Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Quick Shock Fitment Question (Read 56 times)
BinMD
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maryland, USA
Quick Shock Fitment Question
09/11/22 at 17:16:11

I began two very minor changes (petcock and longer rear shocks) to my new S40 today and came up with a question regarding shock fit.  I did search the forum for some info prior to (and during) the install, as I like to be as self-service as possible, but came up with some conflicting info... so sorry if this question seems redundant.  

I read that 12.5" shocks would fit without mods (or so I thought) and since I found a good deal on some 12.25" units, I went with those.
However, the right rear foot peg hit the stock pipe (which was also slated to be replaced) before the e-t-e length reached 12.25" so the pegs had to come off.  As it turned out, once the pegs were off, the swingarm itself then hit the exhaust (just barely) before the e-t-e got to 12.25" so now I'm pegless and exhaustless.

I knew from reading the forum, that the chainguards would have to be modded a bit, which I think I did adequately (see pic), but I'm wondering if there is anything else (mechanically) that I should be looking at as a result of the longer shocks in regard to fitment?  I'll probably mod the chainguards a bit more before it's all over, but I think I got the two spots that were problematic.            

Thanks!

B.  

p.s. Yellow arrows show where I removed a bit of material for clearance.  

chainguard_2.jpg
  IP Logged
BinMD
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maryland, USA
Re: Quick Shock Fitment Question
Reply #1 - 09/11/22 at 17:32:43

p.s.  I also removed the "shoulder" from the front pulley cover.  It was the one thing on the bike that for some odd reason was damaged... when it was off the off the bike at some point I suspect. It was slightly bent and cracked... looked like from an impact.

I also wanted just a bit more clearance between it and the bolts that held the chainguard on.  There was literally 0.5mm between the two at the most.  They seemed dangerously close to each other.  

guard.jpg
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 09/12/22 at 06:23:25

I think you've found the interference's I dealt with.
It's worth it.  Cool

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #3 - 09/12/22 at 08:00:52

I think you can go up to 13.5 inches.  But that requires a bunch of changes.  Most of the guys going with the taller suspension are also putting in a bigger rim and tire combo and cutting out the swingarm, different exhaust, different peg locations.

So Id expect to find a few problems along the way.

WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 09/12/22 at 17:38:44

This post describes my experience with rear shock installation.  You didn't mention what configuration you have (cruiser, standard, cafe, tracker, bobber, etc.).  IMO, anything over 11.5" shocks on a cruiser config will look pretty strange, and the steering will get too twitchy, and the belt will be very hard to adjust (too loose with shocks extended, too tight when partially compressed).  But that's just my opinion, and I am far from an expert on suspension as you will see if you read the post.  The post describes my struggle with the rear shocks and front forks.  I feel like I have improved the suspension, and the handling is better too.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1633394130

Let us know how you do with your project.  Good luck.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 00:14:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Quick Shock Fitment Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.