Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 28
Send Topic Print
R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist (Read 1534 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist
Reply #285 - 12/29/23 at 17:54:39

The valve stem tips look a little funky (green circles).  Are they nice and smooth?  Can you get a better picture.  Valve stem tips usually have a nice shiny circle in the center where the adjuster contacts the stem tip.  I can see your adjusters look pretty good, don't know why the stem tips wouldn't be good too.  See if you can clean them off and get a better picture.

The smaller head cover dowel needs to be moved from the head cover to the cylinder head (red circle)

Dowel__Valve_Tips.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #286 - 12/29/23 at 18:02:19

The syringe will be fine for sealant application.  Correct application is very important.  I'm gonna go over a few things regarding sealant.

Head cover sealant can cause big problems.  Get that stuff where it doesn't belong, and you can obstruct oil flow to the point of failure.  In particular, the cam bearings are easily fouled with sealant.

See these chamfers at the edges of the right-hand cam bearing.  Those chamfers provide the majority of lubrication for the cam lobes.

Cam_Brg_Chamfers_RH.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #287 - 12/29/23 at 18:06:03

Similar chamfers in the left-hand cam bearing provide lubrication for the exhaust valves and also the left-hand main bearing and balance shaft bearing.  I think you can see that the chamfers are small.   If you get carried away with the sealant, it can squeeze out of the joint and completely fill the chamfers.

Cam_Brg_Chamfers_LH.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #288 - 12/29/23 at 18:07:32

I’ll check the depth of that stud.  Great tip on getting the dowel out without damaging it.  I’m glad you caught me before I put some pliers on it.

I used a nylon brush on a couple spots and brake cleaner in addition to a scotch brite.  Those scratches are super magnified in photo.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #289 - 12/29/23 at 18:12:59

I haven’t touched the valves.  I’ll try to clean up with some oil and shammy.  Thanks for telling me to move that dowel to the head.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #290 - 12/29/23 at 18:15:04

I took a Sharpie and marked up a head cover to show how the sealant should be distributed over the head cover sealing surface when the head cover is installed.  Note that the footprint stays well away from the chamfers on the left-hand cam bearing, and there is no sealant around the right-hand cam bearing.

With a roller type applicator, I can pretty much spread the sealant just like the footprint shows, but with the syringe, you will have to anticipate how the sealant will behave and apply it accordingly.  That's not too difficult and I'm sure Dave can give you some tips on how to apply the sealant with the syringe.  

Don't mistake this picture for a guide on where to lay your sealant bead.  This is a picture of how you want your sealant to spread out when you install the head cover.

Sealant_Footprint.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #291 - 12/29/23 at 18:16:22

See how the sealant footprint stays well away from the left-hand cam bearing chamfers.

Sealant_Footprint_LH_Cam_Brg.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #292 - 12/29/23 at 18:17:19

See how there is no sealant around the right-hand cam bearing.

Sealant_Footprint_RH_Cam_Brg.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #293 - 12/29/23 at 18:19:44

I have never tried the syringe applicator, but I suspect that you would want to lay a very thin bead just as shown in this picture.  Maybe Dave can comment on whether or not this is suitable.

Sealant_Bead_Suggested.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #294 - 12/29/23 at 18:25:41

You need to have everything ready to go before you apply the sealant.  Once you apply the sealant it's time to rock & roll.  The Permatex Optimum Gray and Optimum Black have pretty decent working time, and Dave has said that the Suzuki bond also has a lengthy working time, but it will set up if you dilly dally.

One thing that must be in place before you apply the sealant is the oil feed o-ring.  You should tack that in place a day before you go to install the head cover.

This o-ring.

Oil_Feed_O-Ring.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #295 - 12/29/23 at 18:28:17

I like to put four very small dabs of sealant in the o-ring cavity and insert the o-ring.  Let it sit for a day and you won't have to worry about that o-ring dropping out while you are trying to juggle the head cover back in place.

Tacking_O-Ring.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #296 - 12/29/23 at 18:29:16

This guy will stay put even while you are installing the head cover.

O-Ring_Tacked.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #297 - 12/29/23 at 18:55:02

When you are ready to install your cylinder head, you will need to be familiar with the procedure for tightening up the cylinder head fasteners.  In preparation for that, I suggest you get some teflon thread sealant and some anti-seize.  The teflon thread sealant is for the right-rear copper washer, and the anti-seize is for the other three copper washers.  

Permatex PX59214 or Loctite 592 are readily available PTFE thread sealing compounds.  I tested both and achieved similar results.

For anti-seize, Permatex 771 works well, and it is available in small 5 oz. tubes.

The anti-seize and PTFE thread sealant are not for the threads.  They are for the joint between the copper washers and the cylinder head.  This area needs to be lubricated in order to prevent galling.  The threads and nut faces must be lubricated with clean engine oil.  More on this later.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #298 - 12/29/23 at 19:24:49

Mike,

I think you may have missed a question above. Look at the cylinder in photo 272. I’m concerned about the vertical scoring on the cylinder wall and the lack of cross hatching. That cylinder looks like it’s in need of resurfacing. What are your thoughts

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #299 - 12/30/23 at 03:02:21

Paul - Good job on your mechanical apprenticeship!

Sorry for being so "missing" in all this fun - I am away with family and the only time I can get on my laptop is at 5AM before the others get up.  My laptop is very cumbersome for dong any kind of photos or editing....I will be home this evening.

DragBikeMike's illustration of how to apply the sealant is good - I do however circle the sealant around the hole at the top right side of the photo, and also a thin strip around the weird shaped O ring.  The syringe I use is about half the diameter of the one Paul showed.....and the tip has a larger opening.  It is easy to hold the syringe with your thumb and last three fingers and I push the syringe with my index finger.  The syringe can be used over and over - you just leave the left over RTV in the syringe and let is cure - then pull out the plunger and the RTV comes out - the RTV doesn't stick to the smooth plastic.....you may have to help it come out of the tip by pushing a wire through.  I will post some photos tomorrow when I am back home.

I really like the Suzukibond for the head cover.  It sets up slower than other RTV products I have used, it is less glossy and seems to have a bit more "solids"  in it, and a tube of it lasts for years without setting up in the tube.  When I buy other RTV products the end of the tube sets up in a very short period of storage, and from then on I have to poke a screwdriver through the side of the tube to get to the uncured RTV.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 28
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 15:25:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.