Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 28
Send Topic Print
R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist (Read 1534 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Re: R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist
Reply #240 - 12/28/23 at 13:54:12

Meet Woody!!  After a C-section, Woody came out at 13mm, 17 grams!!  He's a big healthy hunk of burning wood!!

Meet_Woody.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #241 - 12/28/23 at 13:57:15

The photo of Woody was stagged after a quick clean up of the piston top with some carb cleaner, nylon brush, and soft shammy.

Piston_after_carb_clean_nylon_brush.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #242 - 12/28/23 at 13:58:41

It's a 94mm piston.  Is it stock or do I have some badass high compression flat top?

94mm_Piston.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #243 - 12/28/23 at 14:03:50

Carbon build-up.  What is the best way to give this a good clean up without disassembling the entire head into pieces?

Right now, it's sitting on the bench taking a valve bath in Berryman B-60 carb cleaner.  I just have it sitting like this photo and pooled the carb cleaner in the valve area to soak (with the spark plug put back in).

Carbon_Build_Up_Valves.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #244 - 12/28/23 at 14:04:26

Got Gunk?

Carbon_Gunk.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #245 - 12/28/23 at 14:05:27

Little Baby Woody!!

Woody_13mm.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #246 - 12/28/23 at 14:17:53

Thanks Mike and Dave for hooking me up with this tool!  It took about 4-5 tries getting the right engagement on each stud, but it works!!  I was trying to baby it too much initially.

You have to force the rod part of the tool on the stud pretty good against the head (not so tight that you crack the head, but tight).  Then run the 'left hand threaded jab bolt' down until it hits the stud.  Then hold the rod part of tool with a 1/2" open end on the flats.  While holding, jam that bolt down on there real tight.  At that point, I actually removed the 1/2" wrench on the rod and gave the 11/16" jab bolt a good crank.  The sweet sound of it breaking free was awesome!

Thanks Guys!

Read_Head_Studs_and_Tool.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #247 - 12/28/23 at 14:50:36

Mike and Dave - y'all mentioned the mess that can get down in the right rear stud hole.  Here's a pic of the 'milkshake mess' that I was able to suck out with an 8mm tube connected to a canister vacuum.

The left rear hole really didn't have anything.

Milkshake_from_right_rear_stud_hole.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #248 - 12/28/23 at 15:02:50

YAY!  The main goal has been accomplished - the hunk of wood is out of the cylinder!!  Thank you very much for teaching me and guiding me this far!!

I have all the parts to put the head and head cover back together on the bike.  I am still waiting for some other parts like a Verslavy CCT which I've sent mine to Verslagen for mod.

I obviously want y'alls assessment of the cam bearings, lobes, and everything.  I have some time now to clean up and get ready for reassembly.

1) what can I use to clean up the piston and head valve area.  Do's and Don'ts.

2) likewise, can I use a scotch bright pad and some solvent to remove the remains of the head gasket?  And the mating areas of the head and head cover (I think I've got those ok using some brake cleaner and my finger nails.)

Again, thank you!!  I am really looking forward to getting the bike back together and running!

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #249 - 12/28/23 at 20:25:04

My goodness, you have been one busy beaver.  Can't keep up with you.  That is one mighty BIG chunk of wood.  Woody is definitely a great name for your hotrod.

I will start with a suggestion that you stop with the carbon cleaning.  That carbon is normal accumulation, will be right back after about 1000 miles, and isn't hurting anything.  But all that cleaning is sending a ton of debris and carb cleaner right down the large clearance between the top of the piston and the cylinder.  The crud is getting trapped in the top ring groove and there is no way to get it out.  Let it dry up for a day or two and then try to vacuum it out as best you can.  I suspect I might be too late with this guidance, but if it doesn't help you maybe it will help someone else. Can't hurt.  

BTW, be careful rotating your engine with that cam chain all bunched up down around the primary gear.  It will jam and you can break something.

See the BIG gap around the circumference of the piston.  Crud just loves to get into that cavern.

Gap.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #250 - 12/28/23 at 20:29:43

You want to seal that gap off before you clean stuff.  For instance, if you use a mild abrasive to clean up the head gasket surface, lots of abrasive particles with slough off the ScotchBrite pad or sandpaper, and it will go right down the gap between the piston and cylinder.  You also need to keep that stuff out of the oil feed and drain.

You can seal off the piston with putty and a piece of copper wire.  I just love Plumber's Putty.  Super cheap, readily available, easy cleanup.

Plumbers_Putty.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #251 - 12/28/23 at 20:32:01

Use a piece of copper wire to keep the putty from squeezing into the gap.  Cut the wire exactly 11-5/8" long and roll it into a nice ring.

Copper_Wire_11_63.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #252 - 12/28/23 at 20:33:35

See how nice that 11-5/8" long wire fits into the bore.  Push it right down against the circumference of the piston.

Copper_Wire_Installed.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #253 - 12/28/23 at 20:34:58

Then take small rolls of plumber's putty and use them to tack the copper ring in place.  Like this.

Tacking_with_putty.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #254 - 12/28/23 at 20:36:08

Then completely seal off the top of the piston by packing the circumference with the putty.  Like this.

Sealed_Off_with_putty.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 28
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 22:28:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.