Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Quick question unrelated (Read 68 times)
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Quick question unrelated
10/05/21 at 20:11:46

So I have been posting about my new ride, a Honda Fury. It came without a key for fork lock. A lot of members have other rides and are familiar with different brands and such. My question is has anyone seen a fork lock set-up like on Fury and if so, how do you remove the rivet that holds it in. Attached a picture. The rivet holds the lock cylinder in the fork frame.

It appears to be a drive set rivet. I have talked with 2 locksmiths, one said you try to pry it out with chisel and if it all goes bad you cut head off and drill it out. The other said you take a hack saw blade and cut a slot in it for a screw driver and try turning it out.

A lot of folks here have seen these sort of things in other fab and build applications, wondering if anyone knows how it works. The Fury forums seem less then useful for help with stuff like this, they just say the lock is useless and forget about it.

IMG_7568_001.jpg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Quick question unrelated
Reply #1 - 10/05/21 at 20:45:35

They put that ugly rivet and oversized washer on the fury?
somebody ought to be horse whipped.

That oversized washer looks like it's overhanging the top.
Tap it with a hammer and see if it loosens up.
If it does then keep going till you can get under the head with a pair of diacs then pry it out.

I wonder if that's the key code on the washer?

And supposedly you need the key to get the cylinder out once you remove the washer.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 10/06/21 at 03:18:48

Those numbers on the lock cylinder, and/or washer will likely mean something to a Honda dealer.  I would imagine that Honda can order you a new key using the code.

Do you know what dealer sold this bike?  If not - go to a "big" Honda dealer that has been around a while and see what they have to say.  If they say "NO" - get a second opinion from another Honda dealer.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #3 - 10/06/21 at 08:12:16

Guys, Thanks for reply. The number on washer is apparently useless to anyone, 2 different locksmiths and my local Honda dealer. Attempts on the Fury Forum have had lacking results, the first just generated replies of how that lock is useless. The second more specific about rivet removal got "Likes" but no actual responses.

Buying a new lock cylinder and keys from Honda is like $85.00, but Honda say's they don't have any and you have to track one down in a dealer inventory. Apparently they are not good about providing keys either, that is having them, even if you have the code. Locksmith said if I can get cylinder out it he would look at it and try to read it, but he did not seem to enthusiastic. He said if he had to work on the bike (take bike to him and have him remove it), it would be cheaper for me to take it to Honda and have them replace it.

Based on my feed back on Fury Forum and from the selling dealer, it was an independent shop, a lot of Fury owners loose them, or break them. apparently know one told them to wiggle the handle bars before trying to lock or unlock the forks. Fury forum comments were if you break the key in the lock with it locked, it's pretty easy to use the leverage of the wide beefy handlebars to just snap it.

Based on what I have learned so far I suspect Versy is maybe on right track. That washer is all that holds the cylinder in the forks. Cylinder has a little ridge on it that fits in a slot and stops it from spinning. That is one problem, without a key in the lock it must be carefully removed to stop all the tumblers from falling out. In the end it has to come out for either solution. I have a couple new rivets on order from Honda. So I won't do anything until I have them in hand.

Doing first real road trip on Fury tomorrow, it's a lunch run, 160 miles round trip to the famous Hot Dog Johnny's in Buttzville, NJ with a couple of my buds.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 10/07/21 at 14:10:30

I knew a guy who was living in Louisiana and had his car in a storage building in Odessa Texas. This goofball flew into Midland airport, took a taxi to the storage building and Then figured out he had left the car keys on his dresser, in Louisiana. He calls a locksmith at about two am.  The dude shows up and, Uhh, my friend, coff,Coff, holds the flashlight in amazement as ,uhh, he, watches the guy slip a key blank in, wiggle it, then eyeball it and file on it, until it opened the door. He then put it in the ignition and got it to work there.  That was in about1978, so for me, I mean my Friend, to get out for twenty bucks probably won't be how it goes today.

He told me, err, my friend, he usually charges a lot more at that time of day, but my, err, his curiosity and appreciation was more than he was used to seeing and he did it for cheap.

A 22" year old guy totally appreciated that..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 10/08/21 at 08:28:35

You can drill it out

...but they are pretty useless

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 10/08/21 at 10:50:03

To hijack a thread...
Why are fork locks useless?
Because the average guy can break them.
What if he couldn't?
If you make the lock stronger you'll just damage the steering spindle.
But what if instead of the lock engaging the spindle directly, it engages a stiff spring, but too stiff to allow steering.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 04:42:44

General CategoryThe Cafe › Quick question unrelated

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.