Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Drill out stock muffler? (Read 69 times)
wheelbender6

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Drill out stock muffler?
05/27/22 at 14:30:04

Just got an S40 off EBay with only 3,000 miles. I will pick it up next Saturday.

Has anybody modified the exhaust by drilling some holes in the rear facing part of the muffler? I figure I can plug them with sheet metal screws if it doesn't sound good, lol.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Drill out stock muffler?
Reply #1 - 05/27/22 at 18:34:24

When I bought my S40 (an '06) it had a 1/2" hole drilled in the end plate on each side of the normal muffler outlet courtesy of a previous owner. . It's still pretty quiet and I think it sounds fine.. Other than those holes, a Raptor petc#ock,and a Versy cam chain adjuster, the bike is completely stock, including the jets in the carb. The holes have had no noticeable effect on the way the bike has run for the almost 18K miles I've put on it since buying it.

IP Logged
Evanswv

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/27/22 at 18:53:41

I was thinking about an aftermarket muffler for mine , but have got to liking the stock muffler. I know it's pretty common to drill the stock muffler. There are videos on YouTube showing it. If you did you would probably want to use at least a 7/16 bit, and make several holes. I think people drill them on the rivits. You may like it as quiet as possible on a low miles stock bike.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 05/28/22 at 03:00:26

The stock muffler can be modified to support significantly more power, and still remain quiet.  I was able to squeeze 41 HP out of an LS engine with a modified stock muffler.  It's a bit of work but the results are satisfying.

The stock muffler is complicated.  It's best to understand the beast before you start hacking on it.  Just drilling holes in the back plate doesn't do much.  This old post will show you exactly what's inside the beast and give you a good idea of the flow path.  It also gives you some good details on how to modify the thing without making the motorcycle sound like $h!t.  Good luck.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1526453881

BTW, that's a mighty clean lookin Savage ya picked up.  Congrats.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
wheelbender6

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/28/22 at 07:37:34

Thanks for all the info.
At my skill level, I  may just be better off swapping the stock can for a Dyna can.
I leave for work early in the AM so I don't want the exhaust to be a lot louder.

IP Logged
wheelbender6

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/28/22 at 08:13:56

What cam were you using to make 41hp, DBM?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 05/28/22 at 12:32:37

I'd be replacing the petcock if it's stock.
Then ride it a while. See how it acts. You might discover that it is running pretty lean.
See what mpg you're getting.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 05/29/22 at 14:24:09

"What cam were you using to make 41hp, DBM?"

That particular engine used an OEM DR650 cam.  It was a unique setup.  The main point is that the stock muffler, with some relatively simple mods, could support 41 ponies.  It was quiet too.  If you are interested in the engine build you can find all the gory details here.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1567201633

I was always preoccupied with detonation on that particular engine.  I have since learned that the Savage combustion chamber is very forgiving.  I doubt that I ever had any detonation issues with that engine.  I was simply paranoid.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
wheelbender6

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/30/22 at 06:51:31

Wow. its very impressive that you achieved 41 hp (at the rear wheel?) with the stock DR cam. I assumed that you had installed some custom ground cam that revved to 9 grand and required big valve train upgrades to get 41 hp, DBM.
I doubt I will go past the "low hanging fruit" recipe in your stage 1 dyno test thread. That should be plenty of fun for me.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 11:11:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Drill out stock muffler?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.