Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 28
Send Topic Print
R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist (Read 1534 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Re: R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist
Reply #90 - 12/18/23 at 12:30:46

A series of photos of the cam chain tensioner.  Is this a stock tensioner or some version of a Verslavy?  

With the CCT removed and easier to measure, it appears closer to 17mm extended instead of 18mm as originally reported.

CCT_Sideview.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #91 - 12/18/23 at 12:31:37

Backside of CCT.

CCT_Backside.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #92 - 12/18/23 at 12:32:31

Bottomside of CCT.  Is this maxed out.  Riding a bit cockeyed...???

CCT_Bottomside_2.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #93 - 12/18/23 at 12:35:04

CCT 17mm measured at underside.

CCT_17mm_bottom.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #94 - 12/18/23 at 12:37:37

Another measure from the top side of the CCT at 17.1mm.  I think it's stock, but finding good detailed photos of a stock CCT are eluding me.

CCT_17_1mm_top.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #95 - 12/18/23 at 13:05:58

The c-clip all packaged up and bagged up now with the CCT.  Taped to a piece of cardboard in hopes I don't lose it or accidentally throw it away.

C-Clip_Packaged_up.jpeg
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #96 - 12/18/23 at 14:43:32

It occurred to me that maybe I should have given you a little more detail regarding the clutch and the oil pump drive.

Don’t be intimidated by the clutch.  Yes, you could get the head off with the rear guide still in place, but it’s difficult with the engine in the frame.  You have come this far, you might as well finish up.  You will learn a lot.  Make it easy on yourself; leave the “clumsy and awkward” to the more seasoned wrench turners.

Your endoscope is killer good.  The pics are very clear.  You happen to have the manufacturer and model number for that item?  Will it work with an iPad or is it strictly for an Android?  Great shot of the cam lobe, and your ports are super-clean.

You stated:

“I see no visible difference in the stock vs Sneeze cam release that would suggest a different length push rod is needed.”

The slightest variation in that release cam has a significant effect on pushrod length.  The play in the fit, the radius, depth and surface finish of the ball socket, the angle of the fit vs lever, all can affect pushrod length.  Check it now.  It’s like a ten-minute job.  If you need a longer or shorter rod better to know now so you can get it ordered.  After you get the clutch apart, you will know if you need to replace any parts.  If you need a different pushrod and you can get it ordered…..or…..you can do what I did and just order the other two sizes so you have all three on hand.

Did you try to check the play in the release cam by holding it against the stop in the clutch cover?  Is it reasonably tight or is there a lot of lost motion?

Your CCT is a stock tensioner, it’s jammed, and I think you should replace it with the gold standard Verslagen unit.  The rear guide has probably straightened out, but the Verslagy tensioner will take care of that.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #97 - 12/18/23 at 14:44:59

Let’s start with the pump drive.  By now you should have already watched SurvivingPhilly’s video, so I suspect you have a pretty good idea about the drive pin problem.  Since a screw up on this drive gear can wreck your motor, I figure I should give you a better idea of what can go wrong if you install the gear backwards.

When the oil pump drive gear is on correctly, it captures the drive pin.  You can see from this picture that the pin can’t fall out.

Gear_Correct_Pin_Captured.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #98 - 12/18/23 at 14:45:40

But if the gear is installed backwards, you can still get things back together.  However, the drive pin is not captured.  It’s gonna fall out and the drive gear will not turn with the clutch.  To make things even worse, the gear teeth will be rubbing on the engine case.  That would be very bad.  See how the pin is not captured when the gear is installed backwards.  Pay attention to how the gear goes on the clutch basket.  Don’t install it like this.

Gear_Backwards_Pin_not_Captured.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #99 - 12/18/23 at 14:46:48

I measured this eBay clutch pack before I took it apart.  You can use it as a reference to compare your measurement.  This clutch pack is 1.015”.  If all the plates are in spec, then 1.015” should be a good reference point.

Clutch_Pack_1_015.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #100 - 12/18/23 at 14:47:57

When you are working on the clutch, the temporary washers along with the springs allow you to remove the clutch pack all in one piece.  See how you have access to the clutch hub nut.  Once you remove that nut, the whole disk pack can be removed.  Also note how the outermost fiber disk is out-of-position.  Don’t be alarmed if that outermost fiber moves around, the wave washer assembly will keep the outermost fiber free until all four springs apply sufficient force to collapse the wave washer.

Outer_Fiber_moves.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #101 - 12/18/23 at 14:48:43

Once you have the disk pack out of the clutch basket, you can remove the bolts, temporary washers, and springs.  Then hold the disk pack together with your fingers and turn it over.

Grab_like_this.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #102 - 12/18/23 at 14:49:45

Lay it on the work bench like this.

Turn_Over.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #103 - 12/18/23 at 14:50:28

Then remove the pressure disk.

Remove_Pressure_Disk.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #104 - 12/18/23 at 14:51:45

The first fiber plate was .116”, right on the factory spec.  The remaining standard fiber plates were also .116”, and the special fiber plate (outermost) was .136” (the outer plate is thicker and has a larger ID to accommodate the wave washer).  All the fibers were right on the factory spec for new plates.

Fibers__116.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 28
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 15:23:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.