Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Browsers and AI PCs
01/17/24 at 18:31:39

There has been a functional shift in browsers that are Chromium based at their lowest levels.   Google has decided to monitize their open source platforms with "upgrades" some of which are not voluntary.   Google intends to rid the world of add-blockers or to run off the people who belive in being add free.

If you use MS products to browse with, you got no choice in this matter,   MickeySoft will put you right to the current MS standards or shut you down or run you off completely in the Win11-Win12 changeover.

Those who use open source (Linux Mint 12.5 and up) will be affected too.

Chrome Browser and Firefox are no longer "user safe".   I have been "force rolled" over to Brave browser in my search for something that is inherently free but still keeps my web pages free of having banner ads all over the place.

Proof of the pudding is to crank up YouTube and TO NOT GET INSTA-BANNED BY GOOGLE FOR USING ADBLOCKERS !!!

« Last Edit: 03/28/24 at 13:56:40 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Re: Browsers
Reply #1 - 01/17/24 at 20:59:49

I use an ad blocking hosts file along with adblock and almost never see an ad. If an ad manages to sneak through I just add the domain to the hosts file and redirect it to 0.0.0.0 and that stops any ads from that domain. For the sites that insert ads in popup windows, right click the window and select "block element" in adblock to get rid of it.

Or if you are more of a tech nerd, set up another pc and run it as a proxy server. The ads will go the the proxy server and are stopped right there. Any of your devices that use that proxy to connect to the web will not see the ads then.

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #2 - 01/18/24 at 23:45:54

I've been using linux Mint for 20 years. 2 days ago I upgraded to the latest version without having to download, burn and install. Really cool! Firefox may not be the best, but it's the least worst.
The one constant in all versions is 'screen freeze' which means a hard reboot. My tower is 10 years old, likely need a new one!
Cheers!  Cool
ps: I switched to linux when Gates started charging $100 for Windows. Call me cheap!

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #3 - 01/20/24 at 12:46:10

I wouldn't say that you are cheap. More like smart.  Smiley
I started messing with alternative operating systems back in the Windows 3.1 days because I was tired of the crashes. OS/2 had promise but was killed because of Win95. I dabbled with various Linux flavors then but Linux hadn't developed enough at that time. By around 2000 it was ready for primetime and I went Linux only on all of my pc's then.

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #4 - 01/20/24 at 14:39:25

Fast: had mint 21.2 installed from dvd for only 2 weeks, got a notice offering 21.3 directly from mint upgrade, went smooth as butter, works much better. How cool was that? Too cool!
Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #5 - 01/20/24 at 14:59:45

I stick with Firefox because after a bunch of years, I'm just used to it and comfortable with it. It's about the only popular open source browser left. I try to stay away from all the Google/Chrome/Chromium stuff I can, because I just don't like the company. I use Firefox on both linux and Windows computers.

RE: Linux Mint. I like it a lot. Use it myself and on family computers that I "get" to support. I think it's Cinnamon desktop has the best easy, graphical integration of app/os upgrading, setup and management. It is not the coolest looking interface, but it works very well. I also like Pop OS and MX Linux.

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #6 - 01/20/24 at 16:56:00

zipidachimp, did you ever try a distro called LibraNet? That was a Debian based distro in the early 2000's that was nice. That one was my favorite while it lasted. It was a father/son team making that one and when the father developed serious health issues the son was unable to keep up development and it went the way of the dodo.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/20/24 at 19:58:42

At a minimum I think, given the cost of developing browsers that are consistently reliable, they could offer an internet ad-blocker for a price.

Yes that's right, a subscription fee.  If I choose to use a companies product and they sell ads to make money, I should pay them to offer me an ad-free experience.  Instead of trying to circumvent how they provide their service to me.

This is why it's good to share alternative browser options.  So we aren't fighting legitimate business models telling them how they should run their companies, and instead use the Capitalist method of choosing a competitor.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 01/20/24 at 23:00:47

I think the rub right now is that Google Chromium underlays most browsers, and now Google really wants to sell pop up ads on your hardware or make you pay Google a premium (YouTube Premium to be exact) to not have a bunch of stuff all over on your screens.

FireFox was good for years and years until just recently when Google showed their arse all over the place and we saw Firefox going through "correction cycle" after "correction cycle" " to fix Google's BS tactics.

Thus the use of Brave Browser.   It doesn't depend on anything from Google.  so it is "add resistant" by its underlying nature.

Brave has a different look and feel to it.   You will have to rebuild your tool marks from scratch in a lot of cases .....    Firefox may catch a clue to the wise or somebody might swing the regulatory stick at Google's knees and wake them up a bit.

==================================================

Where does it stop?  EU Politicians hitting Google in the knees with the regulatory stick I suspect.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #9 - 01/20/24 at 23:13:25

Fast: I'm really not a geek or a nerd. A PC to me is the same as a hammer, the right tool for the job, plus I really am cheap, and not a team player.
At work, everyone was using Lotus 123, I was using Quattro Pro, even for word processing (remember that?) !
Anyway, I had linuxes from Ottawa, South Carolina and Ireland(mint). Finally settled on Mint Mate because it did what I needed. It's still just a hammer !
Cheers!  Cool
ps: +1 for firefox ! (so far) !
pps: when PCs became trendy at work, I did everything on a spreadsheet, not knowing any better. Much later, I discovered databases, and could have saved myself a ton of work and some embarassment. Born in the wrong decade!

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 01/21/24 at 05:20:35

Where exactly are all these ads popping up that are so distracting?

I see banner ads here and there, and YouTube ads when not signed in, but that's pretty much it.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 01/21/24 at 05:43:23

When do you have the google disease with your browser?

Light up your current browser and go to a You Tube function or site.   If you got the malady, Google instantly locks your YouTube up and asks you to upgrade to YoutTube Plus.

Yes, I know it sounds like a scheme of some sort playing out ..... but it is for real.

Sad

Eegore. so why do I care about this situation?  

Well, who runs your computer, you or Google?   I thought I did.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #12 - 01/21/24 at 10:00:20

zipidachimp wrote on 01/20/24 at 23:13:25:
At work, everyone was using Lotus 123, I was using Quattro Pro, even for word processing (remember that?) !

Oh yes. remember it well. Smiley I was using that back when it was still called Perfect Office before Win95 came out and MS sabotaged them by updating the API and not telling Wordperfect that the old API was no longer compatible. Corel took over then but MS Office had such a jump on them by then that they never recovered.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 01/21/24 at 23:33:27

When do you have the google disease with your browser?

Light up your current browser and go to a You Tube function or site.   If you got the malady, Google instantly locks your YouTube up and asks you to upgrade to YoutTube Plus.

Yes, I know it sounds like a scheme of some sort playing out ..... but it is for real.

Sounds like you are  experiencing the "Ad Blockers are not allowed on YouTube" notice that's been around for a while.

To be clear, you are unable to watch YouTube because you are using ad-blockers?  Or are you using no ad-blockers and still being restricted from YouTube because of a different reason?

I have never experienced the inability to use YouTube even when not signed in, which is pretty much all the time.  To test this I logged in 6 laptops that have never had a single user ever logged in, uninstalled then updated Google Chrome, then used YouTube, and 7 websites with various YouTube links.

All of them worked.

I then installed random adblockers on each.  I can still watch YouTube without being signed in while using Ublock Origin, Youtube enhanced, and Ghosty.  While Adblock/Plus and AdGuard did not work.

If your situation is one where third party ad-blockers are prohibiting you from using Google's Chrome browser to view Google's YouTube services, this seems normal to me.  For that matter being blocked while using any known browser plus ad-blockers, when using Google's YouTube services, seems normal as well.

The entire revenue model is based off of ads.  That's how many humans make money on Google's YouTube service.  This sounds to me like someone finding it inappropriate that they can't watch free broadcast NBC because they noticed that you have found a way to remove commercials and only receive programming to your TV set.  This is essentially removing their primary revenue model for that service, why would they be ok with that?

Because you should be able to do whatever you want with your TV?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 01/22/24 at 05:30:41

My computer, my software choices ......

I chose Linux Mint and the free and open software world ------ and for years it ran that way.

Along comes Google and basically assigns me all the rights of a convicted felon, with me judged guilty and assigned to Botany Bay.

To clarify ---- I removed all adblockers a whole long time ago and still Google instantly locks up my YouTube up as if I had active adblockers present ......  

This is Google "misbehaving" in my opinion.

Google then physically takes over my Firefox browser installation and adds in all sorts of their own advertising ad bars, something I object to quite a bit.

====================================================

Tongue

In any case, if you want your computer back under your control, you can give Brave browser a try.   It will be a whole generation more primitive and "simpler", but it will work without turning on you like Google will.

Credit to Firefox, they tried to fix Google several times of late ..... but Google refuses to stay fixed.  

Firefox isn't running the show any more, Google is .......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 14:47:04

General CategoryThe Cafe › Browsers and AI PCs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.