slow fuel weep starts from the petcock lever,.. that is the only way they ever fail, unless you break it off in a crash.. repair is 5 min. and $4...
The stocker will fool you into thinking a dozen different things, and will cause engine damage, and possible fire, while you try to figure it out..

This is not a safety feature, as many assume it to be (even most pro mechanics)..
It is a convenience feature to make a bike start-up more similar to a car...  

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #31 - 08/25/12 at 12:07:00

rfw2003 wrote on 08/25/12 at 11:19:37:
wambr wrote on 08/25/12 at 11:16:28:
bill67 wrote on 08/25/12 at 06:32:37:
Wambr do you have 100% gasoline in Russia.

I don't understand your question....
excuse me...

He's wondering if they are putting alcohol in your fuel, or if it's 100% petro

I can't say that in Russia's petrol-is it really gasoline, but it has no smell of VODKA Grin

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #32 - 08/25/12 at 12:12:34

Serowbot, there is only two other persons I'd ask (and one won't talk about it) who has fixed, rebuilt and altered as many vac petcocks as you have.

Now that the replacement cost is only $16 shipped -- IF YOU PLANNED TO MOD YOUR BIKE (open up the air intake and exhaust system) TO INCREASE YOUR HORSEPOWER 10-20% OVER THE BONE STOCK SAVAGE SETUP, would you pro actively (pre emptively) remove the stock vacuum petcock system in total and replace it with a Raptor?

If so, or if no, why?

Lancer, how about you?  Got any knowledge to share about them fast engines and how to feed them with enough gasoline at full power?

Wink

Lancer, if you could buy that $16 petcock in bulk for $4 a piece and get some rubber plugs for the vac port (or a good rubber washer equipped short self-tapping screw that would thread into the brass ID of the vac port cleanly) then you could supply in kit form what will be needed out into the future.  Kit could include a large pleated paper fuel filter, the tubing & clamps for it and an instruction sheet.

« Last Edit: 08/25/12 at 14:03:55 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #33 - 08/25/12 at 12:32:52

guys, I'm sorry but I can something I don't understand your post... what do you want to get away from the Savage? explain to me,
because he's going to start, can overtake probably any other bike of the same class. Yes it has not so much horsepower and it is not large in sizes, but it is a REAL IRON BIKE and he has a great sound of the exhaust! Savage I really like it!
Yes I understand your fashion appearance, the rest yet for me it is not quite clear...
P.S. please explain without slang

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #34 - 08/25/12 at 12:37:41

Wambr,

In America they put alcohol in the gasoline to save the environment and make all the politicians and corn farmers happy.   It is stupid, but we do it anyway.   We think the alcohol may hurt the petcock's rubber diaphragm over time.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #35 - 08/25/12 at 15:58:35

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/25/12 at 12:12:34:

Serowbot,  -- IF YOU PLANNED TO MOD YOUR BIKE (open up the air intake and exhaust system) TO INCREASE YOUR HORSEPOWER 10-20% OVER THE BONE STOCK SAVAGE SETUP, would you pro actively (pre emptively) remove the stock vacuum petcock system in total and replace it with a Raptor?

Any Savage I own, or any friends Savage I work on,.. I Raptorize...
Even the one's I resell,... I disassemble and inspect the petcock carefully... if it has the least thing wrong, I Raptor it...
Personally,.. I think vac pet's are unsafe... don't trust them...
If yer' gonna' ride a bike, learn to use a real petcock... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #36 - 08/25/12 at 18:45:29

From Serobot: "If yer' gonna' ride a bike, learn to use a real petcock..."

Doesn't do much for motorcycles and scooters with fuel pumps instead of gravity feed.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #37 - 08/25/12 at 18:55:40

wambr wrote on 08/25/12 at 12:32:52:
guys, I'm sorry but I can something I don't understand your post... what do you want to get away from the Savage? explain to me,
because he's going to start, can overtake probably any other bike of the same class. Yes it has not so much horsepower and it is not large in sizes, but it is a REAL IRON BIKE and he has a great sound of the exhaust! Savage I really like it!
Yes I understand your fashion appearance, the rest yet for me it is not quite clear...

wambr,

In United States, fuel for motorcycle and automobile is 90% gasoline and 10% ethanol.

Is your fuel 100% gasoline in Russia?

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #38 - 08/25/12 at 18:56:06

Being sorta realistic, don't these scooters and such each have a forum who takes care of their needs?

Every brand/type of motorcycle does, it seems.

We take care of the Savage, and if you choose to go after the 10 hp that Suzuki wouldn't give to you stock then we have some good advice for you.  

Make sure to take off your stock vac petcock at the start of your journey -- this will keep you from tripping over it 5-6 times along the way.

It will also protect your engine from some minor level "lean out" damage that will likely occur from the petcock running your float bowl dry repeatedly if you leave the vacsucker on there.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #39 - 08/25/12 at 22:06:48

Charon wrote on 08/25/12 at 18:45:29:

Doesn't do much for motorcycles and scooters with fuel pumps instead of gravity feed.

BTW, don't items that have fuel pumps NOT HAVE a vac petcock on them anyway ????

By definition, they have a fuel pump that doesn't run unless the ignition is on, right?    Smiley

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #40 - 08/25/12 at 22:26:14

Digger wrote on 08/25/12 at 18:55:40:
wambr wrote on 08/25/12 at 12:32:52:

wambr,

In United States, fuel for motorcycle and automobile is 90% gasoline and 10% ethanol.

Is your fuel 100% gasoline in Russia?

i repeat
I can't say that in Russia's petrol-is it really gasoline, but it has no smell of VODKA Grin
and my bike with 47000км and the age of 18 years goes fairly quickly.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #41 - 08/26/12 at 04:10:26

Boofer wrote on 08/24/12 at 22:17:03:
Dave, I just went back over some posts, and I totally disagree with disconnecting the kickstand safety. I know of at least one guy who left his down and broke a leg in his first left hand curve. I am NOT fussing. But I want you to be safe. Sticking the kick into asphalt at speed is similar to running over a golf ball at full lean in a curve. Again, not fussing. Just think about it. And now, on to Petcock Wars. Smiley

I am not a big fan of all this extra, add on, consumer safety stuff.  My mother has a riding lawn tractor that shuts the mower deck off whenever you back up......and the seat switch is so sensitive that it shuts the mower deck off whenever you hit a bump that makes you wiggle in the seat.....it is a real pain to mow with as the mower is constantly stopping.

When I got my Kawasaki Super Sherpa last year I felt a bit old, as it was the first bike I have ever owned that was electric start and did not have a kick starter.  It and the Savage were also the first bikes without manual fuel valves and with kick stand safety switches.  For me the routine of starting and stopping the bikes is engrained and the kick stand is the first thing up as soon as I get on the bike - even before I turn the key on.  I have read on this site about several bikes that have stopped running and people have had to chase down a corroded kick stand switch.....and it is just another thing that could potentially leave you stranded somewhere at a very inconvenient time.

I removed the Raptor just to avoid future problems.....and probably will do the same with the kickstand switch for the same reason.  My goal is not to make the bike unsafe.....just reliable as possible.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #42 - 08/26/12 at 04:57:33

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/25/12 at 22:06:48:

Charon wrote on 08/25/12 at 18:45:29:

BTW, don't items that have fuel pumps NOT HAVE a vac petcock on them anyway ????

By definition, they have a fuel pump that doesn't run unless the ignition is on, right?    Smiley

That is true. The effect, as far as the user is concerned, is identical and transparent. You turn on the ignition and start the machine. Fuel flow is controlled automatically, as it should be. There are also vacuum operated fuel pumps, which depend on vacuum pulses for their operation. My comment was aimed at the mentality behind the idea that real bikers need a real petcock.

To add a clinker, and a source of complaint, bikes with electric fuel pumps often have a "bank angle sensor" which shuts off the pump if the bike goes down. Honda had a recall on some Gold Wings for a bank angle sensor which was so sensitive it would sometimes trip during parking lot maneuvers, causing the engine to stall and often causing the rider to drop the bike when he was expecting power.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #43 - 08/26/12 at 06:18:07

Ok, w/ the mentality of a "couple in piticular" on this forum, every owner of a motorcycle that depends on a fuel pump to deliver fuel to the carb or injectors, should shitecan their fuel pumps, and raise their fuel tanks high enuff to make for gravity flow,.......just in case that the fuel pump should have a problem in the next 10 to 20 yrs !

And what happenned to the poll,......all of a sudden the largest %age have never had a problem w/ the vac PC ?? Now don't that throw a stick in OF & Sero's spokes !! Wait a minute, I must have read it wrong.

And what about the largest %'age at the bottom that raptorized out of pure "PETCOCK PARANOIA" ?? The biggest %age of them would have been added to the top,....if it wadnut for the "PETCOCK PARANOIA !!

But, hand it to OF and Sero,...they are acheiveing their goal of wanting everyone to suffer "PETCOCK PARANOIA",.....it is rizing to dangerous levels !!

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #44 - 08/26/12 at 06:44:33

And I didn't even vote in the poll, because I have had both petcock and carburetor problems over the years I have been riding motorcycles - and driving cars, too. I even had a vacuum petcock problem on a 1983 Suzuki GR650 Tempter. The petcock sprang an external leak around the operating handle, which had no effect on its operation and was not related to the vacuum parts. It was replaced under warranty. I had a carburetor problem on a Honda Elite 80 scooter, where the medium speed jet had apparently not been properly tightened on initial assembly. It fell out into the bottom of the float bowl, and caused the scooter to lose power. That scooter, by the way, has a vacuum operated fuel valve, which had no influence whatever on the problem. Were it stated somewhere that the answers to the poll must be strictly related to the Savage/S40, I'd have had to go with no problems at all.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 15:49:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stock Vac Petcock is a piece of shite

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.