Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 28
Send Topic Print
R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist (Read 1534 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist
Reply #75 - 12/17/23 at 18:44:22

“Q: What is the best tool to remove the c-clip on the CCT?”

Snap ring pliers.  Make sure those paper towels are in place before you try to remove the clip.  You don’t want that little spring steel clip falling into your crankcase.

Snap_Ring_Pliers_External.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #76 - 12/17/23 at 18:45:50

Now that you have managed to figure out where neutral is, get that battery disconnected.  Don’t be working in that primary case with the battery connected.  These rascals have a nasty habit of automatically energizing the starter motor (some anomaly with the decompression relay).  Always best to disconnect the battery when working on the engine.

Nice job on the clutch release cam.  No big deal on the o-ring.  By now you have probably figured out that removing the clutch cover is an easy job.  If that particular o-ring leaks, it is merely a housekeeping issue.  It will be a very small leak and won’t degrade oil pressure to anything.  Up to you if you change it or not.  Regarding the clutch push piece o-ring, you should probably change that one.  It affects oil pressure to the trans & clutch.

The play in the fitup between the release cam and the release shaft is something you have to evaluate on your own.  One way to get a better feel for how much play is in there is to push down on the release cam such that it is hard against its stop in the clutch cover, then gently twist the release shaft back & forth while you hold the release cam against the stop.  Any lost motion will be evident.

The yellow arrow points to the stop.

Release_Cam_Stop.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #77 - 12/17/23 at 18:47:24

You are correct about the release cam return spring, it doesn’t fit the Sneezy cam as well as it does the stocker.  Mine has hung in there.  If anyone else has observations regarding the return spring fitup, please chime in.

Now would be the time to evaluate your clutch pushrod.  Assuming you don’t end up changing plates, you should be able check for proper pushrod length.  If you need a longer or shorter pushrod you can order it now.  Personally, I just bought all three of the lengths so I would have them on hand.  I suggest you clean off any of the old gasket material and install your clutch cover with the new gasket.  Snug up all the fasteners and then check to see where your release arm lines up with the marks on the engine case.  Just place a 12” crescent wrench on the release arm and lightly exercise the arm a few times to seat the rod in the ball socket on the release cam.  Don’t push it hard, and don’t exceed about ˝” movement of the cable end of the release arm.  Then let the wrench hang, don’t push on the wrench, let it hang.

The weight of the wrench should take up all the slack in the release mechanism.  With all the slack out, check where the arm lines up with the marks on the case.  You want the arm centered between the two marks, like this.

Just_Right_Marks_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #78 - 12/17/23 at 18:50:28

If the release arm is situated too low, you need a shorter pushrod.  If the arm is situated too high, you need a longer pushrod, or you have too much play in the fit between the release cam and the release shaft.  If there is too much play between the shaft and the cam, shimming may be required.  Let us know what you figure out.

Once you know the as-found condition, you can remove the clutch cover and disassemble the clutch.  Inspect all the plates, measure their thickness, and clean them in new Rotella.  Just use an old toothbrush and clean Rotella in a shallow pan.  Scrub it all up and measure all the plates.  I bet they are all just fine.  Take some pics so we can see.

Put it all back together and reinstall the clutch pack.  It will be good practice and only takes a few minutes.  Then reinstall the clutch cover and gasket and confirm your pushrod situation.

Some tips on the clutch assembly:

Take a mill smooth file and dress down all the sharp edges on the clutch hub nut.  Those sharp edges dig into the soft lock-tab washer and mess up your torque when you tighten the nut.  Be very careful with the torque on that nut.  Never use a rattle wrench on it, and don’t exceed 50 ft-lbs.

See how all the edges on this nut have been rounded off so that they are not sharp.  Just break the edge with a file.

Nut_Edge_Chamfers.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #79 - 12/17/23 at 18:51:20

The wave washer assembly is nested within the outermost fiber plate.  Like this.  This picture shows me holding the flat wave washer seat.  It bears against the aluminum clutch hub (not shown).  The conical wave washer bears against the first steel plate.  Don’t mix that up.  Seat touches aluminum, wave washer touches steel.

Wave_Washer_Seat_001.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #80 - 12/17/23 at 18:52:03

This sketch shows the orientation.  Note that the sketch doesn’t show the fiber plate.  That outer fiber plate is different from the other five plates.  It’s a bit thicker, and the hole in the center is larger to accommodate the wave washer assembly.

Wave_Washer_Installation_003.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #81 - 12/17/23 at 18:52:50

Once you figure out what you need to get the clutch and clutch release mechanism squared away, take the entire clutch out and set it all aside.  As mentioned before, be very careful with the oil pump drive gear and drive pin.  Don’t lose the pin, don’t install the gear backwards.  Once the clutch is out of the way, you should have enough clearance to get the rear cam chain guide out the bottom.  That comes later, after you have removed the head cover.

You asked about backing off on the valve adjusters.  The suggestion was only meant to give you a little extra wiggle room.  It certainly wouldn’t hurt.

I have the same comment as SurvivingPhilly, the way you have worded your post leads me to believe you are looking into the wrong valve cover.  Although the hole in question is in the exhaust lobe The hole is in the intake lobe and  it is viewed through the intake valve cover.  From the back of the bike looking forward.  Yes, the endoscope would be useful for this check.

Revised 12/27/23.  DBM

« Last Edit: 12/27/23 at 11:15:29 by DragBikeMike »  

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #82 - 12/18/23 at 10:02:54

Thanks Mike!

Battery was promptly disconnected and returned to the bench.

Yup, I'm missing the important bolt that holds the side stand to the frame when the cap nuts on the long motor mount bolts running thru the case are loosed to remove the right foot peg, brake assembly and heat shield (causing my shifter and entire assembly to feel wonky).  I knew something wasn't right because this didn't happen on my last S40 when I removed those 2 cap nuts.  I almost dropped the bike on its left side when I was getting the bike on the stand.  Thanks for this catch!  I was able to get the bolt added to the parts order I placed yesterday.

I bought a cheap snap ring plyer set.  Now I need to figure out how to use it.  It has 2-straights, 1- 45, and 1- 90 degree.

Sorry for my confusing comment about the oil hole in the exhaust lobe.  Attached are a few endoscope photos of what I believe is TDC on the compression stroke.  Both sets of valves are closed, rocker arms wiggle, and I can see the oil hole in the exhaust cam lobe (photo attached).

Cam_exhaust_lobe_oil_hole.jpg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #83 - 12/18/23 at 10:04:22

View of intake valves in closed position thru the intake port.

Intake_Valves_Closed.jpg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #84 - 12/18/23 at 10:05:20

Exhaust Valves Closed.

Exhaust_Valve_2_Closed.jpg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #85 - 12/18/23 at 10:06:35

Other exhaust valve (poor photo).

Exhaust_Valve_Closed.jpg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #86 - 12/18/23 at 10:43:23

I bagged off the clutch pack and gear area in the event I might drop the little C-clip.  Put an old kitchen cup towel in the bottom to catch little parts and keep the area free of debris.

CCT_C-Clip_bagged_up_clutch_area.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #87 - 12/18/23 at 10:51:02

Snap Ring Plyers are just small enough to fit on the clip (the other 3 options in the snap ring kit are bigger).  I think I got this figured out.  I'll have a magnetic parts grabber propped in there to try to hang on to it and catch.

Dang little important parts!!!  It blows my mind how many tiny little parts are needed to make a motorcycle function and perform.

Snap_Ring_Plyers.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #88 - 12/18/23 at 10:59:15

DragBikeMike wrote on 12/17/23 at 18:47:24:
You are correct about the release cam return spring, it doesn’t fit the Sneezy cam as well as it does the stocker.  Mine has hung in there.  If anyone else has observations regarding the return spring fitup, please chime in.

Now would be the time to evaluate your clutch pushrod.  Assuming you don’t end up changing plates, you should be able check for proper pushrod length.  If you need a longer or shorter pushrod you can order it now.  Personally, I just bought all three of the lengths so I would have them on hand.  I suggest you clean off any of the old gasket material and install your clutch cover with the new gasket.  Snug up all the fasteners and then check to see where your release arm lines up with the marks on the engine case.  Just place a 12” crescent wrench on the release arm and lightly exercise the arm a few times to seat the rod in the ball socket on the release cam.  Don’t push it hard, and don’t exceed about ˝” movement of the cable end of the release arm.  Then let the wrench hang, don’t push on the wrench, let it hang.

The weight of the wrench should take up all the slack in the release mechanism.  With all the slack out, check where the arm lines up with the marks on the case.  You want the arm centered between the two marks, like this.

When I checked this before surgery, it rested (tilted slightly) towards the top of the range markings but still within the range.  My push rod is the 45.5mm length.  I'm inclined to leave this as is and just roll with the 45.5.  I see no visible difference in the stock vs Sneeze cam release that would suggest a different length push rod is needed.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #89 - 12/18/23 at 11:19:27

Replies 78-81 regarding the clutch intimidate me.  File and dress down the clutch hub nut, wave washer that looks like it go in cockeyed (this illustration also confused me reading in Clymer), and more....  I'm inclined to save all this clutch work for a future project and move on to my main objective of getting the wood out of the cylinder.

I think you said in your post that the head can be removed without removing the rear cam chain guide (it's just clumsy and awkward).  I noted that you did recommend removing it...but can't I just be clumsy and awkward and work around it?   Undecided

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 28
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 15:17:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.