Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Buying and Selling / Playing and Ridding (Read 292 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Buying and Selling / Playing and Ridding
Reply #15 - 06/07/23 at 21:05:39

On vintage bikes :

Back when I had the second sportster , I went to a CMA meeting and there was a feller there on an old BSA 650 (1965 ??) it was fully restored looking and nice to look at .   We were going the same way home after the meeting so we rode along together for about 1/2 way when he motioned to pull over.
He had been listening to the Sportster and wanted to ride it , so we traded bikes the last 25 miles to his house.

First thing ... the shifter was on the wrong side !   Roll Eyes
and the brake was too !

I only got them mixed up one time with a down shift instead of a rear brake.  
The power level remined me of the old CB350 twin I had years ago , but the vibration reminded me of a China 200cc Roketa I got rid of as soon as possible.
Them old machines might have been "GREAT !" in their day , but compared to what we have now ... they are not so great anymore.

In 1974 I was ridding my fairly new Yamaha SX650 to my duty station in TX , but had gone by way of Florida to meet some friends.   Between Florida and South TX I rode along side a feller on a Triumph 650 Tiger. (single carb-twin) .   That bike used 1/3rd less fuel than my Yamaha and could pull away from my SX650 in high gear any time he wanted too.  No the SX wasn't in need of anything ... it ran great - the Tiger was just better.   Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 06/08/23 at 09:15:37

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #17 - 06/08/23 at 09:46:03

RE: BSA Victor. I had one in the late '80's. It was my intro into the fun of big singles.

Yes, it vibrated. I could sit at a stoplight and watch the fork tubes and front wheel bounce.

The best compliment I got was while sitting at a stoplight. A guy on a Sportster pulled up beside me, looked over for a couple of seconds, and then gave the the thumbs-up.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #18 - 06/08/23 at 10:34:10

Ruttly:

Last week there was a very nice ‘61 Norton Atlas 750, ~12-15,000 mi., priced around $6-7,000.  Looked almost new; ready to ride.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #19 - 06/08/23 at 12:42:21

A 61 Norton is not equipped with a happy button. Still a worthy addition !

I had a 441 too , with k70s , that bike went anywhere , sold it for $900  

It s always BSA week at my house

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #20 - 06/14/23 at 15:00:29

I've developed a liking for the little Honda singles. Beginning to get a few around here.
79 CT90, 64 CT200 (old Trail 90) These two are runners.
The 64 was seized when I got it but is happily bounding down the trails now.
Then I picked up a 1981 Honda Passport 70. (no motor)
& an early 60's c100. The c100 is a little 50cc motorcycle. It's seized as well, & the kicker is broken off.

I think, though, that I've got it free but there is a bent valve or something keeping it from rolling all the way over. it'll roll back & forth now but not completely through a full rotation.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 07/06/23 at 02:19:25

Price looks nice.....not sure how wonderful this bike model is.

It does meet MM's criteria for being air cooled....it does appear to have 2 carbs.

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/d/batavia-2014-triumph-bonneville-865/7...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #22 - 07/06/23 at 10:08:51

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/triu/triumph_bonneville_t100%2014.htm

air cooled , dual throttle bodies .   Nice looking machine !   I'll check the fuel millage next .

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #23 - 07/06/23 at 10:39:00

There you go , that’s a great choice , even more important it’s already at the dealer. Test rip , I mean ride Roll Eyes

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #24 - 07/06/23 at 17:58:30

Just another 45 mpg motorcycle .

https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/triumph/bonneville_t100/2014

This is a little more like it !

https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/royal_enfield/interceptor/2019

Both are air/oil cooled , but one of the manufactures seems to actually care about mpg.

There is a big gap between 45 mpg and 60 mpg.   Yes the Triumph has more HP  but either one has more than enough.  Its been my experience that 31HP is enough anyway.   Just ask one of the Savage guys !  Huh

I'm still wanting to give the Super Meteor a try-out ... when it gets here ?
But
Years ago when I was looking at the Sportster for the first time , I might have got a Triumph 790 , but the Sportster had the belt drive so I went with it.    
Since then , I've learned that the modern chains are a better breed than the older chains.

The 790 motor was carbureted then the 865 was the injected version of the same bike.  Then came the 900 liquid cooled versions.  
I figured the 865's were the best of the breed , but the Triumph's seem to be programed for "MAX-POWER" , instead of everyday communing.   We are talking about cheep transportation here ... I think ???    Smiley

« Last Edit: 07/07/23 at 08:00:20 by MMRanch »  

Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #25 - 07/08/23 at 09:36:58

Honda Super Cub 125 , 168 mpg , ok , 150 mpg at WFO  Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #26 - 07/08/23 at 09:46:29

Seems like all the 2019 R/Es got the best mileage, might be a old report.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #27 - 07/08/23 at 11:19:34

Heading into retirement you have opened my eyes to mpg for my next bike so I can ride for cheap. The tracker is my hot rod , mpg unknown , can’t be good that’s for sure. I’ll be buying a new bike and later an electric bicycle. Plan to be on 2 wheels for many more years. There are many retro styled  bikes to choose from. As much as I hate cookie cutter bikes , help me blend in a bit. Tracker draws attention wherever I go  , I guess I should embrace it instead of being antisocial towards like minded folks. I simply want to ride. I find I have to ride responsibly when riding with others. I prefer only one other to ride with , then I can relax a bit. Preferably riding with other thumpers is super fun then my heart opens to all , I dream about a ride with nothing but thumpers. Only place I know of to find willing participants would be an Alice’s Restaurant at 4 Corners on a Sunday morning. At 4 corners on a Sunday morning you will see some very cool/vintage bikes by the dozens , might even meet someone famous . It’s like a rolling outdoor museum. Every garage hidden wonder comes from 100 miles around to ride here and hangout for a bit. You name it you might just see one here , bout 100 miles or so from here. Tracker needs to be seen there , definitely ! There is also the Breakfast Run on Sundays too  , north of Golden Gate a very scenic ride when not fogged in. Riding across the Golden Gate is a crazy cool experience.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #28 - 07/08/23 at 14:22:56

In the late ‘50’s or early ‘60’s my mother and I were driving across the Golden Gate Bridge, it was during a storm, the bridge was swinging a lot as we crossed and they closed the bridge just after we made it across.  It was a wild ride.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #29 - 07/09/23 at 12:06:38

Lancer , did you grow up around here ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print