Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 28
Send Topic Print
R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist (Read 1534 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist
Reply #315 - 12/30/23 at 18:03:57

When you tighten your cylinder head fasteners, there are several things that affect the torque reading.  The torque wrench is simply a way to measure the friction in the thread system.  If the friction is high, the torque value will be achieved before the fastener is stretched enough.  If the friction is low, the torque value will be achieved at a point where the fastener is stretched too far.

When you tighten the head nuts, you are stretching the long studs.  Those studs act like springs.  The more you stretch them, the more force they apply to the cylinder head.  That force stored up in the studs keeps the cylinder head and cylinder clamped together.

I don’t recommend applying lubricants of unknown characteristics.  That’s why I tested a whole bunch of sealants and lubricants against the factory recommended lubricant (engine oil).  You can achieve dramatic variations in stretch with a simple change in lubricant/sealant.

This table should give you an idea.  Simply changing from engine oil to silicone sealant results in a reduction in stretch of approximately 53%.  That is essentially a 53% reduction in stress level.

Cylinder_Stud_Stress_Test_Stretch_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #316 - 12/30/23 at 18:04:44

You stated that you applied anti-seize to both faces of the copper washers for three of the studs (RF, LF & LR), and pipe dope to one face of the copper washer for the RR stud.  That may or may not be OK.  I don’t know how those lubricants/sealants compare to what I tested.  The pipe dope may have a dramatically different coefficient of friction (just like the silicone sealant did).  Same goes for the anti-seize (Nickel base?  Moly base?  Copper base?).  So, I suggest you either use exactly what the factory manual recommends (clean engine oil) on the threads and washers, or use the stuff that I previously suggested.  It’s good that you did not apply the anti-seize to the threads.  Don’t use anti-seize on the threads or nut faces.  Anti-seize has a much lower coefficient of friction, it may result in overstressing the fastener.

I’m gonna go through my process.  You can use it if you like, but if you find it too cumbersome, you should follow the factory process.  

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #317 - 12/30/23 at 18:05:21

Clean the male threads.  Crud equals friction, so get the threads clean.  A wire brush works fine.  Make sure the two studs that you removed are threaded into the engine case at least 14 turns.  The two studs that you did not remove should be ok.  If in doubt, take them out, suck out the holes in the case, and reinstall them to at least 14 turns.

Stud_Clean_Thds.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #318 - 12/30/23 at 18:06:21

Clean the internal threads in each nut.  I like these little wire brushes for cleaning gun barrels (available at WalMart).

Head_Nut_Clean_Threads.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #319 - 12/30/23 at 18:07:06

See how nice the internal threads are.  You also want the flange face clean and smooth.

Head_Nut_Cleaned.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #320 - 12/30/23 at 18:07:46

Test each nut and stud to verify that the nuts thread smoothly onto the stud.

Head_Nut_Check_Threads.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #321 - 12/30/23 at 18:08:41

Clean all the spot faces on your cylinder head.  The right-front is hard to access, do the best you can.

Stud_RR_Spotface_Clean.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #322 - 12/30/23 at 18:09:44

The right-rear head nut operates in an oil bath.  If oil leaks under the nut, it will result in a leak out the opening in the back of the cylinder.  The soft copper washer is intended to seal off the nut, but to add a little reassurance, coat the copper washer with anaerobic PTFE thread sealant.  I have tested it, and it does not have a significant impact on stud stretch (see table previously posted).  Permatex PX59214 or Loctite 592 work about the same.  The stud stretch at full torque is very close to that achieved with the factory recommended lubricant.

Apply the sealant like this (bottom of the nut and one face of the copper washer).

Head_Nut_RR_Teflon_Sealant.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #323 - 12/30/23 at 18:10:27

Use a Q-Tip to apply clean engine oil to the internal threads.

Head_Nut_RR_Oiling_Threads.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #324 - 12/30/23 at 18:11:41

Install the copper washer with the sealant in contact with the aluminum head.  Then install the nut.  It will look like this.  Ignore the dowel with the yellow “X”, you don’t have one of those.

Head_Nut_RR_Sealed_Correctly.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #325 - 12/30/23 at 18:12:51

For the remaining copper washers, coat one side with anti-seize.  These washers typically gall on the aluminum head.  The anti-seize reduces the galling but does not eliminate it completely.  You only want anti-seize on the surface that contacts the aluminum cylinder head.  I have only tested nickel based anti-seize.  Permatex 771 works fine for me.

New_Copper_Wshr_One_Side_Anti_Seize.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #326 - 12/30/23 at 18:13:38

Place the copper washers over the studs.  The surface with the anti-seize must contact the aluminum cylinder head.  See how you can’t see the anti-seize.  If you can see the anti-seize, you either applied it to both faces of the washer, or you have the washer upside down.

Copper_Wshrs_LF__LR.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #327 - 12/30/23 at 18:14:18

Lubricate the internal threads and flange faces of the two remaining acorn nuts.  Clean engine oil and a Q-Tip get the job done.  Then install the LF & LR nuts.

Head_Nut_Acorn_LF__LR_Lubricating.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #328 - 12/30/23 at 18:15:17

The right front cylinder head nut is different.  It is a standard flanged nut.  It goes down the rabbit hole.

Head_Nut_RF.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #329 - 12/30/23 at 18:16:09

It can be tricky to install the copper washer with the anti-seize in contact with the aluminum cylinder head.  A small rod or dowel works great for this.  Just put the washer on the rod, hold the washer while placing the rod against the top of the stud, then drop the washer.

Copper_Wshr_RF_Use_rod_as_Guide.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 28
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 15:19:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.