SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Dual Sport Anyone ?
Reply #30 - 02/04/22 at 12:27:40

MMRanch wrote on 02/04/22 at 09:21:27:
Kawasaki 1971 F7 175 on ebay ?

Looks like your 125 Dave ?

The F6 125 and F7 175 were nearly identical.  The only change to the engine was a bore increase to get the extra 50cc, a larger carb, and I believe they put electronic ignition on the 175.  The stripes were changed from red to bluish purple on the 175.

Both bikes had rotary valve engines and they ran really well for their size.  They had a lot of torque for a 2 stroke.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #31 - 02/04/22 at 13:00:18

Yea , I'm done with points and condenser if I can help it.    Them old Honda twins were great machines ... but ... keeping them going might not be easy ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #32 - 02/07/22 at 09:57:39

Well how you liking that DR 200 MM ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #33 - 02/07/22 at 13:55:33

Well how you liking that DR 200 MM ?

Yea Ruttly I like it .   There are some very big differences in street tires and dual sport tires I had forgot about !

Those dual sport tires don't corner anywhere near as good as the street tires !  

This DR200SE only has 2100 miles on it and the original tires are still on it.

The story so far ... its been cold outside here in TN. :
    It gets down to 20 mph in 5th gear with no problem and still pulls off when asked to.
    It runs up to 65 mph very easy , I'll wind it out after the weather warms up a little .
    Taking off in second gear makes more sense than taking off in first .  I might change the sprockets for that , and the top speed too ?
    The 248 pounds is nice !
    I'll get a luggage rack before too long and put either a milk crate or a small soft bike trunk ?  Huh
    I understand it should get near 90mpg , but it starts without the choke in 60 deg. weather , I might visit that latter ?
    The bike has set-up for a few years and the mid-range has a dead spot - Sea Foam is working on that now !  Wink

So far the only disappointment has been it spins the tire on wet mud easier than I would have thought .   The last dirt bike I had was a Honda XR200 with full knobblies these dual sport tires aren't even close to what the full Knobblies were .   The rear tire is about 1/2 gone already so I'll be dealing with the traction issue soon enough .  Smiley   Its a 18" so lots of options are out there !

Thanks for asking , I think we all should have one of them , Suzuki 200cc is 20 HP , don't know for sure about the other brands ?  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #34 - 02/08/22 at 11:05:35

MM , It does have a happy button ?  I wish my TLR 200 had a happy button. I may have to put a later model XR 230 in it , more power , more torque and a happy button , no brainer!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #35 - 02/08/22 at 17:00:55

more torque and a happy button

Huh

I'm guessing  that would be a "Starter" button ?   Smiley

I had a Yamaha XS-650 without one ... That was the first bike I ever missed having one on.   But it usually started on the first or second kick - if ya kicked like ya meant it!   Grin

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #36 - 02/19/22 at 20:16:28

Well , the tires are 2004 vintage with only 2100 miles on them ,

but

I just ordered a new set of Shinko 700's for it just because those old tires worry me a little.

I also went up from 100/90-18 to a 4.60-18 on the rear and a little larger on the front too , 70/90-21 to a 3.00-21.   I'm sure they will fit , and I hope they aren't heavier enough to make much difference.  

I started to go with the Shinko 705's adventure tires , but I have two street bikes so keeping the knobblies seems like a good idea.  The Shinko 700's get good reviews for running the roads some too !   These are 60/40 tires.

« Last Edit: 02/20/22 at 20:20:45 by MMRanch »  

Shinko-700-tires.jpg

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #37 - 04/01/22 at 04:38:43

Well - I got a dual sport....maybe even one of the "first"!

It is only 7HP - but it does have a dual range transmission, big rack, altitude compensating carb, and in it's prime got 100 mpg or so.

It does need some attention to get it back into shape to be a daily rider.  The front tire is original and 48 years old....the back tire is only 22 years old - both tires, rims and spokes are going to be replaced.  Same with the brake shoes, fork boots and seals, rear shocks....and the engine could use new gaskets and seals to be completely oil tight.  The frame and swing arm need to be painted to fix the damage done when an old battery leaked acid.

It is definitely old school..........

IMG_9942.JPG

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #38 - 04/01/22 at 10:23:04

And if you get in too much trouble you can carry it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #39 - 04/01/22 at 13:39:36

I used to like the IRC-110 on my DP bike.
Notice the center knobs overlap creating a more solid run down the middle of the tire.  Less cupping wear on the knobs with street use.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #40 - 04/01/22 at 21:19:19

Hay I like that tire ... I just got the Shinko 700's mounted so they have to wear out first (can't be "waisting" anything).   Wink

Congradulatiions Dave , I had thought about the Trail 125 ... but the old 90 is more than I would want to take on !  Undecided

I know it will be looking good when you get it all fixed up !   Smiley

We need to have an "Adventure" with our dirt bikes when you get your ready .  
You are keeping it "Street Legal" aren't ya ?   Huh

There should be an epic but mild dirt trail somewhere that someone on this site knows about. ?  

Heck , by time the Trail 90 is up and running good there may be more than just the two of us ?  Roll Eyes

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #41 - 04/02/22 at 03:51:07

Yes the bike will be street legal and licensed.  It will likely become my bike for short trips to the hardware store.

The bike originally had 2.75x17 Yokohama knobbies - those are no longer available.  The only real options are a trials tread tire - or the Shinko 244 dual sport tire which was originally called the Golden Boy!  (Seems the name created by the oriental marketing team doesn't translate very well and create a rugged image).

The tire gets really good reviews from the dual sport community and offers really good road and trail performance at a budget price.

Shinko244.PNG

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #42 - 04/02/22 at 09:50:42

Hay !

Those look like the ones that came on my DR200 that I just replaced !!

The rear was wore down enough to not have grip on wet woods floor.   And they were 2004 vintage too !!!   Roll Eyes     I would have left them on for a bit more ... but ... 18 years old is old enough that I didn't feel good about ridding the road with them .  

So , your putting the original size back on it ?  

I was watching a vidio of the Yamaha TW200 going places that mine won't go and got the idea that I should have gone with a fatter shorter tire ... but I've got these on there now so till they wear our ... What it is - is - What it is ! Grin

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-att-att_001&ei=UTF-8&hsimp=yhs-
att_001&hspart=att&p=yamaha+200+motorcycle&type=sbc_dial#id=3&vid=0c525d3a46b34d
670e353d4245ad9e22&action=click

In Kentucky at the Boone Park  .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdc96bp6alo

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #43 - 04/02/22 at 10:38:01

MMRanch wrote on 04/02/22 at 09:50:42:
So , your putting the original size back on it ?  

I am going as close to original as I can.  The original was a 2.75x17 and they don't make that size in a dual sport tire....the closest I can come is a 2.50x17 front which they claim is almost the same size as the original - and the rear is a 3.00x17 which is just a bit wider.  With only 7HP there really isn't an excess of HP to drive big tires.  I really don't want trials tires as they just don't look right on the bike....it needs a more aggressive tire to look like it originally did.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #44 - 04/02/22 at 10:41:21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdc96bp6alo

In your neighborohood

I chose a Dry ride/day !  I got muddy one time ... but didn't like it much .  Smiley

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 21:53:04

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dual Sport Anyone ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.