Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
A whoa moment on the road (Read 141 times)
Scottwerty

It's not a Gang!
It's a Club!

Mass
A whoa moment on the road
09/01/22 at 03:41:38

Have you ever been riding and had a o crap moment when something breaks , falls off or loosens up? Riding into work earlier this week and lost my shifter lever!  Shocked I did retrieve it on the road undamaged, luckily.  
    But it did get me to buy a 2 pack of c clips at Ace. So now I have a spare! I'm thinking I will have to maybe drill and tap the end and put a plate washer there so this doesn't happen again.  🤔

IP Logged
Needles
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

AR
Re: A whoa moment on the road
Reply #1 - 09/01/22 at 07:50:50

I had a '72 Triumph 650 TR6R once. The 7 piece exhaust never made it more than 20 miles without some of it falling off. The OEM fender mount tail light/turn signal assembly bolts would chew through the fender and fall off, too. I got an aftermarkrt assembly that mounted to the back of the frame loop and a 1 piece 2 into 1 header  and exhaust assembly. Parts stayed on, but it still shook like a wet dog...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 09/01/22 at 13:17:25

I'm Thinking Verslagen was getting on down the road when his counterweight went through the bottom front of the case. Whoever that was definitely had a MeauxMentt.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 09/01/22 at 13:32:24

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/01/22 at 13:17:25:
I'm Thinking Verslagen was getting on down the road when his counterweight went through the bottom front of the case. Whoever that was definitely had a MeauxMentt.

I didn't drop it on the ground but did loose a bearing.
I did drop a muffler heat shield and a tool box cover once.

WWW   IP Logged
Scottwerty

It's not a Gang!
It's a Club!

Mass
Reply #4 - 09/01/22 at 14:16:50

I fixed the tool box cover with a knob bolt through the top into the a I think there called thread clip. Works like a charm .

My Jardine exhaust baffle on the other hand had the rivet break off and shoot it out the back . Ironically that happened later on that same day as the shifter. Rivets no more now its 2 bolts

20220901_171604.jpg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 09/01/22 at 17:30:57

Scottwerty wrote on 09/01/22 at 14:16:50:
I fixed the tool box cover with a knob bolt through the top into the a I think there called thread clip.

GOOD IDEA!

the lousy tabs fit into the plastic top and are not secure at all.

WWW   IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #6 - 09/01/22 at 18:28:08

I was riding over the volcanic plateau in the central north island of New Zealand on an old BSA Gold Flash in my youth when I came to a bridge over a creek .Went to change down and no shifter!  Much slipping of the clutch and many retraced miles and really got lucky There it was laying on the side of the gravel  Very remote area It scares me to think how long ago that was.

Hiko   IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #7 - 09/01/22 at 21:34:06

Good story, Hiko!

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
Scottwerty

It's not a Gang!
It's a Club!

Mass
Reply #8 - 09/02/22 at 16:41:28

Glad to hear I'm not the only one to lose a shifter, Hiko ! Definitely not fun going back the way you came scanning the road.

IP Logged
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/02/22 at 19:03:56

Years ago while riding my Dad's Jawa 350, I hit a large bump, and the side cover popped open.  The battery fell out and broke open on the pavement. I had to push it home, and there were some inclines.  I hate when that happens!

« Last Edit: 09/03/22 at 06:13:09 by buster6315 »  
  IP Logged
twhitus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pinellas park, floida
Reply #10 - 09/03/22 at 11:42:08

ive had a 55 lb bag of dog food fall off at 75mph, that was one hell of a mess.  not sure how it happened, i even tapped it a few times and said "that aint goin anywhere"

IP Logged
Scottwerty

It's not a Gang!
It's a Club!

Mass
Reply #11 - 09/03/22 at 12:29:17

twhitus wrote on 09/03/22 at 11:42:08:
ive had a 55 lb bag of dog food fall off at 75mph, that was one hell of a mess.  not sure how it happened, i even tapped it a few times and said "that aint goin anywhere"

Thanks twhitus,
       My imagination is having a field day with this one Grin 😆 🤣 😂

IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #12 - 09/04/22 at 20:41:14

So on my older LS I replaced the headlight with a Cobra sort of tear drop thing. On a ride with a couple of my friends to the Jersey Shore we do a 50 mile route in a loop that brings us back to the town I live in where we meet my wife for a late lunch in a restaurant on the shore. While eating my friend Glenn say's "oh by the way when we were getting off the Parkway I noticed a part flew off your bike, looked like a headlight ring when we were on the exit ramp". I walk out to check and guess what the ring is gone, but it was just a trim ring. We had a stop before about 5 miles from the spot, where we checked out the beach in Belmar and took some pictures, did he mention it there, no. Only when we were 20 plus miles away from it.

Went back later and found it laying along the road. But not end of story, so now I'm like let's keep this from happening again, so I re-install it with some Locktite on threads and guess what it was now not removable to replace the headlight bulb. Had to cut housing apart and replace the entire thing. Let a lesson be learned, all it really needed was a small piece of duct tape indiscriminately placed on underside to hold it in place.

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #13 - 09/05/22 at 13:08:45

There is more than one type of Loctite...  they even have removable stuff.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
Smerft85
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 09/13/22 at 06:58:44

It wasn't on my Savage, but one night I rode down to the grocery store to help my wife out a bit and followed her most of the way home. The last long straight road before my house also marks where city limits ends, once we were headed down that particular road I got on the throttle to pass my wife and one other car so I could park my bike and be ready to help carry groceries inside the house. When I decided to pass them I went from 25mph to well over 80mph in a very short distance, noticed a deer smack dab in the middle of the road, as I leaned to the right to avoid him a second deer behind the first started to cross as well, leaned right, missed the first one, leaned left immediately after and missed the second with the bike, but gave him an 80 mph "pregnant dog slap" with the side of my right calf right upside his face. Didn't go down, and the deer was a bit dazed but OK. That one was on my victory so a rather large bike that I was throwing around like a sport bike. There was a somewhat similar experience when I first started road riding on my vs800 at 2:30 in the morning doing 65mph when a short caused my headlight to turn off and on at will, my wife was asleep on the back for that one! Light cut out with nothing in front of me, hit a bump and the light came back on for there to be a deer ten feet in front of me. To answer the question, I live in a rural area for sure.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 14:01:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A whoa moment on the road

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.