Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 28
Send Topic Print
R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist (Read 1534 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist
Reply #180 - 12/22/23 at 11:20:32

I can see from your picture that you are close to BDC.  Just a reminder that you need to get the engine positioned at TDC compression before you remove the head cover.

The "dot" on the crankshaft (yellow arrow) will be at 6 o'clock when the piston is at TDC.  We already discussed how to tell if it's on the compression stroke or the exhaust stroke.

Also, note that there is a letter "L" on your primary drive nut.  The green arrow is pointing at the "L".  That letter "L" indicates that the threads are left-hand.  You shouldn't have to mess with that nut for this job, but you should be aware that it is left-hand threads.

Sprocket_Timing__LH_Marks.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #181 - 12/22/23 at 11:26:17

You have the CCT removed.  With the CCT removed, the rear chain guide is loose, and so is the cam chain.  Try not to turn the engine backwards with the rear guide and chain loose.  If possible, hold the rear guide hard against the chain while you turn the engine.  Sometimes I take bailing wire and temporarily tie the rear guide off such that it is hard against the cam chain.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #182 - 12/22/23 at 11:36:04

Thanks guys!  And yes, feeling a bit sassier now!

Thanks for the storage tip on the thrust washer and spacer.  It's in a bag with the hub right now.  The other washer is in a different bag with the plate.

Yes, I didn't want that CCT nut getting lost.  Clymer was actually pretty clear about holding it on the backside with a wrench.  I'll use Blue loctite upon reassembly.  Remind me later.  LOL.

Pics of the fiber discs coming soon.  

And the wave washer - I do have a question about it.  It looks pretty flat and boring.  Let me see if I can get a close up pic of it removed.

Wave_Washer_and_Wave_Washer_Seat.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #183 - 12/22/23 at 13:18:34

I tried to get a better photo of the wave washer and wave washer seat.  The wave washer appears seated correctly with it being concave inward towards the seat.

My eyesight isn't very good.  It seems okay.  Is there a way to measure how wide it should be and if its tired and worn out?  I could try to measure the width with a few shims piled up, but that's about the best I could do.  When in doubt, buy a new one?  Or leave it as is?  If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

They should mark the dang thing "seat side" and "disc facing side".

Wave_Washer_and_Wave_Seat_2.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #184 - 12/22/23 at 13:27:54

Fiber Disc Side 1 and Side 2 of the last disc in the pack next to the pressure plate.  I tried to clean off the oil and get some decent photos, but I'm not sure what you're going to be able to tell.

What am I looking for?  (since the photos probably aren't much help?  All the fiber discs look about the same.  They all still have visible "tread grooves" like a tire.  Fair to say, when the tread grooves are gone, the discs are DONE!

How rough should they feel?  The surfaces feel fairly smooth without a lot of "grit" for lack of a better word.

Fiber_Disc_Side1.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #185 - 12/22/23 at 13:28:43

The other side of the same fiber disc.

Fiber_Disc_Side_2.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #186 - 12/22/23 at 13:52:26

Springs are all at 34.5-34.6mm resting length. Wear limit is 33mm, so these still seem healthy.

These will be replaced with Barnett springs, so the measurement is provided in case the data is helpful in evaluating overall condition or whatever.

Resting_Spring_Length_34_5mm.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #187 - 12/22/23 at 13:58:27

Inside surface of the hub.  On those "down ramp" edges, where my finger is pointing, they are a bit "burred", chipped, rough (or some descriptive word like that).  Not butter smooth....

Should I file or grind those down smooth?  I'm not buying a new hub for something like this.  It would have to be cracked.  lol.

Inside_Hub_running_surface.jpeg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #188 - 12/22/23 at 15:02:47

The fiber discs look fine - no sign of slipping or glazing that I see.  I would just put them back in without a bunch of scrubbing or sanding.

Those rough spots are likely just some flaws from the casting process.  I would not bother with them either.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #189 - 12/22/23 at 16:15:57

I like that answer Dave!  My eyesight is pretty bad so it's hard for me to see details (even with my bifocals on or a magnifying glass).  

What would badly glazed and slippage look like on the discs?  Do you or someone have an example photo?  When I think glazed, I think shiny and the residual oil on these fiber discs is playing with my eyes.  I'm very reluctant to put any type of cleaning solvent on the fiber discs.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #190 - 12/23/23 at 02:13:24

Clutches that have been abused have bluing from heat on the steel plates, and the fiber discs have a smooth/glazed surface where the steel plates have polished the friction surface.

Horribly abused clutches have steel plates that are black and the whole affair stinks of burnt friction material and oil.

If your clutch was slipping, it was likely because having 2 plates swapped around caused you to have only 8 contact areas between the steel and fiber plates - instead of the 10 that the bike has when the plates are installed properly.

I am confident you will go a better job of getting the clutch back together than the last fellow who worked on it.  That swapped plate assembly is the first time I have ever seen somebody make that mistake.  How hard is it to assemble +-+-+-+-+ without getting confused?  He must have had the TV on and got distracted while he was watching "Baywatch"!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #191 - 12/23/23 at 05:52:24

Thanks Dave.  I’ve never been able to ride this bike to know how the clutch behaves.  I’ll admit that me swapping out for the Barnett springs, is to do something cool or upgrade and try to get better clutch performance without knowing how the existing clutch behaves.  I’m fixing something that isn’t broke trying to gain something that may not be lacking.  (Does that make sense - I need more coffee.)

I don’t see anything severe.  But, I expected the fiber discs to be a little rougher to the touch.  But I have no basis for comparison, so I really don’t know what fresh new fiber discs feel like.  They measure out okay, because wondering if I should install fresh discs and plates.  I’d prefer to save the money, but I want to address it if it makes sense.  I probably just need to get the wood out and get her running and moving again.  Revisit the clutch later if it’s a problem.  I’ve already done more here than I anticipated in getting the head off and wood out.  The whole reason for pulling the clutch is to be able to remove the rear cam chain guide to more easily get the head off per Mike’s recommendation.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #192 - 12/23/23 at 10:17:14

I see you are asking about the wave washer orientation in another post.  I answered your question in that other post, and am repeating the answer here.  I don't see how it could be any clearer than the sketch Versy provided, but maybe a markup of your own picture might lift the fog.

Your pictures that you provided in this post shows your wave washer correctly installed.  I have marked one up.

The wave washer seat (yellow arrow) goes against the face of the aluminum clutch hub.  As previously mentioned, it is there to protect the aluminum face from the sharp edge on the wave washer.

The inside diameter edge of the wave washer (green arrow) goes against the wave washer seat.

The outside diameter edge of the wave washer (red arrow) goes against the first steel clutch plate.

You ask how you can test the wave washer to make sure it has proper force.  That thing is not worn out.  Don't worry about testing it.  It's conical; it's good.

Wave_Washer_Correct_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #193 - 12/23/23 at 10:43:56

Thanks Mike.  Sorry to be a nervous Nellie with OCD.  And making you repeat yourself.  I’m trying to refrain and control myself!  Reading the internet and seeing screw-ups by others put me on high alert!

Any comments on the other parts and photos before I try to put my mind to ease on this step?  Thanks.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #194 - 12/26/23 at 15:28:10

Head Cover removed today.  The L65 bolt is a menace.  I had to push it inward and out of its slot and lower it to lift and clear the head cover under the frame.  

Not sure how that's going to work putting the head cover back on with the motor still in the frame.  It may get a chrome headed bolt running downward from the chrome glory cover and then get a nut on it between the fins.

Underside_View_of_Head_Cover_Broad_View.jpeg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 28
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 19:53:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.