Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 28
Send Topic Print
R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist (Read 1534 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist
Reply #210 - 12/27/23 at 11:43:22

I believe I see what Gary is concerned about regarding your left-hand cam bearing.  If you blow up the picture you can see what appears to be smearing.  I have a feeling it's just oil mixed with lint, but you need to take a closer look.  Clean up the bearing and make sure it doesn't have smeared aluminum which would indicate the bearing is wiping out.

See how this picture shows what appears to be smeared aluminum.   BTW, this is a bearing, not a journal.  The journal is part of the cam, the bearing is part of the head/head cover assembly.

LH_Upper_Brg.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #211 - 12/27/23 at 11:50:58

Usually, the cam bearing failures are pretty much confined to the lower half (the portion of the bearing that resides in the head).  That is the part of the bearing that carries all the load.  If a failure gets bad enough, aluminum will liquify and get dragged through the top half (the portion of the bearing that resides in the head cover).  If you have a problem with this left-hand bearing, it will be evident once you get the cam out.

I think that you should immediately try to remove your right-rear cylinder stud.  The complexion of your project will change dramatically if you can't get that stud out, so you should attack that immediately.  Do you have your stud removal tool ready?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #212 - 12/27/23 at 11:53:49

I’ll double check, but I’m not really feeling anything with my fingers and nails.  I will likely get the cam out tomorrow and then be able to get a feel and some better pics.

Based on what y’all can see right now, is there anything significantly more than normal wear or perhaps a bad valve clearance at some point in its life?

Bike has about 10,700 miles.

Heads and head covers come as a matched set, right?  I have a “70” marked on my head and head cover (like a white marker handwritten and not Japanese).  Is this a QR at Suzuki or could these be some eBay parts?  The missing washers on the head cover and other evidence suggests someone has been in here before.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #213 - 12/27/23 at 12:06:24

I agree that your rocker pads have some scoring.  I resurfaced one used set of new-style rockers (the ones with brazed pads) using wet & dry sandpaper on a surface plate.  It is not something an inexperienced wrench turner should attempt.  You need a perfectly flat plate and an experienced feel in order to maintain parallelism and the correct radius.  I think we need to see those cam lobes to see what the pads have been running on.

Regarding those sealing washers, when they have been in service for a long time, they tend to get stuck to the underside of the flange on the hex head.  When that occurs, it can look as if there is no washer.  Look very close; make sure they aren't stuck on the flange.  If in fact the washers are missing, you need to get some OEM washers.  For sure you want an OEM washer for the one bolt that can't be removed without pulling the head cover back off.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #214 - 12/27/23 at 12:30:08

To remove the cam, you will need to bend the lock tabs back and remove the two 6mm bolts that secure the cam sprocket to the cam.  Do this before you remove the thrust ring from the cylinder head.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #215 - 12/27/23 at 12:35:12

This picture shows one of the lock tabs (yellow arrow).  Also note the green lines that show how the timing marks on the cam line up with the head surface.  The timing marks must look like this when the piston is at TDC.

Timing_Marks__Lockplate_TPaul_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #216 - 12/27/23 at 12:39:23

When the lock tab plate is installed, it captures the cam drive pin (yellow arrow).  Be careful with the drive pin.  It can be removed from the cam, so it has the potential to get lost.  Again, note the cam timing marks (green lines).  You must be familiar with these marks for reassembly.

Straight_Up_Timing_12_TPaul.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #217 - 12/27/23 at 12:40:29

This is the thrust ring.  You want this in place when you bend the lock tabs on the sprocket bolts.

Thrust_Ring_2_001.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #218 - 12/27/23 at 12:45:20

Once the lock tabs have been folded back and the bolts broken loose, remove the thrust ring.  Once the thrust ring has been removed the cam can move right and left to facilitate sprocket removal from the cam.  When it's time to remove the sprocket, it helps if you can shift the cam all the way to the left.

The thrust ring is located here.

Thrust_Ring_Installed_TPaul.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #219 - 12/27/23 at 12:46:02

The thrust ring simply rolls out of the groove, like this.

Thrust_Ring_Installing_TPaul.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #220 - 12/27/23 at 12:47:23

The only thing holding you rear chain guide in place is this special pivot bolt.  There is an aluminum sealing washer under the flanged bolt head.

Pivot_Bolt.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #221 - 12/27/23 at 12:50:00

When you take the pivot bolt out, be careful not to lose the sealing washer.  The washer has a tendency to stick to the head.  See the washer on the pivot bolt.

Guide_Pivot.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #222 - 12/27/23 at 13:07:18

Once the pivot bolt has been removed, you should be able to pull the rear chain guide out the bottom through the primary case.  I find that it's easier to wrestle the rear guide out once the cam chain and sprocket have been removed from the cam.  

The yellow arrow shows the direction you want to pull the guide, sort of down and to the rear slightly.  You may have to twist it a bit.  It's kind of a juggling act.  My picture shows the primary drive gear removed, but you shouldn't have to remove the gear.   Mine was in this configuration because I was attempting guide removal with the head cover still in place.  So, if I could get the thing out with the cam chain still hooked up to the cam, you shouldn't have any problem getting the guide out with the cam chain out of the way.  

Removing_Rear_Guide.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #223 - 12/27/23 at 13:21:33

Now that you have an idea of what to do, lets go through steps.

-Bend back the lock tabs on the cam sprocket bolts.
-Break loose the cam sprocket bolts.
-Remove the thrust ring.
-Remove the can sprocket bolts.
-Shift the cam to the left and pull the cam sprocket off it's fit (watch the drive pin, don't lose it).
-Lift the cam chain off the sprocket.
-Juggle the cam out of the sprocket and chain and head (frustrating).
-Remove the sprocket and tie off the cam chain with wire or carefully lower it into the primary case.
-Remove the rear chain guide pivot bolt.
-Pull the rear chain guide out through the primary case.
-Remove the right-rear cylinder stud and the left-rear cylinder stud.

You are ready to start cylinder head removal.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #224 - 12/27/23 at 14:14:17

Thank you, Mike!!  These instructions and detailed photos are invaluable to me!  I did receive the stud puller from Dave.  I’m going to start with the cam removal tomorrow.  That’s tomorrow’s goal.  I’m still waiting for parts so no rush here.  Thanks again!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 28
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 22:33:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.