MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Dual Sport Anyone ?
01/28/22 at 15:28:38

Hay ,

I put a bid in on a DR200 today.   Its a Kawasaki dealer in one of the next town over.

He took it in on trade in for a Kawasaki 230 pure dirt bike.  The owner of the shop had the idea to keep it for the rear bumper of his RV , and didn't want to let it go.
So
I reminded him that he can't do that ... and that he's a KAWASAKI Dealer , that he can't be seen ridding a Suzuki !!  Roll Eyes

I left him my phone # and an offer of $2,500.    I'll bet he didn't give anything near that for "Trade-in-value" ?

We'll see if he calls .   I think January sales at a bike shop is the lowest month of the year ?   Undecided

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Dual Sport Anyone ?
Reply #1 - 01/28/22 at 17:13:29

I am kinda' sorta' in the market for one....when the right one comes along.  It would be nice to have a bike for the camper.....and I really would like to go ride in Moab, Utah....or some other remote off road area out west before I get too old.

I think a 250 is a nice size if you don't want to go over 60mph and are OK with staying off the interstate.  I owned a Kawasaki Super Sherpa for a few thousand miles.  It was a nice bike for local rides - at 282 pounds it was a bit heavy for a 250cc dirt bike!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #2 - 01/28/22 at 20:55:05

I like the Yamaha XT250 , TW200 , and the Suzuki Van-Van  too.   They are all below 300#'s.

I'd think the  Kawasaki Super Sherpa would fit right in with the group .  Do ya wish ya still had it once in a while ?

Sloans have these for $3k new :  https://sloansmotorcycle.com/Murfreesboro-Tennessee-37129/New-2022-Benelli-TNT1
35/VDP/796a492e-65a2-4cac-8e63-397ed3cc65ce

But the fuel tanks are 1.9 gallon but that should be 150 miles ?

« Last Edit: 01/29/22 at 08:52:16 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #3 - 01/29/22 at 00:21:53

Wow MM , you did good you , almost made it a month
But I guess it doesn’t count , you haven’t bought it yet
I gotta go laughing so hard my side hurts
Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 01/29/22 at 07:51:08

I gotta go laughing so hard my side hurts
You might not have realized it but your laughing with me !    Grin Grin Grin Grin

Hay Ruttly

There are so many differently fun looking bikes out there which one do you want to have for a while ?

Warning : Don't watch moto cross on utube !   Roll Eyes
https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=youtube+moto+cross+videos&hspart=att&hsimp
=yhs-att_001&type=sbc_dial

Remember : Life is short , live fully !   Wink

Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 01/29/22 at 08:30:54

DR 200 is a excellent choice , nothing to fear with a little thumper , an eye dropper for a carb , killer mpg , go anywhere it gets traction , nothing but fun and huge smiles. Great bikes for short errands and trail riding all day long.

Still laughing

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #6 - 01/29/22 at 08:45:48

My dual purpose bike is a 1986 Honda TLR 200 Reflex. Restored with many improvements , a street legal trials bike , my old man vintage bike. And my buddy has 70s Kawasaki 125/175 enduro that’s all OEM , 2 very cool functional vintage dual purpose bikes of the era.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #7 - 01/29/22 at 11:02:16

Hay that  Honda TLR 200 Reflex looks as good as the Suzuki DR200 does !  I had to look to see what a TRL was.  Roll Eyes

I'm hoping the guy decides to sell it but don't know that he will. ??   Undecided

I like the looks of the Himalaya too , but ... for as tall as it is , its almost too heavy .   I went to the dealer a few weeks ago and sat on one for a nice long spell .   But the 80mph top end would be nice  and the 411cc of low speed pull would be good too.  the 200cc bikes are about 150#'s lighter.   Heck , far as I know one could lower the Himalaya till it wasn't top heavy anymore ?

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 01/29/22 at 11:24:10

I would like to own a Reflex.  I just had the chance to buy an Ossa MAR 350.  I have always wanted to own one.  It was ran well and had been maintained - but it was dropped a lot and to be presentable the fiberglass tank and other bodywork would have needed to be replaced ($1,500), and the bike was never titled or licensed.....that would be a problem for me in Kentucky and I could never get it titled/licensed.  Going through the motions of getting it titled/licensed in another state and then transferring it over to KY just seemed like too much of a hassle.  Plus - hauling a stinky Pre-Mix 2 stroke in my camper would have caused some friction between me and my significant other.

I had also been toying with the idea of getting a Trail 90/110.  The Reflex would be a whole lot more satisfying.

I really should get a bike that can go in the camper.....and that we could ride double for short distances.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #9 - 01/29/22 at 16:12:20

It’s got lots of goodies on it , stock wet weight was 240 lbs,got it down to 220 lbs with turn signals & mirrors. Might do 50 mph , geared low enough to climb anything I might be stupid enough to try. Air down the radial rear trials tire when things get tough , it goes anywhere just not at freeway speeds.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 01/29/22 at 16:38:55

I "think" I want to ride this kind of stuff before I am a geezer.

I rode/raced dirt as a kid, I feel qualified to ride like this - I just haven't done it in 40 years (I did ride trials 2009 - 2014 when I owned my Sherco).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PQ_-SmF_wo

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #11 - 01/29/22 at 19:45:28

Hay Dave ,

Don't you have a F800GS ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aISS71a_NyQ

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 01/30/22 at 08:24:37

MMRanch wrote on 01/29/22 at 19:45:28:
Hay Dave ,
Don't you have a F800GS ?

No - I have a GT, which is the most touring oriented version of the F800.

The F800ST had a bit smaller bodywork, lower handlebars, footpegs set farther back and a smaller windscreen - later they improved the bike for more comfort and named it the "GT".
The F800GS is the adventure touring version with more off road ability.
The F800R is the naked version of the bike.

The GS is more off road capable with more suspension travel, less bodywork, more ground clearance, more protection if it falls over, and chain drive.  The seat height is about 34 inches - that is a bit tall for my 30" inseam. A friend that owned a GS felt like BMW designed the gearbox for the road versions of the bike, as first gear was a bit too tall for off road.  If you geared the bike down for better use of 1st gear off road - then the road ability suffered.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #13 - 01/30/22 at 17:58:12

I agree with the guys in the first video , #300# is plenty of bike for those kind of roads !   Wink

I couldn't help but wonder ???

Those guys in the first video were going over the mountain down into the valley below.
All fine and good , right !
Well
Those bikes they were on might not be so good as taking the long way around back  to their trucks on the other side ?
So !!!!
I want the see the video of them going back up the back side !  Grin Grin Grin

Even better would be to watch that guy on the F800 going up the back side ?    Grin Grin Grin Grin

I'm thinking a trip to Cade's Cove might be adventure enough for me. ???

A skid plate and dual sport tires on a Savage ?   Huh   Naw , the gearing would be all wrong .  

Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #14 - 01/31/22 at 09:48:11

My little Honda loves mountain passes, but looses some power in elevation , it might not keep pace with bigger bikes but then again slow enough to enjoy the scenery, lol . I’ve had it far beyond off road trails on to hiking trails and close to some peaks until the terrain and the remoteness begins to , well maybe not scare me but make me realize I may have taken a quiet trail ride and turned it into an extreme adventure and this is no place to crash. It’s easy to get in trouble when alone up there. No big power definitely not fast but it will take you farther up a mountain than you ever expected to go. Big Fun.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 04:24:14

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dual Sport Anyone ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.