Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28
Send Topic Print
R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist (Read 1534 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist
Reply #360 - 01/01/24 at 11:20:06

You want to be the manual version of this machine!

(Sorry about the poor film quality....not my fault).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v36vbKYAOU

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #361 - 01/01/24 at 12:18:58

A CNC Sealant Applicator, what will they think of next.  That syringe lays down a mighty fine bead Dave.  My compliments.

You mentioned leaks just above the spark plug.  I forgot about that.  So, our suggested footprint for the sealant needs to be revised.

There are two bolt holes in the cylinder head that break through the casting.  I have circled them in this picture.

Daves_Suggested_Bead.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #362 - 01/01/24 at 12:23:42

The bead of sealant needs to go inside these two holes.  Unfortunately, the hole above the spark plug also requires that sealant be applied right next to the cam bearing.  If that small area doesn't get sealed off, the pressurized oil will run into the hole and leak out just above the spark plug.

See how the drilled & tapped hole breaks through the casting.

Bolt_Hole_3.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #363 - 01/01/24 at 12:27:04

The hole toward the rear, just above the left-rear cylinder head stud has the same problem.  That one isn't a big deal because it's only subjected to splash oil, but if the sealant doesn't go all the way around the threaded hole you can end up with a leak.

Bolt_Hole_5.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #364 - 01/01/24 at 12:35:35

I clean these holes out really good with BrakeClean. and then fill them in from the bottom with epoxy.  But it's better to seal them from the top to keep the oil out.  So, I suggest this revised sealant bead footprint.  The area in yellow shows the where the footprint needs to be extended.  Paul, you must go sparingly around that cam bearing.

Sealant_Bead_Suggested_Revised.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #365 - 01/01/24 at 12:47:47

DragBikeMike wrote on 01/01/24 at 12:23:42:
The bead of sealant needs to go inside these two holes.  Unfortunately, the hole above the spark plug also requires that sealant be applied right next to the cam bearing.  If that small area doesn't get sealed off, the pressurized oil will run into the hole and leak out just above the spark plug.

See how the drilled & tapped hole breaks through the casting.

What is this hole for?  I’ve been wondering.  Do you have a pic from above where you are talking about?  I looked like it terminated in a bolt hole if I remember correctly.  Hopefully I got some sealant in the area and I’m ok.  EDIT: Ignore this comment question.  I missed part of your comments trying to read on my phone.

I got the head cover back on without too much drama.  I think I got it sealed up per previous instructions and Dave’s add-on suggestion.  I didn’t take any pictures.  I didn’t want to dilly dally around.  I did a couple dry runs to figure out the best angle.  The cam gear and chain are tricky to get by with the motor in the frame.  And that stupid bolt that hold the glory cover is just a pain.  I think I got the mating surfaces aligned right and didn’t disturb the sealant.

I spent about an hour with the cam this morning and I’ve convinced myself I aligned it as good as possible.  Fingers crossed.

Waiting for sealant to cure a couple days.  Still waiting for some parts.  Tomorrow looks like a day off.  Thanks Mike!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #366 - 01/01/24 at 13:28:04

Since I didn't put any sealant down the bolt hole by the spark plug, what kind of epoxy should I use on the outside by the plug.  I may as well address this now before I put oil in the engine.  If I address now, cleaning up should be less than if I wait to see oil dripping out the hole.

I think I got my sealant bead about right compared to Dave's photos.  I did squeeze out pretty good over here on the plug side.  I may have got enough sealant in and around that bolt hole that is bored right through.  That's just some messed up design by Suzuki right there. "Just drill straight through...it'll be fine."

Sealant_in_Spark_Plug_area.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #367 - 01/01/24 at 13:41:40

Dave wrote on 01/01/24 at 11:20:06:
You want to be the manual version of this machine!

(Sorry about the poor film quality....not my fault).

THIS MACHINE I AM NOT!!  I did the best I could with my shaky hands and poor eyesight.  I was sensitive to not overdoing it.  I should have taken a pic, but my hands were busy and ...fingers kinda tacky.  Better to get it on me than someplace it shouldn't go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v36vbKYAOU

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #368 - 01/01/24 at 15:07:53

ThumperPaul wrote on 01/01/24 at 13:28:04:
 I may as well address this now before I put oil in the engine.  If I address now, cleaning up should be less than if I wait to see oil dripping out the hole.

I did squeeze out pretty good over here on the plug side.  I may have got enough sealant in and around that bolt hole that is bored right through.  That's just some messed up design by Suzuki right there. "Just drill straight through...it'll be fine."

I would just pull out those 2 bolts and put some RTV on the threads, then put them back in and torque em.  I have never had any of the bikes I put back together leak - but I have worked on several that have had oily heads over by the spark plug.  (See the filthy head in this photo.....since the dirt/oil is up on the vertical area by the spark plug, I suspect the sealant was leaking at the seam).

IMG_2865_001.JPG

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #369 - 01/01/24 at 16:14:31

I like that idea, Dave.  I can use a straight syringe and inject it down the holes and then torque it back up on those bolts.  Thanks.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #370 - 01/01/24 at 16:45:04

Except the hole above the spark plug is for the bolt that can't be removed.  So, just come from the bottom of the hole and seal it off with epoxy.  The epoxy logs (like JB Weld High Heat) are like clay, so it's easy to simply press the putty into the hole with your finger.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #371 - 01/01/24 at 17:00:36

Woops!  You're right.  Epoxy from the outside it will be.  Thanks.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #372 - 01/04/24 at 12:30:17

I just found out you don't need to remove the cylinder stud after all.

Go to 26 minutes for the fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyaLdxhtvjk&t=1572s

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #373 - 01/04/24 at 12:59:43

Grin  Yeah, somebody shared this on Mike post.  Just hack off the fins!!  Then wonder how you got metal shavings in the motor when you put it back together...  I may not be a mechanic, but I won't do this!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #374 - 01/04/24 at 16:37:29

I just saw this video - it definitely is not what I would recommend folks do.

The fellow who posted it was replacing the head gasket.....most likely there was nothing wrong with the head gasket and is was a typical oi leak from the head plug or failed sealant on the head cover.

The fellow chose to hang the right side engine cover (clutch side) rather than just disconnect the clutch cable - that is definitely an indication that he was in a hurry and not too methodical about his work.

I wonder if he ever go the bike running again - or how long the repair lasted?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 13:23:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.