Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Evolution of a HotRod - Part 5 Camshaft (Read 250 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Evolution of a HotRod - Part 5 Camshaft
Reply #60 - 07/15/21 at 17:23:14

A cam installation wouldn’t be complete without a fuel economy test.  With the stock header, she went 54.7 miles on a gallon of 89 octane E-10.  With the Mac header it squeezed 55.6 miles out of a gallon.  I think that’s a wash.  The cam hasn’t had any effect on fuel economy.

Temperatures are the same.  Cruising on the freeway, oil temp is around 210°F and cylinder head temp (CHT) is around 310°F.  The cam doesn’t affect the temps.

Oil pressure is up slightly.  It runs 1.0 to 1.5 psig higher under all conditions (temp & rpm).  Seems logical, fewer holes = higher pressure.

The exhaust valve timing doesn’t seem to affect noise very much.  Using my iPad with the NIOSH app, the noise levels at 1300/3000/4000 rpm are 68/78/80 dB.  Looks like opening the exhaust valve 6° earlier raises the noise level about 1 dB.  I can live with that.  It’s still pretty quiet.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #61 - 07/15/21 at 17:25:46

This completes the cam shaft portion of the project.  The DR650 cam worked great.  It was easy to install, a true bolt-in.  No machining, no special tools.

Let’s take a look at the results using test data from the stock header setup (keeping the project simple &  cheap).  The setup includes a mostly stock engine, stock bore & stroke, stock compression ratio, stock cylinder head & valves, stock header pipe.  We have installed a DR650 cam ($230 or $366 with rockers), PWK38 carb ($28), K&N RD-0710 air filter ($40), modified airbox, catch can ($20), and LCGP 2.5” resonator with baffle ($100).

We have improved the overall performance of the motorcycle.  Carburetion is excellent but fuel economy is not as good as we achieved with the stock carburetor.  Backfiring has been eliminated.  Audible noise has increased a modest amount, but the quality of the exhaust note is more pleasing to the ear.  Compared to the box-stock motorcycle, third gear acceleration has improved by 5.24 seconds, and fifth gear passing acceleration has improved by 4.45 seconds (14.68 seconds if you run it all the way up to 5500 rpm).  It’s got some muscle now.

That’s pretty good, but the price tag is starting to creep up.  The DR cam will set you back about $230 bucks, and if you opt for new rocker arms you can add an additional $136 to the tab.  We’ve done some minor work on the engine that required a good understanding of cam timing.  Most of us could accomplish these simple modifications for under $560 bucks.  The tests show that in this state of tune it runs a bit better with the stock header.

Now it’s time to break out some special tools.  Next stop on the Power Train?  Flywheel.  Let’s see what happens when we lob off some of that rotating mass.  Part 6 will install a three-inch flywheel.

At this point, I have done 171 WOT acceleration pulls to dial in the different combinations.  There’s a little over 2400 miles on the engine since it was restored to box-stock configuration.  The old girl is still holdin up good.  No leaks.  No ugly noises.  Not using any oil.  Just a bit of oil accumulating in the catch-can (possibly due to the stratospheric rpm).  It’s still a solid motor.

I hope some of you find this project informative and can use the data I collect to help make decisions on your own project.  If you have suggestions or comments on my test methods, post a reply so we can discuss.   As mentioned earlier, if you have a particular component or modification that you would like to see included, let me know and we can collaborate.

Best regards, Mike          

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #62 - 07/18/21 at 13:46:10

Awesome work as always!
Thanks!
Interested in seeing the pop top piston and the big bore pop top piston.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/08/24 at 12:48:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Evolution of a HotRod - Part 5 Camshaft

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.