Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 28
Send Topic Print
R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist (Read 1534 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist
Reply #120 - 12/19/23 at 16:01:57

"is there an affordable good quality brand someone can recommend?"

Genuine Suzuki clutch plates work great.  The Barnett plates seem to work good too.  That being said, why would you want to install new plates when you haven't even tried the plates you currently have installed?

"What size is the clutch locknut when I get to that step?"

A 32mm socket fits perfectly.

"Is the nut 'loctited' on?"

No, the nut is secured with a lock-tab washer.  That is why I suggest that you break all the sharp edges and corners on the nut with a mill-smooth file.  The lock washer is annealed, and the sharp edges tend to dig into the washer and throw off your torque measurement.

"Does anybody want to give me an excuse to buy myself an air impact driver for Christmas?"

The new lithium battery powered impact wrenches work great.  Way more convenient than the old pneumatic guns.  But, you should not be using an impact wrench (rattle wrench) on this clutch hub nut.  There is almost no thread engagement.  The nut is only 8mm thick, and the male threads on the shaft have splines running through them.  It's very easy to damage the threads.  Keep the rattle wrench away from this nut.  The max torque is only 50 ft-lbs.  Very easy to get loose, very easy to tighten.

This is the lock tab washer.

Lock_Tab_Wshr_Installed.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #121 - 12/19/23 at 17:04:46

Thanks Mike!

I’ll clean up my clutch discs/plates.  Hopefully all good to go with nothing to replace.

I do like my ryobi, but it’s not an impact.  I need to get a 32mm socket.  Largest I have is like a 27 or 28.

Sorry I forgot to answer you about the endoscope camera.  This is it.  It plugs right into the battery port on an iPhone.  You were supposed to send me your address and you would’ve had it by now!!  It comes with a warning label not to put it in your body!  So don’t get any weird ideas!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0C4FBM6GV?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #122 - 12/20/23 at 03:54:01

1-1/4 inch SAE works also but is slightly loose.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #123 - 12/20/23 at 05:13:10

It will be a 32mm for me on this metric cruiser!  The only SAE tool that gets close to my metric bikes is a 1/4” and 3/8” ratchet, and occasionally a 1/2” on axle nuts.

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #124 - 12/20/23 at 07:21:01

Hey thumper I was able to pick up the cyclepedia manual on Amazon for free with my student prime membership.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SQ2HMWS/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title?ref=d6k_ap...

It's digital only and the digital navigation isn't the best but the manual itself is I think an excellent companion to the clymer and walks through the clutch step by step along with other stuff. Wish I picked this up a while ago actually...

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #125 - 12/20/23 at 12:15:51

Hey Philly!  Cool.  Thanks!  I had the paper version but I gave it away when I sold my last S40.  Wish I kept it.  This is more resources. Yay!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #126 - 12/20/23 at 12:22:37

Mike, I was able to find a 32mm socket in 12 point.  Hope that’s ok.  Would have preferred 6 point.

For the washers, I found some 3/8” and 5/16”.  I guess I’ll figure out which fits or use both.  How tight do I need to get those bolts with the washers holding down the springs temporarily and pack together?

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #127 - 12/20/23 at 13:31:04

The 12-point socket is fine.  The max torque on the hub nut is only 50 ft-lbs.  The 12-point will handle that with ease.

The small 6mm bolts for the clutch springs only need to be tightened enough to hold the clutch pack together.  As you turn the bolts clockwise, they will start to compress the springs, so the springs actually do the work.  Sometimes I find it helpful to adjust the spring force on the low side so I can just move the fiber plates.  That's helpful when you are trying to insert the clutch pack into the basket.  You can make minor adjustments to align the tangs with the slots in the basket.

Hey Philly, can that on-line manual be downloaded to a PC, or is it strictly for a Kindle?  BTW, what's the best, Pat's or Gino's?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #128 - 12/20/23 at 14:24:08

My vote is Pat’s between those two.  I lived in Philly for about 15 months so my vote kinda counts!  I will eat either one though!  Plus a whole lot of other places in the burbs!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #129 - 12/20/23 at 15:17:29

How do I bend back the lock tab washer?  Screwdriver?  I'm getting freaked out now.  

When I removed the 4 clutch nuts on the release plate assembly and the clutch pack relaxed, I got scared.  Also, there were no washers on the bolts.  Clymer mentions washers.  Should there be washers?  I'll look at a parts diagram.

When I was loosening the nuts, the gears moved a little bit (like a 1/4") before I decided to hold the clutch pack and remove the nuts.  Is that ok?  The "oiler gear" on the bottom is NOT spinning freely (good).  Its captured and grabbing its partner gear.  The video from Philly was helpful with that tip.  (that guy was fun to listen to).

Honestly, I'm ready to stop where I am at and just put the Barnett springs in there and be done here!  Bath it with some fresh Rotella.  I just don't think I can get this done.  Then use the clumsy way to work around the rear cam chain guide when I get to pulling the head.

Clutch_Hub_Nut.jpeg
  IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #130 - 12/20/23 at 16:49:35

Pats is a better sandwich, genos has better acutrmons, or used to before they stopped leaving the fixins out. The owner is obsessed with "criminals" stealing the free peppers. Whatever.

These are just tourist traps though.

The two best spots are Steve's prince of steaks in the north east or SQ Phil's in South west. Steve's for an honest, genuine philly steak with all the original toppings out for you to use, the real way -- or Phil's for a real.... Neighborhood experience. Milage may vary. The sauce is HOT by the way, like it was intended to be.

A lot of false natives will say delassandro's. Don't bother, you can get the same exact steak at any corner store. If you're at delassandro's, immediately leave and go across the street to chubb's. It's not that chubb's is good, but at least you aren't embarrassing yourself at delassandro's. Anyway they both suck, don't believe the hype.

Honorable mention to little known spot little Sicily II in South Philly off Columbus and tasker -- it's actually an Indian place but you wouldn't know based on the name. They sell a Indian spiced steak that is a real if you know thing.

Also there was a Muslim jawn on broad near the divine Loraine that sold a lamb steak with taziki sauce, and that was dope. Can't remember the name, think it closed.

Anyway, not to derail the thread but, you asked and you heard it here first this is the first last and second about philly steaks.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #131 - 12/20/23 at 17:18:24

Now I want a Philly Cheesesteak with Wiz!  LOL.  The closest thing we have to a good place in Houston is Charleys.

When in Philly, I was actually in Blue Bell.  There was a hole in the wall place, Pudges.  It was close to my townhome and I ate there once a week at least!  Really good.

Hijacking this post to talk about Cheesesteaks is good with me!  I actually appreciate the diversion!

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #132 - 12/20/23 at 17:30:25

The washers are just put on so that tension is on the springs so you can bull the pack out of the basket as one full unit, instead of pulling just the pressure plate out and then each disk individually. The washers shouldn't be there on reassembly, they are just a "trick" to have a tidy approach to the replacement.

If you didn't put the washers/springs on, when you go to pull the pack out of the basket it would all want to come out piece by piece, that's all.

Once you get in there and are familiar with it you'll realize how much you're overthinking things. Promise.

I used to ride through blue bell on route 73 all the time up to a farm I used to hang at. Usually avoid the interstate on my bike savage just can't keep up with soccer moms on 476 driving 85+ in 5 tom Subarus...

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #133 - 12/20/23 at 18:08:15

Jeeeez!  Look what I started.  Now I'm hungry.  I love them greasy things.  Give em to me simple; onions, bell peppers, cheese and plenty grease.  The rolls make the sandwich.  I went to Monsignor Bonner (66 grad).  Spent a year goin to A&P school on Greys Ferry Ave.  Plenty of good funky diners around there.

Paul, thanks for the link to the endoscope.  I bet it would work with an iPad.    

Philly is right about the washers.  They are just a tool to help you disassemble and reassemble the clutch pack.  I can see from your pictures that your washers are mighty big.  I suspect they will interfere with your socket when you go to loosen the nut.  You can fix that by simply filing a flat on each washer to provide clearance for the socket.  Just remove the area shown in yellow.  Do that for all four washers.  Grab the washer in a vice and file away the material.

Pauls_Clutch_Wshr_Mod.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #134 - 12/20/23 at 18:11:56

"How do I bend back the lock tab washer?  Screwdriver?"

A screwdriver will work, but I prefer a small chisel because the tip is sharp and easier to get between the tab and the nut.  I use a very small 4-ounce ballpeen, small 3/8" chisel, and small pin punch (flat tip).

Hammer_Chisel_Punch.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 28
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 15:26:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.