Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
Cylinder Head Fastener Upgrades (Read 534 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Cylinder Head Fastener Upgrades
Reply #30 - 10/14/22 at 17:23:09

To install the insert you will need some simple tools.  An easy out, a continuously threaded M8-1.25 bolt, an M8-1.25 nut, several spacers, and an appropriate wrench.

Insert_Installation_Tools.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #31 - 10/14/22 at 17:23:52

I use the easy out to help install the insert from inside the port.  I don’t reef on the easy out, just use it to align the insert and turn it to thread it into the hole.  Do a trial fitup to make sure it goes all the way home.

Installing_Insert_Easy_Out.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #32 - 10/14/22 at 17:24:50

Once the insert is started into the threads, remove the easy out and replace it with the M8 bolt and install a nut on the top.  Now you can use the wrench to run it in snug.

Insert_Installation_Tool.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #33 - 10/14/22 at 17:25:49

It must go all the way in and hit the bottom of the counterbore.

Insert_Good_Fit.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #34 - 10/14/22 at 17:26:27

If it fits good, remove the insert, clean everything up with Braklean, apply a coat of JB Weld to the external threads, and reinstall the insert permanently.  Go easy with the epoxy, you don’t want any slopping up the M8 internal threads.

Epoxy_Application_Insert.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #35 - 10/14/22 at 17:28:14

If done correctly, it should look like this.  Just a smidge of epoxy peeking out from around the flange of the insert.  The insert is all the way home.

Insert_Install_with_Epoxy.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #36 - 10/14/22 at 17:29:52

Once the epoxy cures, that sucker ain’t ever comin out so make sure you got it right.  If your lookin for a little better performance you can blend the insert in with a die grinder, but I doubt it ill make much difference.  The gas flow through this port at WOT is pretty much confined to the upper regions of the port.  I’ve tried a number of mods to the floor of the port, and they don’t make any difference on the poor man’s flow bench.

Insert_Blended.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #37 - 10/14/22 at 17:30:38

No more interference with the head gasket.  Use one of those Dorman M8 studs with the insert and you have a good strong fastener.  I have this installed on my Big Bore 4-Speed project and it’s ready to go.  I have a high degree of confidence in this fix, but the old Savage has fooled me a time or two.  I will keep you informed.

Insert_Finished_Epoxy.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #38 - 10/14/22 at 19:49:34

DragBikeMike wrote on 10/14/22 at 17:07:57:
I want a lot of strength, so I make my own acorn nut out of a grade 8 bolt.  I get more thread engagement that way.  But I suspect a standard acorn nut will work fine.  I incorporate an o-ring into the special acorn nut to make the seal.  I want to be able to take this fastener up to maximum allowed stress to ensure a good head gasket seal at the oil passage.

Could you explain this further?

WWW   IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #39 - 10/14/22 at 20:25:11

Lathe work.  A blind threaded hole in the center, with a counterbore for the o-ring.  Flats are machined into the outside diameter so you can tighten it with a wrench.

Must be fricken nice to have a lathe! (totally jealous!)

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #40 - 10/15/22 at 10:04:22

That is some seriously clever problem solving. Yeah, having a lathe is something I really want, but IF I had one, I'm not sure I have the skill to get it to do something like that.
Probably some Kinda learning curve goes into THAT.
Good stuff, Mike.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #41 - 11/10/22 at 12:40:31

Versy, I’m sorry I missed your question.  My comment on desiring maximum stress at the right-rear fastener is related to the oil feed to the head.  I had trouble on one with a 97mm bore and copper head gasket.  Big oil leak at the right-rear corner.  That problem was caused by the head not being perfectly flat.  But having a fastener in that location (right-rear head cover bolt) that could not be reefed on to the max didn’t help.  You just can’t twist up that stock bolt since you will end up yanking the internal threads out of the cylinder.  Using the grade-8 through-bolt with a nut eliminates the need to girl thingy foot around the fastener.  You can max up the torque, and if it breaks just replace the bolt & nut.

I hope that explains my comment.  If you were looking for a sketch LMK and I will do a quick drawing.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #42 - 11/10/22 at 12:42:26

I’ve been running the Big Bore 4-speed for about one month.  The engine has about 1900 miles on it.  I wanted to fill you in on how the fastener modifications are working out.

The ¼-20 head cover bolts are solid.  No leaks along the joint between the head cover and head.  The special acorn nut is also dry as a bone.  I knew this repair works good since I’ve run it on other engines.  This fix is a keeper.

The 8mm cylinder head stud just below the exhaust port is also solid.  I check the nut about once per week and the nut is always tight.  At most, I may have rotated this nut a total of 1/20 of a turn (18°) in all my retightening attempts combined.  With the old setup, I generally got about 1/8 turn (45°) every time I checked it until the shoulder on the stud started touching the head gasket, at which point the fastener was no longer clamping the head to the cylinder.  I think this mod is a must for anyone running a 97mm bore and the enlarged exhaust port.  The copper head gasket associated with the 97mm bore is unforgiving.  It doesn’t have an embossed bead to compensate for any reduction in fastener stress.  The enlarged exhaust port reduces some of the beam-strength between the 9mm studs, so a solid 8mm stud in the center is critical.

I am very pleased with these repairs/mods.  

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #43 - 11/10/22 at 14:10:53

DragBikeMike wrote on 11/10/22 at 12:40:31:
I hope that explains my comment.  If you were looking for a sketch LMK and I will do a quick drawing.

I got the gist of what it was from sneezes comment.  thanks.

WWW   IP Logged
Ikarus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #44 - 03/06/23 at 10:53:36

Hello and first of all thanks for the great solution. My right rear bolt has failed and have a major leak from it. Going to try your fix. When you say that the head must be removed for sealing of the oil passage and clean up does that mean the cover at the top or the top section of the head where the fins start. If so this is probably the most involved and complex repair I have done on the bike. Do you recommend the clymer manual as a way to help me get it done? Thanks again.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 01:24:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cylinder Head Fastener Upgrades

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.