Compression Project (Read 996 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Compression Project
08/30/19 at 14:47:11

The project I’m about to discuss is a bit over the top.  It’s difficult and risky, but the results have been more than gratifying.  There are still some bugs to work out, but I’m making progress.  Some of you will think it’s a totally crazy approach, others may like the idea.  Either way, it’s worth a look.

I have a thirst for quench.  If you Google search “cylinder head quench clearance”, you will find all sorts of experts advocating good, tight quench.  It’s the clearance between the flat portion of the piston top and the flat bottom of the cylinder head (around the combustion chamber).

As the piston nears TDC, fuel/air mixture trapped between the top of the piston and the cylinder head’s quench area squirts out at high velocity.  This increases turbulence, which promotes better air/fuel atomization and reduces the potential for detonation.

This is an illustration of a wedge combustion chamber.  The S40 uses a pentroof.  The concept is the same.  Squeeze & squirt.

Quench_Sketch.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Compression Project
Reply #1 - 08/30/19 at 14:48:51

You should be able to run significantly higher compression if your engine is set up with proper quench.  Depending on the engine setup, optimum quench clearance is usually around .025” to .070”.  I personally like .040” on a street engine.

The Savage engine, for all intents and purposes, has no useful quench.  That’s because the stock savage engine is set up with a deck height of minus .162” and a head gasket thickness of .028”, for a total of .190” between the flat portions of the head and the piston top (when the piston is at TDC).

I present to you “The Problem”.

Deck_Negative_162_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 08/30/19 at 14:51:12

Not only does our engine have a dismal 8.5:1 compression ratio, it also has no quench area because the piston never gets close enough to the cylinder head to create any useful turbulence.

Some of you are running a Wiseco high compression piston.  The Wiseco increases the compression by filling some of the combustion chamber with a pop-top dome, but the portions of the piston that overlap the flat surfaces of the head still remain a good .165” away at TDC.  Result, no high velocity squirt.  I’m not knocking the Wiseco.  It is an inexpensive and easy way to amp up your compression.  It just doesn’t create any quench, and I want some quench.

I present to you “The Solution”.

Deck_New_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 08/30/19 at 14:55:23

If you bring the flat top of the stock piston closer to the cylinder head at TDC, you accomplish two things.  First, the obvious bump in compression ratio.  Second, the quench area is tightened up significantly.

Through direct measurement with a depth micrometer, I confirmed that on the stock engine the top of the piston at TDC sits exactly .162” below the top surface of the cylinder.  This is the deck height.

Combine this negative deck height with the thickness of the head gasket and you arrive at the stock quench clearance.

To determine the compressed height of the head gasket, I clamped a used gasket between a set of torque plates and tightened the fasteners to 24 ft-lbs.  The head gasket is .027” to .028” thick when compressed.

Head_Gasket_Thickness_1_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 08/30/19 at 14:57:25

So, the negative deck height of .162” combined with the head gasket thickness of .028” results in the piston being situated exactly .190” from the head at TDC.

Since my favorite quench clearance is .040”, I would need to reduce the cylinder height by .150” to achieve my desired quench clearance.  
Another option would be to increase the piston compression height (distance from the centerline of the wrist pin to the flat top of the piston) by .150”.

Both options have tall hurdles to clear.

Lobbing .150” off the top of the cylinder requires machine tools and will result in the cam chain going loose as a goose.  Also, it will retard cam timing, possibly cause interference problems between valves & piston, and create fit-up issues with the forward chain guide, dowels, etc.  I have the machinery, correcting the cam timing is easy, resolving the fit-up issues is straight forward, but that loose cam chain might be a hard problem to solve.

Installing a piston with an additional .150” compression height will require a special order (minimum purchase, ten pistons).  Also, increasing the compression height affects the thrust action of the piston skirt which, IMO, would require engineering analysis (i.e. Wiseco engineering staff should be giving this modification a good look.)  Piston thrust is affected by placement of the wrist pin, the length of the connecting rod, the stroke, angular velocity, etc.  Way above my pay grade.

I’m not willing to throw down a big wad of cash on ten special pistons (nine of which I don’t need), but I really want to see how this engine will perform with proper quench.  I decided to satisfy my thirst for quench by lobbing off the top of the cylinder.  If I can figure out a way to deal with the loose cam chain, maybe I can prove that the engine runs great with tight quench, and in the process conjure up some additional forum members who might be interested in the special piston.

No guts no glory.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 08/30/19 at 14:58:30

The first thing to do is figure out what sort of compression ratio we can expect with the quench tightened to .040”, and then figure out the anticipated dynamic compression.  I use the compression calculators at rbracing-rs.com.

Their calculator for static compression ratio requires bore (3.703”), stroke (3.700”), combustion chamber volume (57cc), piston top volume (2cc, more on this later),  head gasket thickness (.028”), and deck height (.040” quench - .028” gasket = .012” desired negative deck height).

The static compression ratio worked out to 10.9:1 with .040” quench clearance.  That’s kinda high for 92 octane pump gas in a 94mm bore.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 08/30/19 at 15:00:23

Their calculator for dynamic compression requires the static compression ratio (10.9), exact length of the connecting rod (centerline of rod bearing to centerline of wrist pin is 6.573”), intake valve closing point @ .050” lift (DR650 cam closes intake at 34 degrees ABDC, .050” lift), elevation above sea level (my garage is 650 feet), boost pressure (0), and the usual data on bore, stroke, etc.

The dynamic compression calculator predicts cranking pressure will be 217 psi with static compression at 10.9.  I think that’s gonna be too high.
Maybe I can make do with .060” quench.  Recalculating using .060” quench I get static CR 10.4:1 and cranking pressure predicted to be 205 psi.  I would prefer around 190 psi but I also prefer .040” quench.  It’s a compromise.

So now, instead of lobbing .150” off the cylinder to achieve .040” quench, I will be lobbing off .130” to achieve .060” quench.  That should be way better than .190” pseudo quench.

Looks like I’m shooting for .060” quench, 10.4:1 compression ratio, 205 psi cranking pressure.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 08/30/19 at 15:02:09

Lobbing .130” from the cylinder top will bring the entire head .130” closer to the piston.  At TDC, that could cause a problem with valve interference.  I don’t want the valves clobbering the piston (or should I say the piston clobbering the valves?).  Solution, cut valve reliefs into the top of the piston.  The volume of the four valve reliefs was a total of 2cc.  That value was used in the static compression ratio calculation.

Finished_Junk_Piston_1_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #8 - 08/30/19 at 15:03:22

What about the cam chain?

Way back when I was testing the Fastman’s (Fast650’s) HammerHead, I tried to figure out exactly what would happen if I lowered the head .125”.  I made an eccentric bushing that would simulate a .125” drop in cam centerline.

The bushing, when inserted into the cam sprocket and supported by a dummy camshaft, simulates the cam situated .125” lower, very close to how things would be if I lobbed .130” off the top of the cylinder.  

Eccentric_Bushing_1_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #9 - 08/30/19 at 15:05:09

With the eccentric bushing installed things looked like this.

Eccentric__Jack_Bolt_1_3.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #10 - 08/30/19 at 15:06:40

And of course, the situation at the cam chain tensioner was dismal at best.  Not only was the tensioner plunger extended to 27mm (very bad), but the drive & slack sides of the chain were dangerously close.  Look at the chain just above the tensioner.  This would have to be corrected.  The Verslagy tensioner mod can only do so much.  I’m fixin to drop this head another .005” from where this photo shows.

27mm_Jack_Bolt_Loose_4_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #11 - 08/30/19 at 15:08:40

The tensioner started out at 13.5mm.  When I lowered the sprocket .125” the tensioner plunger extended another 13.5mm to a total of 27mm extension.  So, we are lookin at about 2.7mm plunger extension for every .025” change in head elevation.  Try to remember that number, it will come in handy later.

I looked at using a cam chain with two less pins.  The stock chain is 132 pins.  A GSXR-1000 uses a chain with the same pitch & width and only 130 pins.  With the eccentric bushing still in place, I tried installing an open chain with two less pins.  It won’t go on, too tight.  The shorter chain idea is a non-starter.

Verslagen’s post in the tech section regarding his trick tensioner has a comment by a member named Aeres.  It seems Aeres was able to take a bunch of slack out of his (or her) cam chain by bending the rear guide to increase the arc.  I figured I might be able to increase the arc in the guide with an adjustable bolt.  I call it a jack bolt.  Turning clockwise would cause the jack bolt to push on the back side of the guide and force the upper portion of the guide to arc out into the chain.  I gave the concept a try on the HammerHead.

I spot faced the area on the cylinder head just behind the rear chain guide.  Then drilled and tapped 3/8-NF threads.

Jack_Bolt_Spotface_2_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #12 - 08/30/19 at 15:09:45

Then I installed a jack bolt such that it would push on the back of the tensioner when I screwed the jack bolt in.  Note that the tensioner plunger that was extended 27mm is now extended only 13mm.  The pawl is removed from the tensioner for test purposes.  You can screw the jack bolt in and out and watch the tensioner plunger move.  When the jack bolt is screwed in, the plunger retracts.  When the jack bolt is screwed out, the plunger extends.  It seemed to work good.

13mm_Restored_2_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 08/30/19 at 15:10:22

Yes, but you'll only get 2 small quench areas due to the 4 valve configuration.

WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #14 - 08/30/19 at 15:11:24

Here is a look at the jack bolt assembly installed on my Stage II head.  In this photo the jack bolt is backed out all the way.

Jack_Bolt_5_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 11:14:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Compression Project

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.