springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Re: 2024 Rides
Reply #465 - 04/25/24 at 14:04:04

Grin Grin Grin

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #466 - 04/25/24 at 19:58:12

You know that getting those jackets means that you are only a half step away from being a BMW owner/rider.  

Yes , I didn't get the matching pants , so I might be spared ?  Grin  

Actually , keeping warm and dry is my main idea.  Huh   So , I already have Black rain/foul gear pants ... 4 or 5 pair ?

The rest of that story :

Marcia and I were in Helen Ga. 10 years ago on a Rainy day .
There was a guy and gal touring through and stopped for lunch at the same place we were catching a bite , ... so I asked about their rain gear.  
Well , they were wearing klim ...  https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/klim-forecast-pants   ...

And they left an impression on me .    It was a day that my rain gear might have been lacking a little , but we were in the car that day.

Since then I've learned : that - to stay dry it takes two layers ... one to keep the wet out and a second layer to keep the dry in !   Wink
Even then there might be a few wet spots mixing things up a little , usually in just the wrong places too   Embarrassed  Grin

Marcia's is just a shade darker gray than Deb's.   I've been trying to get her in some nice ridding gear for years now , and I finally did !   Smiley
Marcia remembered how sharp those Klim outfits looked too !
But
It's a guaranteed for sure thing , that Marcia might get caught in the rain but she won't be leaving the dry motel in the rain.
BMW , WMB , Moto-Guzzi-MB , Royal-Enfield , or Honda  ain't going to matter !  Grin Grin Grin

Wait a minute Lancer , You know your not too far away from being a "Distinguished  Gentleman" in your own right !   Wink
Not everybody rides a BSA from days gone past !   Smiley Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #467 - 04/25/24 at 20:18:04

Some BMW owners aren't so bad! Cool

We are at a Cracker Barrel parking lot again tonight - this one is in Mount Vernon, IL - a few miles east of St. Louis.

It was an interesting travel day.  On the way down to Texas we encountered strong headwinds - I was expecting them to help me going the other direction....I was not so lucky.  At first we had a wind that was coming from the south helping us along - but as we gradually started working our way east the wind started blowing west!  It was weird as there as a line of thunderstorms going east - but the wind was coming away from the thunderstorm!  After about 2 hours of driving east against the headwind we had caught up to the west edge of the storm.  Low areas were flooded and creeks and ditches were full - it must have been a hard storm.  As we drove east the sprinkles turned into a steady rain,  There were several bad accidents on the highway - one was in the westbound lanes and involved 2 badly damaged semi trucks and had the entire westbound traffic shut down and back up for 10-15 miles!

After a couple hours of driving in the rain we broke out to dry roads on the east side of the storm - I don't believe I have ever driven from one side of a storm to the other side before!  There is a good chance the storm will catch up to us by morning.

As we passed an exit on the highway for Branson, Missouri - I realized that we were only 2 hours away from Jasper, Arkansas, and we had a camper and a motorcycle.....we had everything we needed and could have an Arkansas motorcycle vacation!

It was a long travel day, and we covered 668 miles in the 11 hours of being on the road.  I only made quick stops for gas and hopped back in and started driving.  The rain had slowed the traffic speed down considerably - and my normal 60mph driving speed blended in well with what the other folks were doing.   Texas highway speed limits of 75 & 80 are gone, and the speeds are now down to  55 or 60mph in the cities and 70 once you are outside the city limits.  I don't believe we have 75mph speed limits in this part of the country?

We have 290 miles to go on Friday - we should be home in the afternoon.      

(Hopefully this Cracker Barrell already had their used cooking oil container cleaned out and the trash picked up - and we won't need to experience that early in the morning).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #468 - 04/26/24 at 21:05:04

Yes , some of those BMW folks are Really Good People !   Smiley
Right up there with those "Distinguished  Gentleman" types !   Grin

Say Hi to Lilly for me  !   Wink    

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #469 - 04/27/24 at 05:00:02

We made it home yesterday about 3PM, and the feeble remnants of the storm that we had been dealing with since Oklahoma passed through a few hours later - no rain just some wind and clouds.

The trip home was 1,439 miles and took 25-1/2 hours of driving time.  We were gone from home for 16 days, drove 2,918 miles in the RV and consumed 294 gallons of gasoline.

It was a great trip as usual - thanks to Youzguyz for riding us around and putting up with our quirks!

Here is a photo that shows the road north out of Comstock - it was like this for 40 miles - then the next road was a bit better.  We did not get on a highway for at least 100 miles that first day of driving.

RoadHome.jpg

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #470 - 04/27/24 at 05:36:30

Glad you made it home sweet home safely.  Don’t be dissing our chip asphalt roads in the desert leading to nowhere!

I thoroughly enjoyed my time in the Hlll Country, the great company, and a special thanks to Youzguyz for his hospitality and leading our motley crew around!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #471 - 04/27/24 at 07:04:49

ThumperPaul wrote on 04/27/24 at 05:36:30:
 Don’t be dissing our chip asphalt roads in the desert leading to nowhere!

The roads were great in Texas, and it is surprising that so many are chip asphalt - Kentucky stopped using that technology 30 years ago.  With our harsh winters and snow/ice asphalt holds up better.  A significant portion of my professional career was spent on road repair - I really wanted to see the chip process that is used in Texas.  I saw big piles of aggregate (chips) along the roads and semi trucks dumping into the piles for pending projects - some aggregate was gray, some brown and some was black.  The best roads we encountered were in Indiana - the worst were in Kentucky.

The rural roads out of Comstock drove fine - they were just not a road that you could drive an RV on quickly, and the first 40 miles were often driven around 40 mph.  I was also amazed by the remoteness, the lack of any kind of store or gas station, and the harshness of the land.  The amount of exposed rock was overwhelming to a guy that needs to mow his lawn every 5 days this time of year (our grass is a foot tall after being gone for 16 days).

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #472 - 04/27/24 at 08:09:26

Dave wrote on 04/27/24 at 07:04:49:
ThumperPaul wrote on 04/27/24 at 05:36:30:
 Don’t be dissing our chip asphalt roads in the desert leading to nowhere!

The roads were great in Texas, and it is surprising that so many are chip asphalt - Kentucky stopped using that technology 30 years ago.  With our harsh winters and snow/ice asphalt holds up better.  A significant portion of my professional career was spent on road repair - I really wanted to see the chip process that is used in Texas.  I saw big piles of aggregate (chips) along the roads and semi trucks dumping into the piles for pending projects - some aggregate was gray, some brown and some was black.  The best roads we encountered were in Indiana - the worst were in Kentucky.

You should have said something on Tuesday when I was trying to use back roads out of Johnson City (Miller Creek Loop).  We were stopped by a construction guy that said they just finished putting down fresh oil and chip seal on that road.  You could see the broom truck sweeping excess chips (and a clould of dust) off the road.  
He said they just finished "repaving".  I told him chip seal was NOT paving!!!  He laughed!
So, we could have gone down that road and you would have had first hand experience of seeing fresh chip seal...    Shocked

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #473 - 04/27/24 at 08:32:40

Haha.  The people in podunk East Texas would argue with you that chip seal is indeed paved road!  They’re used to red dirt roads being top of the line!  You’re living in high cotton if you’ve got chip asphalt to roll on!

You’ll usually notice that the aggregate is locally sourced and matches the terrain.  Near the coast, it will be virtually white with all the seashells used.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #474 - 04/27/24 at 10:10:37

I was on the island of Guam some years back, and most of the civilian roads were paved with sea shells.  It made a fairly durable and smooth surface, but when wet it was almost like being on ice, it was very slick.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #475 - 04/28/24 at 04:07:57

Youzguyz:

I was not so curios about chip seal that I wanted to ride a clean motorcycle through it!  You did the right thing by "NOT" going down that road!

Here is a photo from our hike into Seminole Canyon.

SeminoleCanyon.jpg

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #476 - 04/30/24 at 07:55:42

In honor of our forum member "Stewmills" who has an ongoing love affair with Little Debbie - we had an Oatmeal Creme Pie event at the Centerpoint Cemetery.

LittleDebbie.jpg

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #477 - 04/30/24 at 19:04:15

Now don't be jealous Stew , but I might have a Sweet spot for her too !   Smiley

When she met my lips I tasted a touch of Heaven ... Ya might say ?  Wink

stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #478 - 05/01/24 at 09:38:09

Well, I'll have you know that these candles are in my office! And yes, they really smell like the real thing. Ask Dave, he has the Oatmeal one!

When she met my lips I tasted a touch of Heaven
MM, you are on point with them being heavenly, but if I didn't know the context I would think you were writing about an 'adult' scene in a romance novel  Grin Grin Grin

candles.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #479 - 05/02/24 at 04:23:59

Yep.....makes me want a snack every time I light it!

IMG_3371.JPG

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 06:44:19

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2024 Rides

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.