Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Understanding the 2007+ Wiring Diagram (Read 276 times)
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Understanding the 2007+ Wiring Diagram
12/03/23 at 23:54:19

Yo Savages,

I'm switching out my right hand controls for a simple SPDT switch and momentary button (not running the hazard lights).

While reviewing wiring diagrams and trying to design this mod, I noticed that the most late model year of the savage has different wiring for the RH switches. As you can see from this image, The starter switch receives 4 wires, as opposed to only 2 on previous model years. The switch for the start button is unchanged.

What is the deal with these other two wires??  I'm trying to figure out what the two extra wires are and what I can do with them if I want to put on this simple toggle.

The switch I'm trying to mount is this one -- trying to use the hi/low toggle as the starter switch and the horn button as the starter.

https://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/collections/motorcycle-switches/products/cycle...

Thanks guys

2007-2009_Wiring_Diagram_RH.jpg
  IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Understanding the 2007+ Wiring Diagram
Reply #1 - 12/03/23 at 23:54:48

Also here is the full diagram:

2007-2009_Wiring_Diagram_006.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 12/04/23 at 03:48:22

The later bikes turn off the headlight when the starter button is pushed.

If you just splice the y/w and O wires together your headlight will stay on when you hit the starter button......just like the earlier bikes.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 12/04/23 at 07:59:37

Interesting thanks alot vers. Wonder why they made that change.

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 12/05/23 at 21:10:02

Before I spend money on a clamp meter...

Does anyone know what the amperage running through the kill switch and start button? I'm assuming its pretty minimal but want to make sure, I'm considering some switches that have maximum capacities of between 4-6 amps.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 12/06/23 at 03:38:32

I am not Versy......I am Dave.

The power running through the starter switch just turns on the starter relay.....it has to do that in order to keep the power through the switch small.

The engine stop switch power is running through the side stand relay - so once again the power needed is small.

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 12/06/23 at 06:42:02

haha sorry dave my dyslexia is working overtime these days  Grin must be all the head injuries.

I may update this thread with the wiring mods once I get things bolted up -- the world of aftermarket switches is full of Chinese trickery and subterfuge, trying to track down some cheap, minimal and ergonomic options.

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #7 - 12/07/23 at 08:01:16

There are way less options for 1" bars.  If you go with 7/8" bars the options open up.  But that entails either a lot of changes or spacers.

WWW   IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 12/11/23 at 10:47:31

Update here --

Before mocking up, I've decided I'm removing the decomp solenoid -- I know this can be accomplished simply by pulling it at the connection.

But what about the relay? I'm assuming this relay manages power to the starter switch and therefore if it's removed, an equivalent relay would need to be installed so that the switches don't get burnt out. Is this correct? Or is it possible to just splice power from the starter relay to the clutch lever position sensor?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 12/11/23 at 17:02:26

Here is a link to the information you seek!

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1327512118/5

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 12/11/23 at 19:34:28

Dave thank you so much I couldn't find this thread before you posted it. Huge help seriously.

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 12/14/23 at 20:41:07

Regarding decompression:

Some delete the solenoid and install a manual lever, it looks like some people just don't delete the solenoid and don't do anything at all.

Is there a consensus on damage due to not using the decomp? Would this kick back if starting at TDC compression and break starter teeth?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 12/15/23 at 03:36:07

The damage to the starter teeth and engine case on the early bikes without the torque limiter does not happen during the starting process - it happens when shutting the bike down,  There have been a few times I have turned my bike off and as the engine comes to a stop it comes up against the compression - and I hear a strange sound as the piston kicks backward and the torque limiter engages and slips to relieve the force.

What happens at startup without the automatic compression release is that most times the engine will turn over just fine when you hit the starter button and fire right up (with a good battery in warm weather).  Every so often the engine stopped on the compression stroke when you last shut it down, and when you hit the starter button the starter cannot get it pushed over TDC and stalls.  When this happens you can release the starter button -then wait a brief moment and hit the starter button again (once or twice) - and it will go past TDC and start normally.

I have a manual compression release and most times I don't need to use it - and I have a Wiseco 95mm with 9.2:1 compression (stock is 8.5:1).  When it really does come in handy is if you happen to stall the bike in traffic and need to restart the bike immediately without any delay - then a handlebar mounted compression release is very convenient!

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 12/18/23 at 22:42:12

Taking a look at the headlight wiring -- the left front turn signal appears to have two grounds -- one ground, the white/black and then another solid black that looks like it connects to ground.

What gives?

PXL_20231219_060016836.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 12/19/23 at 03:29:54

For Suzuki black is not always ground.  The solid black wire is the turn signal.  The black with the white is the ground.  The grey is the running light.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 16:08:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Understanding the 2007+ Wiring Diagram

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.