Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 28
Send Topic Print
R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist (Read 1534 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist
Reply #105 - 12/18/23 at 14:52:37

The first steel was black, but it was not burnt or blued and it was also right on the spec.

Steels_Black.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #106 - 12/18/23 at 14:53:20

The first steel was right on .060”.  The other four steels were also .060”.

Steels__060.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #107 - 12/18/23 at 14:54:28

So, with all the clutch plates (fiber & steel) right at the factory spec for new plates, looks like the 1.015” reference dimension I took across the clutch pack tangs is a decent reference.  Your 26.9mm (1.059”) measurement indicates that your clutch plates are not worn.  All you should have to worry about are the aluminum running surfaces on the pressure disk and clutch hub.

When you get to the last fiber plate, you will see the wave washer assembly nested in the center of the plate.

Last_Fiber_nests_Wave_Wshr.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #108 - 12/18/23 at 14:55:11

The conical wave washer looks like this.  It’s a Bellville washer (conical), which is a type of spring.

Wave_Wshr.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #109 - 12/18/23 at 14:55:48

Between the wave washer and the clutch hub aluminum running surface is the wave washer seat.  It’s just a very large flat washer.  It prevents the wave washer from digging into the soft aluminum face on the hub flange.

Wave_Wsgr_Seat.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #110 - 12/18/23 at 14:56:22

This is how the wave washer assembly should look on the clutch hub.  Not too complicated.  Put it in like this and you will be OK.  Compare this picture to the sketch, it should clear things up.  The special fiber plate, the one that is thicker and has a larger hole is situated around this wave washer assembly.

Wave_Wshr_Stack_up_close.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #111 - 12/18/23 at 14:57:16

From this point, the clutch basket just pulls off the transmission input shaft.  There are two thrust washers and a spacer associated with the clutch basket.  The smaller washer goes between the clutch hub and the basket.  That would be the washer shown here.

Smaller_Thrust_Washer_goes_here.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #112 - 12/18/23 at 14:58:13

The larger washer and spacer go on the input shaft like this.  The washer bears on the inner race of the transmission bearing.  The clutch basket just slips over the spacer.

Input_Shaft_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #113 - 12/18/23 at 14:59:11

Don’t get those thrust washers mixed up.  If you have something that looks like this, you installed the large washer in the wrong place.  The large washer goes against the input shaft bearing, and the small washer goes between the clutch basket and the clutch hub.

Larger_Thrust_Washer_will_drag_on_basket.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #114 - 12/18/23 at 15:00:22

When you go to remove the clutch basket, slip your fingers behind the basket and snag the oil pump drive gear so that you can remove the basket and gear all assembled.  That way you won’t drop the drive pin.  Once the clutch basket is off you are all ready to pull the rear chain guide out the bottom.  That will come after you get the head cover off.

Take your clutch apart.  Check everything out.  Clean it, measure the plates, visually inspect the friction material.  Double check your pushrod length by putting it all together again.  It only takes an hour or two and you will get more comfortable with the procedure.  Take more pics and post them.  BTW, nice job on the CCT circlip.  You got it off and it looks great.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #115 - 12/18/23 at 19:38:31

Thank you, Mike!  I’m going to take a day or two and try to digest all this!  I also need to expand my parts vocabulary so I can spare you some of my ignorant questions!  The photos are worth a thousand words right now!!  I want to do this clutch reconditioning, but I’ve got to get better grounded and study some more.  Thanks again, my friend!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #116 - 12/19/23 at 03:33:57

If it was my clutch (and I had DragBikeMike's photos)....I would take the cutch plates out and scrub them with something like Simple Green and them rinse and dry them.

Then I would take a flat surface and a sheet of 400 sandpaper and remove the shiny surface on the fiber discs....just enough to remove the glaze.  Then wash the fibers plates in dish washing liquid and dry.

Then oil up the fiber discs so they have a wet  surface and assemble the clutch.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #117 - 12/19/23 at 05:36:32

Thanks Dave.  I really have to say again that the clutch intimidates the hell out of me even with all Mike’s excellent photos and details.  I need to study and psych myself up for this!

I like your cleaning method.  Oldfeller’s method of soaking them in gasoline in grandma’s sealed casserole dish, buff sand, then wash in the kitchen sink with soapy water, dry off with wife’s cup towel, and then put on the clothes line to dry in the sun for 3 days - gave me a chuckle (I paraphrased his method a bit, but directionally accurate).  Clymer suggests kerosene.

I just want to pour a few ounces of fresh Rotella on the whole thing while still in the motor.  Do it a few times and catch the mess below as I go.  Good enough!  I’m anxious to get Woody out of there and fire up!  Revisit the clutch later if I have to.  I know this is half-arse, and I should do this right while I’m in there!  Especially with all the help I’m being afforded!!!  Thanks!

Maybe I can get better focused after Christmas.  I’ve had Covid 3 times and suffer from “long hauler” effects (brain fog, memory problems, overall cognitive decline, premature old man brain).  Zombie brain.  Some days are better than others.  Unfortunately, today’s not one of those days.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #118 - 12/19/23 at 08:22:30

Paul, you may be a victim over overexplanation with the clutch. As Dave suggests, simply remove the friction discs and plates one by one and clean as you go. Note the order and reassemble in the same order.

The friction plates are wear items, so if they are less than 60% of spec, replace them. If they still have good life in them you can attempt to resurface them...but I would suggest replacing them especially if the steel plates are showing any signs over over heating - at which point you need a new clutch kit. If the steel plates do not show signs over overheating you can attempt to resurface them...but you run the risk of causing more problems. Like I said...it's a wear item.

When you have the plates out, inspect the basket for grooves. Small groves can be filed smooth, big gouges require a new basket.

This is a simple disassemble-clean-inspect-reassemble process with the potential of replace before reassemble if something fails inspection.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #119 - 12/19/23 at 10:13:33

Thanks Gary in NJ!  I lived in Scotch Plains as a young kid growing up, like 55-60 years ago!  My dad's first real job out of college was in Newark.

And, you're right about me being a victim of over-explanation - but that's a good thing and I greatly appreciate Mike walking me through it!!  Cylmer supplements my intimidation as well.  It forces me to summon up my inner OCD!

If I decide to forgo scrubbing friction discs and plates (or need to replace due to wear/heat), is there an affordable good quality brand someone can recommend?  There are lots of no-name cheap option on E.bay, but I'm skeptical about quality.  I'm not impressed by EBC brake pads, so I'm hesitant to consider them for a clutch kit.

I've already purchased the beefier Barnett clutch springs (about the same price as stock), but Barnett is very proud of their other clutch components and I'm not building a 50hp hot rod!  Yet...

What size is the clutch locknut when I get to that step?  I'm assuming I would use a socket on it?  (Put the bike in 5th gear, lock up the rear brake with the adjuster.)  Is the nut 'loctited' on?  Does anybody want to give me an excuse to buy myself an air impact driver for Christmas?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 28
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 13:33:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.