Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Transient Enrichment Valve (TEV) (Read 353 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Transient Enrichment Valve (TEV)
04/15/18 at 12:34:45

I did an evaluation and modification of the TEV and I wanted to share the results with the forum.

The TEV provides more fuel when manifold vacuum is high, like when you chop the throttle to decelerate.  Under a high vacuum condition, our particular motorcycles have a tendency to backfire.  I'm sure everyone here is familiar with that little problem.  Adding more fuel during the high vacuum condition helps to eliminate or mitigate the backfire condition.  The TEV accomplishes this by closing off the #230 pilot airbleed jet located in the dome of the carburetor, just under the diaphragm.

During normal idling, cruising and acceleration conditions, the pilot and transition circuits receive air through two jets, the #230 pilot air bleed and the #45 air bleed.  Both are located in the dome of the carburetor.  Under high vacuum (deceleration) the TEV closes off the #230 pilot air bleed and the only air the low speed circuit receives is through the #45 air bleed.  This #45 air bleed is extremely small (only about .016").  I noticed that on older models there was only one pilot air bleed in the dome 9/2/22 error, my bad, there’s actually a 2.0 mm drilled passage, essentially a fixed orifice, so it had a #70 and the equivalent of a #200 (a #70) but those models still utilized a TEV.  So I got to thinking that in the old days they probably just shut off the pilot bleed air entirely.  I decided to try something like that on mine.  But need data to get things rolling so I hooked up a vacuum gage and snubber system to see what sort of numbers we are looking at.  

Here is a picture of the totally sanitary and professional installation of my vacuum gage.  BTW, any of you old timers remember Montgomery Ward?

« Last Edit: 09/02/22 at 19:33:49 by DragBikeMike »  

IMG_01631.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Transient Enrichment Valve (TEV)
Reply #1 - 04/15/18 at 12:36:26

Here is a shot of the sophisticated snubber assembly I installed to smooth out gage oscillation.

IMG_01621.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 04/15/18 at 12:49:38

I always try to get some good data before I make any changes, so I wanted to see exactly what sort ov vacuum this big single generated under various conditions.  I knew that vacuum would be high at idle, very high under hard deceleration, moderate at cruise, low under acceleration, and very low under WOT.  Here are the test numbers:

Idle: 6.5"Hg
Blipping throttle in neutral: 3" to 8"Hg
Moderate acceleration on surface streets: 3"Hg
Cruise on surface streets: 5"Hg
Moderate acceleration on the freeway: 2"Hg
Cruise on freeway: 4"Hg
WOT: 0.5 to 1.0"Hg (Petcock opens at 1.25"Hg.  Topic for another post)
Normal deceleration: 10"Hg
Hard deceleration: 15"Hg

Now that we know what sort of vacuum numbers we are dealing with, let's take a look at the TEV components and figure out exactly what sort of behavior we can expect based on its dimensions.

Here is a picture of the components that make up the valve assembly:

IMG_00461.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 04/15/18 at 13:36:24

To determine expected behavior we need to know diaphragm effective diameter, spring rate, spring force with valve parked (open), spring force with valve shuttled full right (closed).

Diaphragm effective diameter: 15/16"
Spring rate: 39 oz./inch
Spring force valve parked (open): 38.5 oz. (2.41 lbs.)
Spring force valve shuttled full right (closed): 43.0 oz (2.69 lbs)

Using these numbers I calculated how many inches of mercury vacuum would result in the TEV valve just starting to move and then reaching the closed position.

The TEV should start to move at about 7.1"Hg and reach the full closed position about 7.9"Hg.

Here is a picture of the spring test.

IMG_01661.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 04/15/18 at 14:11:46

Very educational reading.  And heck yeah I 'member "Monkey Wards"!
Anyone remember White Front?
Or these, not sure if they were nationwide be we had 'em in San Diego:
FedMart
Alpha Beta (groceries)
Two Guys
Walker Scott
Pic 'n Save

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 04/15/18 at 14:20:10

We can close the TEV at a lower vacuum by shortening the spring.  Every 1/8" we remove from the spring free length should decrease the amount of vacuum required to close the TEV by about 0.9"Hg.  But if we remove too much, the TEV may close during engine operation at idle or even cruise, which would make the mixture overly rich for the condition.  I did not choose to shorten the spring, but if you do, I would not shorten by more than 1/16", which would start the valve moving around 6.7"Hg and shuttle the valve fully closed about 7.0"   7.5" Hg (see correction in later post, reply #7).  Remember, engine idle vacuum is 6.5"Hg.

The other approach is to try and reduce the size of the #45 air bleed, or possibly close it off all together.  I found that a main jet from an old Harley DynoJet kit fit perfectly in the #45 air bleed position.  I wanted to see how the engine would run with that particular air bleed closed off so I filled the Harley DynoJet with epoxy and installed it.

Here is a picture of the blocked off jet.

« Last Edit: 09/02/22 at 19:37:24 by DragBikeMike »  

IMG_01581.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 04/15/18 at 14:49:22

In the picture of the blocked off jet I am using an old needle jet from some other Mikuni carb as a holder for the jet so I can file out the groove for the screw driver.  In actuality, the DynoJet looks pretty much exactly like the stock Mikuni #45 air bleed, except the jet hole was very large.  It was a perfect replacement.  Now, with the jet hole completely blocked off, the pilot and transition circuits will get ZERO bleed air under high vacuum conditions.

How did it work?  Great!  The engine performance remained the same.  Easy start up, good idle, great throttle response, good roll on power, good cruising power, no surging, no afterfire or backfiring while riding the bike under any conditions.  There was some very mild afterfire when blipping the throttle in neutral.  The test data I took with the vacuum gage explains that.  I will elaborate.

When blipping the throttle in neutral, the vacuum ranged from 3" to 8"Hg.  There isn't much force decelerating the engine, not like you would experience say coasting down a steep hill or downshifting to use engine breaking.  You have to really blip it hard even to get the 8"Hg.  So you don't really achieve a sufficient amount of vacuum to overcome the TEV spring force and shuttle the spool valve closed.  It doesn't close fully until you reach about 7.9"Hg.

If afterfire drives you nuts when blipping the throttle, you may want to shorten the TEV spring a bit.  Be prudent, don't take a lot off.  If you do, let everyone know how much you take off and how well it works.

In closing, my bike did not have much of an afterfire issue prior to fiddling around with the TEV.  The mods that I described in a prior post (see stock carb slide mods) pretty much had all the issues with this carb taken care of.  It wasn't a good test bed to determine correction of an afterfire issue because it didn't have that problem.  But the blocked jet mod shows that it can be done with no adverse effect on performance, and I'm certain it will mitigate afterfire.  I also learned a lot about the vacuum characteristics on this engine and was able to acquire good data to share with everyone.

You should be able to dramatically improve afterfire problems by reducing the size of, or completely plugging, the #45 air bleed.  If you want to take it a step further, you can shorten the TEV spring a bit.  Batman mentioned in a prior post that he shortened his spring in one-third coil increments, and also commented that if you go too far you can get back some spring pressure by filling in with a washer under the spring.

Hope this post is useful.  If you try it, let us all know how it goes.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 04/15/18 at 20:10:59

DragBikeMike wrote: "I would not shorten by more than 1/16", which would start the valve moving around 6.7"Hg and shuttle the valve fully closed about 7.0"Hg."  

Oooooops!  That's a typo.  Should read   "I would not shorten by more than 1/16", which would start the valve moving around 6.7"Hg and shuttle the valve fully closed about 7.5"Hg.

Sorry for the mixup.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 04/16/18 at 03:51:24

DragBikeMike wrote on 04/15/18 at 20:10:59:
DragBikeMike wrote: "I would not shorten by more than 1/16", which would start the valve moving around 6.7"Hg and shuttle the valve fully closed about 7.0"Hg."  

Oooooops!  That's a typo.  Should read   "I would not shorten by more than 1/16", which would start the valve moving around 6.7"Hg and shuttle the valve fully closed about 7.5"Hg.

Sorry for the mixup.

You can go back and fix that typo, and make the thread read correctly.  Once the discussion is over and folks post their results, this thread can be cleaned up and should be posted in the TECH SECTION (I will do that when the time comes).

DragBikeMike wrote on 04/15/18 at 14:49:22:
If afterfire drives you nuts when blipping the throttle, you may want to shorten the TEV spring a bit.

I really don't see much of a reason to "blip" the throttle on a Savage.  The engine has big heavy flywheels, a heavy crank, a heavy rotor....there is a lot of momentum in the engine.  Blipping the throttle quickly places the engine in a situation where the fuel/air mixture just isn't good as the engine is slowing down - and there is also a slightly lean condition that occurs in the instant you crack the throttle open.

The Savage engine would prefer that you "roll" on the throttle a bit slower.  Blipping the throttle and making a lot of noise may feel "bad ass", however a good running engine really doesn't need (or like) to be blipped.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #9 - 04/17/18 at 00:07:19

My post on the TEV was intended to benefit all the members of the forum.  While I personally am not a big fan of blipping, I'm pretty sure there are some folks on the forum that actually enjoy blipping the throttle on their Savage.  Since I determined that the plugged #45 seemed to completely eliminate afterfire under all conditions with the exception of blipping, I figured I should let the blippers know that they too could take advantage of a mod that possibly would snuff out their blipping afterfire woes.  I aim to please, so I shared what I thought was a possible cure to the blip-pop phenomenon.  After all, what could be more obnoxious to the average, peace loving citizen than some geek on a savage blipping & popping at the red light.  It's gotta be at least 50% better if the pop is gone.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 05/13/19 at 17:06:08

DBM , Wow   , some how I missed this post,  and as usual you've  done a much better job of research . WELL DONE!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #11 - 05/15/19 at 13:14:24

Very cool gauge, I have a real old “Sun”
Pay attention guys DBM is real smart and a progressive thinker
We all should be thankful that he is a member here and shares all his info !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 06/25/19 at 19:17:41

I just did this, I wound up filling my existing 45 jet with solder. I'll post the results but I had very little backfiring to begin with. Only once every so often on upshifts and sometimes a small poof at shutdown. I'm running a 155 main 55 pilot, air screw 1.5 turns out on a RYCA setup.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #13 - 08/31/22 at 06:00:56

Excellent research, analysis, and write-up!  It does raise a few questions though.  

1) Any hunch why the engineers went from a single #70 air bleed to a #230 and a #45?  If blocking off the #45 only improved things without hindering performance otherwise - why was the carb redesigned?  (Trying to lean it out more for EPA, improve fuel economy, reduce emissions??)

2) When you say shorten the TEV spring - does this mean snipping off a tiny bit (1/16”) of the existing spring?  The springs are “double wound” at each end.  Seems that snipping off one of the double wound ends of the spring would “dramatically” alter the mechanical characteristics of the spring??  (Perhaps this is why DBM opted not to snip the spring??).

Thanks in advance.  I realize this is an older post and I’m late to the party.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 08/31/22 at 06:48:33

The drill press and scale spring test setup, obviously also very professional, is seriously clever problem solving. If I still had any, I'd award you a Gold Star.
You have an interesting collection of Stuff to fashion necessary solutions to problems. What you're calling a snubbed is that needle valve that you can adjust to very limited flow rates so a prolonged high vacuum will get to the gauge but short spikes will be attenuated?
I've been around since 05and seen the various skills of the people here. I'm really surprised at the widely varied experiences and skills I have seen. If a dealership would have a mechanic check this place out they could learn a lot. Right Now we have several relatively new guys who have some real problem solving skills. And then the Old guys who know what to do to get the carb jetted,how to feel for a little drop off on acceleration and how to interpret what it is doing and what to do to fix it. The Tev has been difficult for people. Well, for me. I'm more willing to just accept a bike that has a bit of performance and good manners left on the table.
If you're one of today's shining stars and I didn't mention you, mehh, we all know who you are. You guys should have been here when Hutch was pioneering the swap to chain.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 13:54:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Transient Enrichment Valve (TEV)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.