5th Gear ? (Read 186 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
5th Gear ?
08/18/22 at 09:42:59

I bought a used 2004 Savage recently.  It should have 5 gears.  I go to shift into 5th and it doesn't seem to be there...  Is there a minimum speed (or rpm) to engage 5th gear?  I've been trying to hit 5th around 50-55mph.  What is this "neutral" thing between 4th and 5th I saw a couple comments about?  Thanks guys.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: 5th Gear ?
Reply #1 - 08/18/22 at 12:08:20

Research the stamped serial number on the engine , engine swapped ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 08/18/22 at 13:32:40

WWW   IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #3 - 08/19/22 at 05:19:35

Thanks for the info guys.  The engine number falls in the range for a 2004 (P401-160137).  The sprocket cover also shows 1N2345 (although that could easily have been swapped).

The bikes upshifts and downshifts fine for 1-4.  Where's my 5th gear?  lol

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/19/22 at 10:25:05

It could be an adjustment.
The shifter might be bottoming out on a bolt.
Or the shift lever might be in the wrong position.
typically, there's a center punch mark on the shaft and the slot of the lever aligns with it, but might require being 1 tooth to the side.

WWW   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 08/19/22 at 11:43:07

Do Not Stomp the Shifter that will not fix it , risk loosing another gear or worse. Fix it , pay to get it fixed , sell it , pick one ! Yup options are grim.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #6 - 08/19/22 at 11:53:23

Thank you, Verslagen.  I'll take a look at that.  

Update on my carb jetting with the Jardine Rumbler series muffler.  I bumped up the main jet to #150 and reduced the spacer to a single nylon #4 spacer (about 1/3 thinner than stock, .066" thick if I remember the descrition correctly at ACE).  I did not change the Pilot jet (still on the #52.5).  Max rpm on the air/fuel screw is still at about 2.25 turns out.  There is no noticeable drop in rpm at 3 turns out.  However, you can tell it's a bit richer and the backfire on deceleration is lessened at 3 turns out compared to 2.25 turns out.  She still wants to backfire pretty good.  I'm humbly starting to believe you that I'm not going to eliminate the backfire with the Jardine pipe.  FYI - It's a simple wrapped core - virtually an open straight pipe.

Any further suggestions on the carb tuning are appreciated.  Thanks.

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #7 - 08/19/22 at 11:54:45

I think DBM was looking at being able to swap transmissions - maybe a 4 speed (downgrade?) into a 5 speed case.  I know you cannot fit a 5 speed trans into a 4 speed case.  Seems like a slim possibility to me, but maybe someone fitted a 4 speed in there?  I know, it's a real reach here...

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #8 - 08/19/22 at 12:08:41

Hey Ruttly.  I've been riding almost 50 years.  My shifter stomping days are long gone.  Plus, I don't know how to stomp up to 5th with my big toe.  lol

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 08/19/22 at 12:44:08

ThumperPaul wrote on 08/19/22 at 11:53:23:
Update on my carb jetting with the Jardine Rumbler series muffler.  I bumped up the main jet to #150 and reduced the spacer to a single nylon #4 spacer (about 1/3 thinner than stock, .066" thick if I remember the descrition correctly at ACE).  I did not change the Pilot jet (still on the #52.5).  Max rpm on the air/fuel screw is still at about 2.25 turns out.  There is no noticeable drop in rpm at 3 turns out.  However, you can tell it's a bit richer and the backfire on deceleration is lessened at 3 turns out compared to 2.25 turns out.  She still wants to backfire pretty good.  I'm humbly starting to believe you that I'm not going to eliminate the backfire with the Jardine pipe.  FYI - It's a simple wrapped core - virtually an open straight pipe.

Any further suggestions on the carb tuning are appreciated.  Thanks.

1st 1 change at a time.
changing the spacer while changing the main will give false impressions.
change the main for proper top end
change the spacer for proper mid range.

backfire (technically afterfire) is caused in the stock system by unburned fuel in the muffler and on shutoff fresh air is drawn into the muffler causing a big bang.  or by an air leak at the header or muffler connections.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 08/19/22 at 13:09:04

Engine off
Sitting on the bike, rock the bike forward and back, hold light pressure up on the shifter
Get it in neutral and start working through the gears.

If you haven't yet, it would not be a bad idea to get on the ground and eyeball your shift rod. The way I see it, a bent rod will upshift better than down shift.
But one of our gurus may come along and say I'm wrong.
Nothing wrong with laying down and pushing up on the shifter and see if something is keeping it from moving through its full travel. If it has the dimple in it, compare where the shift lever is to the picture.
I usually don't use the clutch to get from second to third and on up. Instead of gripping the throttle I lay my hand flat on top and shove it forward and shift right quick.
It's just a forward thrust and immediately back. Works great. It's easier when you're going to almost the end of your best torque. As in, running the snot out of it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #11 - 08/19/22 at 13:50:22

Thanks again, Verslagen.  I should have made 1 change at a time. But I thought I had gathered the collected wisdom and went for 2 changes. Dare I go to the #55 pilot to try to help resolve?  The top is pretty good and led to the discovery that I can’t find 5th gear.  Bike runs strong and almost seems rich at 3/4 throttle.  More trial and error I guess.  I’m going to keep plugging but would like your thoughts on doing the #55.

And I do have a tiny leak on the exhaust where the muffler connects.  I just need to keep tinkering.  Really appreciate your help and this site is the bomb!  So glad I’m not on this ride totally alone!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 08/19/22 at 19:15:27

impossible for anyone to know what's right for you, your system is different in a different part of the world.

WWW   IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #13 - 08/20/22 at 04:48:36

True. Thanks.  Also, I found 5th gear.  I must have been skipping through a gear up or down somewhere getting to and from 5th.  I’m going for a ride today and will pay attention to my shifting.  I think I’m skipping through 4th.  Take care.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 08/20/22 at 08:43:19

The difference between fourth and fifth is not a lot. Some of these guys, blessed with a memory I never had, know the ratios. If the jump from first to second wasn't so big it would be easy to ditch the clutch going through the gears, but I was never able to get it down in the few times I tried it. Just too harsh, even when it slipped in without a sound.
Have you eyeballed the shift rod?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 03:32:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 5th Gear ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.