Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 28
Send Topic Print
R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist (Read 1534 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist
Reply #330 - 12/30/23 at 18:16:59

Lubricate the right-front nut with clean engine oil (face & threads) and install it on the stud.  Again, working down the rabbit hole can be tricky.  I like to apply tape on a 14mm socket and then press the nut into the socket.  Makes the job a whole bunch easier.

RF_Nut_Tool.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #331 - 12/30/23 at 18:19:23

Don’t forget the two 8mm nuts that are installed from underneath the head.  One in front, just below the exhaust, and one in the rear, just below the intake.  These two nuts and studs need similar treatment.  Clean, well-oiled threads.

Tighten the cylinder head fasteners in four increments (70 inch-lbs, 140 inch-lbs, 210 inch-lbs, and 280 inch-lbs).  If you don’t have an inch-lb torque wrench, divide by 12 to convert to ft-lbs (6 ft-lbs, 12 ft-lbs, 18 ft-lbs, and 24 ft-lbs).  Tighten in a criss-cross pattern.

Between each increment, snug up the 8mm nuts underneath the head.  Their torque spec is 19 ft-lbs, but I haven’t figured out how to get a torque wrench on them.  Just snug them up after each sequence and on the final go round try to approximate 19 ft-lbs.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #332 - 12/30/23 at 18:21:44

Paul, I hope this information is helpful.  After you get a handle on your cylinder condition, if you choose to go this route with your head fasteners you can refer back to this section.

Here are a few other things to be thinking about.

-How does the cylinder base gasket look?  If it is leaking or extruding, it would be good to know now.
-How are those three threaded holes I asked you to check?
-Do you have a ring compressor?
-Do you have an inside micrometer to measure your cylinder?
-Do you have a cylinder hone?

BTW, I still think you should hang on to the Web cam.  You just don’t know enough about this motorcycle to modify the engine.  You have never actually seen it running.  See how it runs first, then think about modifications.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #333 - 12/30/23 at 18:45:25

Thanks Mike.  I'm plowing ahead without addressing the cylinder wall issues.  Let's see what happens.

I'll wipe the anti-seize off the top side of the washers for what it's worth.

The 2 studs I had to reinstall hit bottom.  I didn't count turns.  I did leave myself a sharpie mark where they protruded when I removed them.  They are down in there to those marks.  Getting those studs out once was enough fun.

I used Restoseal 5 thread locker on the right rear.  It is PFTE based (teflon).  Personally, I don't think thread locker does a thing here.  It just gets squeezed out.  Trust the copper crush washer to do it's job.

I used straight 30 weight motor oil on the threads and nuts.  Threads were clean and the nuts turn like a hot knife through butter.

Yes, I know the stud torquing is a stretching application as opposed to a fastening exercise.  

Can you please share with me how you torque the main studs?  Pattern?  20nm first round, 30nm second round.  Or whatever practice you use?

Thanks again for all your help!!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #334 - 12/30/23 at 18:48:35

Sorry Mike.  Notes crossed.  Yes, I have a digital torque wrench that handles the main metrics. nm, inch lb, ft lb.

Thanks for the torquing info!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #335 - 12/31/23 at 11:09:42

Forging ahead.  Head studs torqued to spec.

I'm reinstalling the stock cam.  The following are photos of the index marks.

When I rotate the motor and get the mark lined up through the timing hole and the mark on the main gear is pointing downward towards the floor (6 o'clock position), the index marks are nice and level on the cam.  This is without tension being applied to the chain.

If I apply a little pressure to the chain (pretending to be the rear cam chain guide and tensioner), chain slack is removed.  The index marks on the cam tilt 2-3 degrees counterclockwise.  Please see photos if this description doesn't make sense.  I think I'm good here.  I don't think I can align it any better by moving the chain a tooth on the gear.

Am I in a slight 2-3 "advanced" timing here, or am I retarded?  (be nice!)

Timing_Cover_Mark.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #336 - 12/31/23 at 11:11:24

Main Gear 6 o'clock index.  The upside down "L" is about as level as my old eyes can get.

Main_Gear_Index_Mark.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #337 - 12/31/23 at 11:13:13

Position of cam index marks when turning the motor with no cam chain tensioner pressure on the chain (free riding chain).

Cam_Index_Marks.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #338 - 12/31/23 at 11:16:52

Cam index marks if I take the slack out of the chain pretending I'm a rear cam chain guide and tensioner.  Seems like 2-3 degrees to the counterclockwise direction.

Degreeing the cam.  Above my paygrade.

Cam_Index_Marks_with_pressure_on_rear_cam_chain_guide.jpeg
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #339 - 12/31/23 at 12:30:05

The cam being off a degree or two is a sign of a worn cam chain. A new chain should have the marks right at 9 and 3 o’clock.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #340 - 12/31/23 at 13:35:23

It's at 9 & 3 until I put pressure on the chain where the rear cam chain guide is located.  Sounds like I need to try moving the chain 1 tooth over on the gear to account for the chain slack that will eventually be taken up by the cam chain tensioner.

I can try it.  I am kinda curious if 1 tooth will be too much of an adjustment or actually be right and get it aligned when chain slack is accounted for.  I'm also a little concerned if I move it 1 tooth, that I'll introduce too much slack on the front chain guide.

Am I better off leaving as is or trying to move 1 tooth that would introduce a little slack on the front side chain guide?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #341 - 12/31/23 at 14:10:08

The "L" on the nut means nothing about timing.....that "L" moves around as you tighten/torque the nut.

The photo of the timing mark on the left side of the crank doesn't look entirely lined up - but that could just be a photo issue and not reality.

You should move the chain 1 tooth and see if the cam is better aligned.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #342 - 12/31/23 at 15:31:41

I know the L meaning nothing (except left threaded).  I just used it for trying to get perfectly vertical since the actual index mark is exactly 180° the other side.  I know I’ve got it really close to 6 o’clock exactly.  I did it multiple times and this was my best effort.

I just moved it 1 tooth.  I’ll send photos in a few minutes.

An important related question is… how much slack should be in the chain on the front cam chain guide side?  Should it be super tight against the guide?  Or should I be able to easily get my finger in between the front chain guide and the chain.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #343 - 12/31/23 at 16:02:48

Moved the chain over 1 tooth.  See next photo for chain slack on the front guide side with the marks in this position.

Cam_Index_Mark2.jpeg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #344 - 12/31/23 at 16:04:20

That looks better! Smiley

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 28
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 15:23:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.