Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Cylinder Head Fastener Upgrades (Read 534 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Cylinder Head Fastener Upgrades
Reply #15 - 10/14/22 at 17:10:40

The cutter bits have a 6mm tapped hole in the center, so you can drive the tool bit with the old 6mm head cover bolt.  You will have to clean up the threads in the cutter bit with a M6-1.00 tap so that the threads go completely through the cutter.  It’s tough material but if you go slow and use cutting oil you can carefully run the tap completely through the cutter.  Start the tap from the back side of the cutter (side with no cutting blades).

Cutter_Blade.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #16 - 10/14/22 at 17:11:21

This is what it looks like in action.  You lock the cutter to the bolt with a jam nut.  Use copious amounts of mineral spirits as a cutting lubricant to keep the cutter blades from loading up with aluminum.  Remove the cutter frequently to clean the aluminum chips out of the blades.  In a few minutes you will have a nice, flat spot face.

Cutter_in_Action.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #17 - 10/14/22 at 17:12:00

Finished spot face.  Ready for action.  Now remove the cylinder head, clean out all the aluminum chips, and remove your cleanliness barrier (plumber’s putty, modeling clay, etc.).  Put everything back together.  New head gasket will be needed.

Finished_Spot_face.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #18 - 10/14/22 at 17:13:00

This sucker takes a lickin and keeps on tickin.  You can rest assured in the knowledge that your head gasket will get pinched adequately to keep the oil where it belongs.

Finished_Install2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #19 - 10/14/22 at 17:14:15

Have any of you ever noticed that your 8mm head nut, the one just below the exhaust port, always seems to come loose?  Mine is always coming loose.

One reason is that the stock steel MLS gasket tends to sink into the aluminum cylinder head.  Just a bit.  With the stock head gasket, you usually find the area just under the exhaust port won’t clean up.  There always seems to be a witness mark that corresponds to the embossed fire ring in the head gasket.  Always on the exhaust side, never on the intake.  But that nonsense stops once the head has conformed to the fire ring.

See the witness mark.  It doesn’t clean up unless you resurface the head.  That means it has depth.

Sealing_Surface_Witness_Mark.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #20 - 10/14/22 at 17:15:23

Another reason is that the 12mm threads in the aluminum cylinder head are giving up.  How do I know that?  I keep finding my studs/inserts proud.

This is my Stage 3 head after a little over 6500 miles and several nut tightenings.  The tool bit catches on the edge of the stud.  It was well below the sealing surface when I installed the head.  So, the stud insert now interferes with proper head gasket crush.  No good.

Insert_Proud_Toolbit_Snags.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #21 - 10/14/22 at 17:16:22

Here’s my Stage 2 head after about 14,000 miles and four or five re-tightenings.  You can really see that insert sticking up.  It’s proud by about .007”.  That’s gotta be bad.

Insert_Proud.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #22 - 10/14/22 at 17:17:00

You can see how the insert is bearing hard on the head gasket.

Gskt_Impression.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #23 - 10/14/22 at 17:17:39

And you can see how the stud makes the head gasket bear hard on the cylinder.  Look at the impression.

Cyl_Witness.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #24 - 10/14/22 at 17:19:08

What’s goin on?

IMO, another case of fatigue.  The condition is aggravated by removing the stud to resurface the head.  The stud, by design, has a class 5 interference fit into the aluminum head.  Remove the stud to resurface the head and you end up with a class 3 or 4 fit.  Not as robust.  Now increase the cyclic stress by bumping up the compression 2 points from 8.5:1 to 10.5:1.  The horsepower goes way up and so does the break mean effective pressure.  The head gets subjected to a lot more force.  Now open up that exhaust port and decrease the structural integrity of the head.  Takes a lot less force to bend it.  Throw in a pile of red-hot exhaust gas, get the whole shebang cycling about 2000 to 3000 times per minute, and guess what gives up.

All is not lost, hope springs eternal.  Maybe the thing can be salvaged, possibly even improved.

We start with our trusty valve seat cutting tool.  Let’s make a counterbore inside the exhaust port and install an insert the other way, with the shoulder on top.  So now, the shoulder does all the work, not the threads.

Take the old stud out.  That can be hard.  I had to drill mine out.  Don’t exceed a 27/64” drill and make sure you are perfectly centered.  Then clean up the threads with a M12-1.25 tap.  Not too bad.  Should work.

« Last Edit: 02/19/24 at 09:31:04 by DragBikeMike »  

Threads_M12_x_1_25.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #25 - 10/14/22 at 17:19:45

Make a guide by drilling through a M12-1.25 bolt (grade 8.8 is fine, soft enough to drill).  You will use it with a long M6-1.00 bolt to drive the cutter while keeping it centralized and square.

Cutter__Guide.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #26 - 10/14/22 at 17:20:18

Install the guide in the stud hole.  Use washers/spacers as shown to set the depth.  You want a nylon or fiber washer in contact with the head surface to prevent damage to the sealing area.

Cutter_Guide_Nylon_Wshr.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #27 - 10/14/22 at 17:21:04

Install the cutter and jam nuts as shown.  Start with a smaller cutter (.55”) and then finish with your final size cutter.  The finished size will depend on the insert you choose to use.  I made my own insert.  It had a .615” diameter flange, so the .63” cutter was just right.  You want the counterbore to be about .015” larger than your insert flange, so that the insert can be threaded all the way into the counterbore.   And you want the counterbore to be about .08” (2mm) deep.  The depth will depend on the insert you use.

Cutter_Tool_Installed.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #28 - 10/14/22 at 17:21:47

You can drive the cutter assembly with a cordless hand drill set to slow speed.  You turn it in reverse (CCW).  Again, use copious amounts of mineral spirits to prevent the aluminum from loading up the cutter, and clean the cutter blades frequently.  Only takes a few minutes to do the job, even with the interruptions for cleaning.  You end up with this.  Nice.

Finished_Spotface.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #29 - 10/14/22 at 17:22:25

I made my insert from a grade 8.8 bolt, M12-1.25.  Soft enough to permit machining on my jalopy lathe, but waaaaaay tougher than the aluminum casting it was goin in.  It had M12-1.25 external threads, M8-1.25 internal threads, and the flange is .615” O.D..  The flange is about .08” thick.  I have also made similar inserts from the stock stud by sawing off the 8mm shank and then drilling and tapping the 12mm base with M8-1.25 internal threads.  The flange O.D. is a bit smaller (.55”) but it would probably work.  Just adjust your counterbore cutter to suit.

Bolt__Insert.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 00:05:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cylinder Head Fastener Upgrades

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.