Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Cylinder Head Fastener Upgrades (Read 540 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Cylinder Head Fastener Upgrades
Reply #60 - 08/28/23 at 04:15:27

You should have ordered a timing cover for a Suzuki Intruder if you wanted chrome, or a DR650 if you want painted.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1416070003

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #61 - 08/28/23 at 04:26:31

Dave wrote on 08/28/23 at 04:15:27:
You should have ordered a timing cover for a Suzuki Intruder if you wanted chrome, or a DR650 if you want painted.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1416070003

I did not care for painted or chrome, I just wanted allen bolt as I really struggled to remove the slotted one.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #62 - 08/28/23 at 04:28:54

Just checked, 09259-36008 is what I bought on Amazon.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #63 - 08/28/23 at 08:33:50

och wrote on 08/28/23 at 04:28:54:
Just checked, 09259-36008 is what I bought on Amazon.

Well don't buy any more of them....they obviously don't fit!

och wrote on 08/28/23 at 04:26:31:
I did not care for painted or chrome, I just wanted allen bolt as I really struggled to remove the slotted one.

Well according to the listing on Amazon - you did buy one that is chrome.  If you had bought the one for the Suzuki Intruder it would have fit properly and not made shavings in your engine.

On my bike I used the painted DR650 plug.  I stripped off the paint and then polished the aluminum to match the LS650 case (no chrome).

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #64 - 08/28/23 at 13:26:19

I'll just machine down the inside of the plug that I bought. It might also have been cause by the fact that I did not put on the gasket the first time around, with the gasket there should be more clearance. I'm still baffled how it didn't occur to me right away what was happening.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #65 - 08/28/23 at 14:23:09

These timing covers should only be made lightly "snug" when they are installed - not "tight:.

Folks over-tighten them, and that is why they are hard to remove.

The rubber O-ring seals them up, and also keeps them from vibrating loose.

Same for the drain plug.....snug them up one handed - don't tighten them like a wheel lug bolt!

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #66 - 08/28/23 at 15:44:44

Dave wrote on 08/28/23 at 14:23:09:
These timing covers should only be made lightly "snug" when they are installed - not "tight:.

Same for the drain plug.....snug them up one handed - don't tighten them like a wheel lug bolt!

My original plug was never removed before, so it was very tight from the factory - i really struggled with a huge screw driver and a hammer to get it loose. I figured an allen key plug is going to be easier to remove if I have to in the future. I'm not very particular about its finish, im a function before form person.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #67 - 08/28/23 at 20:35:09

och wrote on 08/28/23 at 15:44:44:
Dave wrote on 08/28/23 at 14:23:09:

My original plug was never removed before, so it was very tight from the factory - i really struggled with a huge screw driver and a hammer to get it loose. I figured an allen key plug is going to be easier to remove if I have to in the future. I'm not very particular about its finish, im a function before form person.

besides the over tightening, once done it brings metal to metal contact around the perimeter of the plug and gives a chance to cold weld the parts together making it almost impossible to remove.

replace the o-ring once it becomes compressed.

WWW   IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #68 - 08/29/23 at 12:27:55

Regarding the use of dorman studs for the header --

If you have a wrapped pipe be mindful of potential difficulty with seating the collar on the studs correctly. I just did this today and ran into some unforseen issues as a result.

DBM did you torque the studs? I know they bottom out in there, I'm concerned that over tightening on the supplied nuts could over torque the studs in the head. What are your thoughts?

Thanks

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #69 - 08/29/23 at 12:46:56

Surviving Philly wrote on 08/29/23 at 12:27:55:
Regarding the use of dorman studs for the header --

If you have a wrapped pipe be mindful of potential difficulty with seating the collar on the studs correctly. I just did this today and ran into some unforseen issues as a result.

DBM did you torque the studs? I know they bottom out in there, I'm concerned that over tightening on the supplied nuts could over torque the studs in the head. What are your thoughts?

Thanks

You are much more likely to strip the threads inside the aluminum block with the stock bolts.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #70 - 08/30/23 at 04:57:58

Finally took the bike out for a ride after all the repairs, and it runs like a champ! No leak from the headbolt, no more rattling or ticking noises, great power, the clutch does not drag, no sticking when shifting gears, easy to find neutral. I'm very happy to finally have the bike to proper!

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #71 - 08/30/23 at 07:14:25

I would change the oil and filter soon to try and get as much of those drill shavings out of that engine.  Hopefully none are getting where they could cause problems later on.  But another flush and filter certainly couldn't hurt.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker (destroyed by fire)
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribut
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #72 - 08/30/23 at 08:17:27

TheSneeze wrote on 08/30/23 at 07:14:25:
I would change the oil and filter soon to try and get as much of those drill shavings out of that engine.  Hopefully none are getting where they could cause problems later on.  But another flush and filter certainly couldn't hurt.

I honestly dont think any shavings made it in there, most of the shavings from the cap ended up in the cap, I cleaned them out. And the head bolt, I drilled it slow and blew all the shavings out of there, I think I am in good shape now. Just so glad to have the bike running as its meant to.

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #73 - 10/23/23 at 13:10:40

DragBikeMike wrote on 10/14/22 at 17:07:22:
The right-rear head cover bolt (130mm) is another story.  Unfortunately, I believe it’s the one that fails most frequently.  The right-rear bolt goes through an oil passage.  Any sort of drilling will put metal chips into that oil passage.  If you wanna fix that one you need to remove the cylinder head to block the oil passage and clean things out after the repair is finished.  I use plumbers’ putty to seal off the oil passage in the cylinder.  Then temporarily reinstall the head and head cover to use as a guide for the drilling operation.  Then remove the head cover and head to clean things up.  This can be done with the engine still in the frame, but the head and head cover must be removed for cleanliness plugging and cleaning.

Because the bolt hole is pressurized with oil when the engine is running, the bolt-head must be sealed, and the nut on the bottom must also be sealed.

A standard Suzuki sealing washer works fine under the bolt-head.  I apply a dab of silicone sealant too.

You can’t use a standard nut on the bottom.  It will leak.  You need to use a closed nut, like an acorn nut.

DBM - You wouldn't happen to know how to identify the OEM P/N for this Suzuki sealing washer?

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker (destroyed by fire)
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribut
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #74 - 10/23/23 at 15:18:56

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print