Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Survey --- Win 10 is dying, Win 11 involves $$$$$$ (Read 363 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Re: Survey --- Win 10 is dying, Win 11 involves $$
Reply #15 - 07/15/21 at 17:49:07

I have two Linux mint desktop computers, a 2014 win 10 Acer laptop, upgraded from win 7. Plus 2 kindle fire 10" tablets. I use the Linux machine for most things, to preserve the laptop, and the laptop for zoom meetings. I know you can use zoom with Linux, but I haven't tried it. At the moment, they are all working ok.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #16 - 07/15/21 at 21:08:33

Come to think of it, I've used Zoom on Linux.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #17 - 07/16/21 at 13:02:20

Zoom works fine on Linux? I'll have to try it.

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #18 - 07/16/21 at 18:45:12

I personally use Zoom on linux (Ubuntu, Linux Mint). Last year when our church was on Zoom instead of meeting in person, I picked up a couple of (cheap)older Win 7 era laptops that didn't have enough umph to run Windows 10. Loaded Linux Mint and Zoom and gave them to a couple of members that didn't have computers.

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #19 - 07/17/21 at 07:13:17

to use it on my desktop ,I'd have to use a webcam. I wonder how that would work?

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #20 - 07/17/21 at 09:46:33

Quote:
to use it on my desktop ,I'd have to use a webcam. I wonder how that would work?

On a linux desktop? Should not be a problem. For Ubuntu and Linux MInt and Manjaro, most webcams are just plug and play, no extra drivers needed. The only webcam that didn't work was an ancient Logitech ball-looking thing that I picked up at a garage sale. A Microsoft lifecam, a newer Logitech, and a RockSoul just worked.

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #21 - 07/17/21 at 16:43:18

Thanks, Mines a microsoft! I connected it . It works, but kind of fuzzy.I think you can focus it by turning the lens. I installed zoom . We'll see . Thanks

« Last Edit: 07/17/21 at 19:03:09 by rl153 »  
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #22 - 08/08/21 at 12:10:15

I opted to get out of the Windows rat race the last go-round also. My system at the time was an ancient p4 with 4gb running win xp. Since I had already been bypassed by several "upgrades" that I chose not to do due to their machine requirements and my windows box decided to have interrupt controller problems again (new motherboard time), I started looking for other solutions.

Thanks to OF and his support of Linux Mint as a good, useable platform, I bought a little zotac with a dual core atom and 2 gb for $25. It ran Mint 17 great and was as fast at most stuff as my 2.8ghz p4. It had a wonderful Nvidia One video processor and would play 1080p video at 25%  processor utilization allowing me to watch video in a window while doing other stuff. Something I could never do on my old windows box.

I recently upgraded to an almost 10 year old Dell Precision T-1600 workstation with E3-1245 quad-core Xeon processor at 3.3ghz, dual monitor capable, dvd-rw and 4gb ram for $49 from a surplus sales site. What a screamer running Linux Mint 19. I haven't had or missed windows since my old machine died. I'm not spied on by my os or half the software on the machine which reduces overhead. I don't need any online subscriptions to run software I was once able to buy and use as long and as much as I wanted. I won't be subject to Microsoft's censorship which they have said will be coming soon and my wallet isn't being constantly drained by forced upgrades and personal information being sold either.

Thanks OF. I'm glad I took the plunge. It's much more stable than any version of windows I have ever used. The learning curve was very small for Mint. It worked right out of the "box" with everything in my system.

I am forced to use windows at work doing typesetting using Adobe software. 3.6ghz with 8gb and I find myself sitting there waiting on it to do the same things that just pop right up on my home system. The boss is getting sort of "put out" by the 'we need a new computer' every few years due to forced upgrades. And, of course, software upgrades since the old stuff doesn't work and play well with the new windows. He doesn't understand anything about a computer but does understand very well when it impacts his bottom line by having to buy new computers and software because the old one isn't powerful enough anymore or the old software keeps crashing under the new windows. He really gets it when we lose half a day's work due to glitchy software problems. I keep hoping I can get him off the windows bandwagon but he thinks we can't work without it.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #23 - 08/08/21 at 13:39:13

In retrospect I would have done my journey differently.

I was afraid, so I dual booted Win XP and later Win 10.   I still like (prefer) my Mint Mate because it runs all the same control letter keystroke shortcuts from Win XP.  

I am a creature of habit, so this is simply a true thing for me.

If I had had more courage I could have saved years of dual booting agony with my Linux boxes.  Almost all my problems that came up came from the Windows side of things, and I still had to upgrade the box periodically because of this MS dependency.

My biggest positive move was DUMPING Windows completely and simply installing Mint Mate as the only OS on the machine.   Getting the MS Windows drivers OFF the machine helped simplify things GREATLY, and I do mean GREATLY.

Next, I should have learned the shortcuts and ins and outs of Libre Office earlier.    I assumed I needed to keep Office Word mainly for my wife, and that was simply incorrect.   Having swung over to Libre and getting used to the menus, I find I haven't had to learn a new word processor every 4 years as I had to do for my entire working career up until retirement.   Next, Libre instantly can do all the old MS formats, plus take an older "obsolete" MS file type and modernize it instantly (something MS wants to charge you a lot of money to do).

MS is a money leech.   Really, I mean it.

« Last Edit: 08/09/21 at 19:49:43 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #24 - 08/08/21 at 13:46:17

Hay OldFeller

My daughter is wanting me to buy her a computer .   If windows 10 is not a good choice ... then what should I get her ?

Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #25 - 08/08/21 at 13:58:13

Mike, who is the computer wizard who takes care of your computer stuff?

You need to answer this question honestly, then ask them what they recommend.

Me, I think your wizard sleeps in bed with you every night.

Something to consider, your wife buys you new machines every 2 years or there-abouts.   Give your daughter your current machine (or pull out the most modern older one) and just hold your breath a little bit until your wife gifts you with a new puppy.

You still have your old machines still and there is nothing wrong with them.   You still have your Mint DVD I sent you --- use this as an excuse to try it out.

Wink

Your wife will not be able to stand the agony watching you try to do the change-out, she will intervene on your behalf ......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #26 - 08/08/21 at 20:14:45

Your wife will not be able to stand the agony watching you try to do the change-out, she will intervene on your behalf ......  

OldFeller , you got somethings backwards.   Grin

When my Vista quit working I went to windows 10 , and when Marcia's Window's 7 quit , then she didn't want a 10 she wanted she wanted a windows 8 and I got her one.    Hay , I never could get the Mint DVD thing to load on the Vista ... could have been the Vista was already done in ?  Undecided

When we remodeled the kitchen ... a took the cow money from that year  to Lowes and she picked out what she wanted so I could put it in.
The cows do buy me a motorcycle once in a while too.    They (cows) may buy me a Himalaya this year ?  

I'm an idiot when it come to the computer world but she ask me what to do when something don't - "do easy".    

Your my Computer expert !  Wink    So daughter wants me to get her a computer and she's not even sure what she wants to do with it.  
I'd get her a windows 10 but should I ?  Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #27 - 08/08/21 at 20:46:48

is your daughter going to school?  there may be requirements.

otherwise, get her a cheap chromebook laptop until she knows what she wants.

WWW   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #28 - 08/09/21 at 03:11:21

Now, with respect, things that can stuff new Linux users 1/ your @ key is now your inverted commas key and your inveted commas key is now your @ key. 2/ Immediatley upon installing Linux you must check for Google Chrome Stable updates and install them, they come up regularly, you will also see a lot of other computer language updates, which you can install if you wish, you aren't being spoon/forcefed updates. 3/ fonts, these will have strange names, for instance, with Microsoft, my preference was for the ARIAL font, on Linux I get a thing called DEJA VU SANS, looks like ARIAL. Al this makes me wonder if MS hasn't somehow copyrighted keystrokes and fonts. 4/ you won't have a spell check unless you search in Linuxes many programs and find one. My 11 year old HP desktop seems to run ok, and it was a run out model when I brought it.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #29 - 08/09/21 at 06:04:27

Regarding linux fonts. Microsoft has released some of its copyrighted fonts (Arial, Times New Roman and others). Installing them on linux can make life easier if you are trading MS Office and Libreoffice files between operating systems. The instructions in the link works with Ubuntu/Debian-based distros (Ubuntu/Linux Mint/Pop OS and others).

https://itsfoss.com/install-microsoft-fonts-ubuntu/

There is also an Ubuntu/Debian software package call Ubuntu-restricted-extras that includes the fore-mentioned MS fonts + some additional media codecs + some other stuff that Ubuntu can't include in their standard distro because of licensing issues.

https://itsfoss.com/install-media-codecs-ubuntu/

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 02:34:43

General CategoryThe Cafe › Survey --- Win 10 is dying, Win 11 involves $$$$$$

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.