Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Aftermarket gages - what works and what to avoid (Read 46 times)
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Aftermarket gages - what works and what to avoid
05/29/22 at 18:42:44

I want to go with a speedo and tach that mounts in front of the bars, and ditch the stock set up in the tank.  There are so many options on the web I am interested in who has used what, and the experiences (good, bad, broke too quick?).

Analog or digital?
Speedo/tach combo or separate gages?

I would prefer to run a GPS speedo and not hassle with a wheel sensor.  There are a lot of options that talk of ratios with the non-GPS units.  What ratio works with the Savage?  I don't want to run the stock since I have changed the diameter of both wheels, and converted to chain/sprockets.  I would love to hear some experiences from the group.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Aftermarket gages - what works and what to avo
Reply #1 - 05/29/22 at 19:38:18

Rife it. You will eventually see your don't need a tach. The speedo is something you only need in the school zone.
I Wanted a tach,too, but by the time I found one,, meh,just didn't really Need it. It's a really old design ,it's rude and crude, get comfortable with it. It's great, straight off the showroom floor.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #2 - 05/29/22 at 20:41:19

The GPS gauges work great as long as you arent always in a heavy tree area.  

The antenna needs to be mounted in a place that isnt too hidden.  I have had them in the light bucket, on the bottom triple, and under the gauge housing and those locations have worked fine.

Some have mounted them on top of the brake master cylinder for maximum view of the sky, but personally I dont like the look of it and have found good results on less obvious locations.

It just needs 12v power and your good to go pretty much.

If you get one with a tach it will get the signal off of the ground on the coil.  Its usually the falling voltage of the 12v coming from the points to the coils for firing signal that they read.  Usually they can be programmed according to how many fires its seeing per engine  revolution.  Therefore you can program the tach for pretty much any amount of cylinders, even 2 stroke bikes.  Like 2 pulses per stroke, or 0.5 pulses per stroke.  They vary between bikes but its pretty simple to program.

WWW   IP Logged
wheelbender6

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/30/22 at 06:27:02

I have used one of these combo gauges with good results. Speedo connects to your stock cable. Cheap and it works, but no GPS. I plug in my Tomtom nav unit from my car to get GPS speeds.
https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Speedometer-Keenso-Waterproof-Tachometer/dp...

Here is a GPS speedo for well under $100. I have not tried it myself.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=motorcycle+gauge+cluster&crid=12W9B0YADAT7L&sprefi...

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #4 - 05/31/22 at 13:06:52

I have an Acewell unit on my Street Tracker and just love the unit. Check out their instrument clusters, you'll see something you like.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 23:59:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Aftermarket gages - what works and what to avoid

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.